Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

181 - 200 of 210 Posts

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #181
This is from the lifetime supporters FB group- clarification from Morris Animal Foundation on the costs associated with the study:

"Morris Animal Foundation would like to acknowledge how much we appreciate your contribution to this comprehensive study and value the time you, your dog and your veterinarian will commit to this groundbreaking study. What individual veterinarians charge their clients is completely at their discretion. Antech Diagnostics donates the laboratory analyses and shipping costs for the study visits. However, this does not include the time and effort of the doctor and clinic staff to perform the physical examination, review the medical history, collect and process the samples and interpret the laboratory results. We encourage all owners to have a conversation about study costs with their veterinarian ahead of their appointment."
I actually save money with the study- if we weren't in the study we'd pay an exam fee of $50, lab fees of about $150 to $200 for a cost of $200 to $250. With the study I pay an extended exam fee of $100, no fees for labs or nail trim which normally costs $18.80, plus I get $75 back from the study in the debit card. I pay only $25 for my Golden's annual exam.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #183
I was able to copy the pdf in order to quote it here

Morris Animal Foundation would like to thank you
for considering enrollment in the Golden Retriever
Lifetime Study. If you choose to participate, we want
you to know that we greatly appreciate the time you,
your dog and your veterinarian will commit to this
groundbreaking study.
What individual veterinarians charge their clients is
completely at their discretion. Antech Diagnostics
donates the laboratory analyses and shipping costs
for the study visits. However, this does not include
the time and effort of the doctor and clinic staff to
perform the physical examination, review the
medical history, collect and process the samples
and interpret the laboratory results. We encourage
all owners to have a conversation about study costs
with their veterinarian ahead of their appointment.
If you have any questions, please contact the study
support line:
855-4GR-DOGS (855-447-3647)
or visit our website: Golden Retriever Lifetime Study

·
Polar & Pooklook's Dad
76 Posts
Hi everyone and thank you for creating this awesome thread. Cancer took our beloved Pooklook from us and I feel this study honors his life in an effort to save other goldens from such fate.
Our new kid, Polar Bear, is joining the cause and has just registered!
But I didn't get the vet invitation info/option... wonder if it is because he's just a few days shy of being 6mo. old? or did I make some sort of mistake in the registration...?
Did anybody encounter this situation?
Thanks,
...this is Polar Bear by the way

·
Registered
400 Posts
But I didn't get the vet invitation info/option... wonder if it is because he's just a few days shy of being 6mo. old? or did I make some sort of mistake in the registration...?
Did anybody encounter this situation?
Thanks,
...this is Polar Bear by the way
We signed up with our boy Murphy a few months back and had similar problems with the Vet sign up. We were the first client for our vet to have with the study and had to re-register the vet selection, even though they showed up on the website. I think it may have been a spam issue on our vets side, but we never got a straight answer about it. The kit arrived and we were able to setup the visit, get samples done etc. However the vet filled out portion of the survey required that they get the registration completed correctly. We re-selected the vet on the morris website and our vet got the email. Then I called in to the study and confirmed everything was processed correctly for Murphy's visit.

Our younger girl, Molly will be enrolling in a few months.

·
Polar & Pooklook's Dad
76 Posts
Hi, thanks for sharing your experience and advice,
The kit arrived and we were able to setup the visit, get samples done etc.
Did they send the kit to you or directly to your vet?
Then I called in to the study and confirmed everything was processed correctly for Murphy's visit.
Will definitely do that too just to confirm.
Our younger girl, Molly will be enrolling in a few months.
Bravo! Thank you and your kids!

·
Maggie runs Dad, admitted
802 Posts
Got my "Now that your puppy has reached 6 months of age you can....." Email this morning! I was really pleased that they are on the ball, she just turned 6 months on Friday and my wife and I were just discussing logging on to check the status as we wondered if they were keeping track from when we registered her at two months old.
Logged in and verified the name and address info I had entered months ago, entered the AKC registration numbers for her and sire and dam , agreed to the study terms then completed my long questionnaire and it then prompted me to find my vet, he was already listed in their database, it then prompted me to send the official invite to him email which I did. I have already talked to him about it and we were just waiting for the 6 month mark to be official so I expect no problems going forward.
I expect the next step will be a "congratulations you are accepted, we are mailing you a collection kit, make your first appointment, etc etc etc. email"
Excited to be a part of the study and just wanted to share my registration/application steps so far in case anyone is considering joining and wanted clarification on the process.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Did they send the kit to you or directly to your vet?
They sent the kit directly to us which we took to the vets office for them to look over prior to our first visit. This may not be the usual process as this was our vets first participant in the study. When we received it we called the vet and they asked us to drop it off prior to our first visit so they could look over the contents. Our vets office is walking distance for us so it was not inconvenient.

·
Mom to Oatmeal too!
503 Posts
Oatmeal just turned six months yesterday and I also got the "your puppy is now 6 months" email. I can't wait to fill out the rest of the details and have her become an official member of the 3,000 strong goldens in the study. I'm also really glad that my vet seems really excited about this study and was even asking me about bringing in the test kit beforehand so he could look things over. I guess it helps that he's a retriever kind of guy!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Finnegan is all registered to be in a lifelong study. I've talked to my vet and she will help anyway she can. I've had two goldens, one is just awesome (Declan) he just turned 14 on July 28th 2014. The second turned 6 last summer but sadly passed away suddenly from what only could be described as a massive heart attack. Guinness was very active and healthy but one Sunday he was running to me in the yard and dropped at my feet. There is no way to describe it. I've got Finnegan now and he is only 5 months old. He will start his study in one more month ImageUploadedByPG Free1406776129.264111.jpg ImageUploadedByPG Free1406776156.025856.jpg

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #195
On February 4, 2015 enrollment for the Golden Retriever Lifetime Study was closed. From our supporter Facebook group:

Study Registration is Now Full
Thank you for your interest in our study. We are excited to inform you that the Golden Retriever Lifetime Study is currently full. We would like to take this opportunity to thank the 3000 golden retrievers and their owners enrolled for their support of this groundbreaking study. Please direct all enrollment status questions to the study call center at 855-447-3647.
As always, we appreciate your support of Morris Animal Foundation.
To find out more about this study and the other work that Morris Animal Foundation funds please visit Morris Animal Foundation | Morris Animal Foundation
Phone calls are going out to those in the enrollment process now, letting you know if you made the cut off and have a spot reserved, or if you will not have a spot.

I listened to a podcast that stated they will spend at least $25,000,000 for this study and it might possibly (depends on the sponsors) end at the point where 500 Goldens in it are diagnosed with one of four cancers:
1. Lymphoma
2. Osteosarcoma
3. Hemangiosarcoma
4. Mast Cell Tumors

They want to identify the genetic, nutritional and environmental risk factors for these four cancers. They will also be collecting data for all sorts of other health, environmental and behavioral issues and that information may also be useful to researchers.

If you are one of the 3000 participants in this study and are not a member of our supporter facebook group, PM me and I'll try to get you added! As the study shifts from recruitment, we begin the process of supporting one another. There is a lot of great information being shared in the group!

·
Registered
603 Posts
I had planned to sign Cooper up but the study was already full! (great news!!) Do any of you that are participating have some of the information that you're filling out? I know one of the things that is discussed is about filtered water but I'm interested in the other environmental and nutritional information that they're watching.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #198
I had planned to sign Cooper up but the study was already full! (great news!!) Do any of you that are participating have some of the information that you're filling out? I know one of the things that is discussed is about filtered water but I'm interested in the other environmental and nutritional information that they're watching.

Thanks!!
It is almost 100 pages! I will see if there is any way to post the questions.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Questions do change a little after the baseline. There are questions about food, health, where you dog sleeps, where they spend most of their day, how much activity they get, what their attitude is, how much training you do, Vet visits, travel....and so on. The on-line survey is long, but is done with skip logic so it won't ask you male questions if you are answering about your female.

181 - 200 of 210 Posts