Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of our users (vicfion) is from Malaysia and in her email to me, she mentioned that it is a problem to have a dog in her country.
I felt like I need to reproduce this conversation on our board.
It is very interesting.

Our conversation:

Vicfion:
"The rest isn't really nice one though.. Right now because of neighbor's complain, I cannot go on having my Golden Retriever and place him with my ex-boss so this is another reason why I don't have many photos of him... But in between doggie events I do have some nice one.. Let me check... I am from Malaysia so you probably know having dogs here isn't all pleasant experience... "

Me:
"How is life in Malaysia? Can you post a post about problems with having a dog in Malaysia. It would be interesting reading for all of us."

Vicfion:
"Since this is a Muslim country, they see cats are the best than dogs... So a lot of issue about dogs here but many complained why there is never cats... Anyway, there were a case recently where Rottweiller had biten
a boy badly, and they make this a real fuss and now they even had suggested the dog to be ban here in Malaysia... Nothing had been taken action yet though... They make getting a lisence difficult for us... making rules and ttrying to make new rules where dog owners have to go for a class to be responsible owner or something... Last time they even made us take
the fully check-up plus vacine before allowing us to get the lisence plus need signature from neighbors that they don't mind us having dogs.. It is a nuisance as many neighbors don't like dogs.. Now they did not enforce it, thank God but since the recent case, they might come out with something else...I never dare to register for lisence until now... Sigh... A lotof
issue here..."

Hey all of you... I can't imagine going through this in Canada...
This just seems crazy don't you think?

·
Registered
31 Posts
People in this devoutly Muslim country rarely keep dogs as pets because their religion frowns on them as dirty and unclean.

Actually, in islam you can own a dog for one of three purposes:

1. hunting (Suluqi).
2. gaurd dogs.
3. Farm dogs.

Other cases are not recomended to say the least, so the statement that the dog is unclean should be qualified.

Its uncleanliness is based on the tradition from the prophet (PBUH) that if a dog should eat from a bowl that we use to eat from, the bowl should be cleaned thoroughly (in a specific manner).

So based on the above hadeeth, various Judicial opinions in islamic fiqh
differ on the extent of uncleanliness of the dog, varying from the whole dog to only his mouth and saliva.

So if a dog sleep in the bedoin tent, without eating with him from the same bowl, it would be OK in certain instances for certain schools of thought in islamic jurispundance...

I know this sounds crazy...

Cellia

·
Registered
77 Posts
I read the whole forum from the links you posted and I have to agree to whole extend with one of their users: 'nicky_spykeaz'.
Government should re-educate the public. Teach them about dog and all other animals..
If they don't know how to react when face to face with dog, they should give people some kind of an opportunity to see it in media, talk about it in magazines, radio...
This is better way, rather than feeding the public with scary and set of phobia to the public especially around dog breed like Golden Retriever.
I never heard of Golden hurting someone. Did you?

pepe

·
Registered
11 Posts
I can't comprehend some people or their religions! Amazing they think dogs are unclean!
Men can mistreat their wives but you can't have a dog! Sorry, but something is definitely wrong here!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Better be careful...

We really don't want to go down that road. Suffice it to say that they observe practices that are different.

Please remember that you do not know who is lurking and we should all support the freedom of religion. We are in no position to judge.

I am personally not Muslim (I'm actually Jewish), but I believe that everyone should be allow to practice whatever they believe in and whatever feels right to them without being judged. Aren't we getting completely off topic here?:mad:

Just my two cents.
Bonni

·
Premium Member
4,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I do not agree with the way they treat dogs, but I agree with Bonni, we should all support religious and other freedoms.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi, I just joined and I saw this post about Malaysia, where I live .I feel I have to respond and share information with all of you. Firstly, I have a little 4 month old girl named Belle and she is the greatest joy in our lives. My neighbours are Muslims and when they see us outside playing with Belle, they always call to her and delight in watching her. Of course, we take the opportunity to show off our girl and display her remarkable aptitude for tricks etc.

Yes, Islam does place restrictions when it comes to dogs but under certain conditions, they can even keep them. I have many Muslim friends who own dogs and are passionate about it. I have strangers who see us in the streets who stop to admire Belle or even pet her( carefully, because they cannot be licked). Its a bit like Hinduism ( I am a Hindu) and beef. No logical reason but its a question of faith.

For whatever reason the restriction by Islam is in place but it sits side by side with common sense and basic human compassion. You would be surprised by the number of dogs in Malaysia.

Having said that, we can't take our dogs to shopping complxes, public restaurants and even certain public parks. There I envy owners in other countries who can have their pets with them in most places.
Anyway hope this info helps

·
Registered
448 Posts
Extremely interesting dialogue going on in here. Enlightening, to say the least. My thanks to Suresh and vicfion for supplying us with information. I must say that I agree with Bonni and Joe (well said, Bonni). I appreciate the opportunity to take part in open and frank discussion, especially when it educates me.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Great thread. And I can sense that restraint is being applied in some posts. Good job guys.

In my humble opinion, it is none of our business how another culture looks at animals and how they may interact with humans. That's not to say that I always agree with the other cultures. But I just think that we have a terrible habit of sticking our noses into areas we shouldn't.

Political statement: We Americans seem to think that we should play the role of police for the entire world. In my opinion that's very wrong and is the root of many of our problems in this world. O.K. Boogity - sit down and shut up.:wave:

·
Registered
101 Posts
well said Boogity.

Joe: I can't at all picture what's happening in Malaysia happening here in Canada at all. Almost everyone in my neighbor has a dog and even the ones that don't love dogs. The worst case here would probably be provinces banning pitbull or having them license under restricted dog. There's no signing petitions or anything, the only thing is having to pay more for the license and if anything bad happens (the dog attacks or bites someone) the fine is just a little more than with other breed.

·
Premium Member
4,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi Tracy,

I really can't picture this in Canada either... :no:

For me, Canada is fundamentally different from what occurs in the United States or better said, in any other country I had a chance to visit or live at.

Canada is more relaxed and tolerant, allowing ethnic or linguistic particularism to exist unquestioned and in in metropolitan areas such as Toronto and Vancouver, it almost feels like the whole 16% of today's Canadian citizens (who were born outside Canada) live right here... with their own community place and religion, getting along just fine (fact, I a very proud of).

Living here you can really get a strong sense that multiculturalism and religious respect is a normal expression of being Canadian.

Joe

Btw. Did you know, that Canada designated June 27 of each year as Canadian Multiculturalism Day. I never heard of any other country having such Day to celebrate. :)

Also to mention, I came to Canada only 8 years ago, from Czechoslovakia (Slovakian part), so I guess I can speak from my own experience. ;)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Although this thread was years ago but I feel I've to respond and give my view on owning dogs in Malaysia.

Yes, there are extreme cases where the Muslims hated dogs and dog owners for no other reasonable reasons simply because their Quran says dogs are unclean creatures BUT there are other reasons as well like :-

1) Dog owners allow their pets to defecate anywhere they like and don't clean up after them. Seriously, who wouldn't be angry if you happen to step into some dog poo. Even I a dog lover and owner of a Golden boy would be super mad too if I stepped onto some dog poo.

2) Dog owners don't control their pets barking which is extremely super irritating especially at night. Any sane reasonable person would snap their patience too if they have to continuously to listen to the barking while the dog owners themselves slept on like a log and don't give a hoot about thier pets barking.

3) Dog owners do not muzzle or leash their dogs (especially the big dogs) when walking. Any sane resonable parents with children would be angry if their child got attack. One would argue "But my dog is well-trained and never bite anyone before." Never ever take that risk. No one can predict the nature or temperament of a dog no matter how well-trained or sociable the dog is.

These are the main reasons why majority of the Muslims in Malaysia don't like dogs. Anyway these are the main reasons why people don't like dog owners and their dogs. Of course it's not the dog's faults. The responsiblity solely lies with the owners. Had these owners follow the rules properly, I'm sure the other group of people will be just as reasonable in allowing us to own dogs without making such a big fuss.

BTW, I ALWAYS carry enough plastic bags and newspapers and a bottle of water to clean up after my Golden boy after he did his business.:)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts