Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

161 - 180 of 210 Posts

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
CRS250: Why would your dog have to be sedated to have his blood drawn? I have drawn blood from pups and kittens so many times, never sedated. If my vet suggested sedation for blood drawing - I would have a fit.
Kenzie needed to be sedated for her first visit when she was 6months old. The blood draw is a jugular draw and they take a lot of tubes. A squirmy puppy combined with a needle in the jugular is not a good combination! She didn't need sedation for her second visit since she was calmer. They used a quick acting sedative that was reversed with a shot of something else.

·
Registered
763 Posts
:):):) Yay!! Cooper you're the best!!

Go to this link Golden Retriever Lifetime Study

and click "register my dog".

You will get a list of participating vets in your area and you will have the opportunity to send a request to your vet if they are not on the list.

Let me know if you run into any snags.

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
I went on the Morris Foundation annual report and they have done so much good for all the species. Betty White was a big part in some of their groundbreaking research. They say that this study will even help health issues for humans. They are rated four stars as a charity, which is the highest score. About 75 percent of their funds go into the research, which is high when compared to other charities. Only 7 percent is administrative. I think the bling they sent out is a form of advertising and foundation awareness. I would not be surprised if it was donated by one of their many partners who donate millions of dollars to them.

·
Cooper & Brady
286 Posts
I filled out everything and registered Cooper for the study. I am now at the find a vet part. I looked for my Vet and she is currently not listed as a participating vet. I would like to go to her, so how do you recommend that I talk to my vet about the study? I don't think she will be against participating, but I would like to give her correct information.

·
Registered
763 Posts
If you fill out the vet invitation section the study will send an informative invitation to your vet inviting them to the study. You could call them and let them know you're signing Cooper up and they'll be getting an invitation. If your vet has any further questions let me know and I will have a study veterinarian contact them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I haven't had time to read through this whole thread but Astro and I wanted to say hello - I am a new member here after having had Goldens for 19 years as an adult.

Astro was one of the first 50 Pilot dogs enrolled in the GRLS study and he is furry proud of himself. We are getting ready for our third annual exam in about a month. He was 4 months old in this picture and already a very serious young man!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
I filled out everything and registered Cooper for the study. I am now at the find a vet part. I looked for my Vet and she is currently not listed as a participating vet. I would like to go to her, so how do you recommend that I talk to my vet about the study? I don't think she will be against participating, but I would like to give her correct information.
I mentioned it to my vet at one of the critters annual appointment to get a feel for her thoughts on the study. She seemed receptive so I asked her directly before I signed Kenzie up. Many vets seem not to be aware of the study until an owner comes to them about it. I would maybe set up a short appointment to talk to your vet or even just drop off the materials for them to go over and check back in a day or so.

·
Cooper & Brady
286 Posts
I called her yesterday and spoke to her about it. She had heard of it but didn't have any clients that had shown interest. Dropped off some information this morning. She seems to be on board, but once I get a call from her, I'll know for sure. :)

·
Registered
7,407 Posts
I haven't had time to read through this whole thread but Astro and I wanted to say hello - I am a new member here after having had Goldens for 19 years as an adult.

Astro was one of the first 50 Pilot dogs enrolled in the GRLS study and he is furry proud of himself. We are getting ready for our third annual exam in about a month. He was 4 months old in this picture and already a very serious young man!

He looks like my Duke!
ImageUploadedByPG Free1398952406.805544.jpg

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
15 Posts
Tests completed for Golden Retriever Lifetime Study

Tests that are run: thyroid (t-4), heart worm, fecal analysis, urinalysis, CBC and super chem. NO CHARGE for these tests or shipping. You only pay for the vet visit and any charges for collection of the samples.

Thanks for your participation in the study. I volunteer for Morris. Want to invite you to join out FB group page: Golden Retriever Lifetime Study Supporters. Good place to ask questions, get tips and to volunteer to help recruit more owners, breeders and vets. Thanks!!

161 - 180 of 210 Posts