Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I’m looking for a golden retriever puppy in Pacific Northwest, preferably in Oregon but Washington works too. Looking for a pet to add to my Family. I would be a first time dog mom and having a really hard time discerning good breeders with info online. Also being unable to visit breeder homes/sites with COVID 19 is difficult. Would appreciate any recommendations. Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am in the same boat albeit on the other side of the country. I highly recommend getting in touch with your local retriever's club; they will have a list of referrals for breeders who they deem to be of good quality. I got in touch with my local club and they got back to me the same day.

I would also advise seeing if any of their referral breeders/owners are board members of the club as that might be an issue for some. Apart from that try scouring individual breeder pages on Facebook and get in touch with families/owners to get a more in-depth idea. Make sure you get in touch with families/owners that have had them for 6+ years as well as young puppies as this would give you an idea of their reliability over a longer period.

·
Super Moderator Leader
48,133 Posts
Welcome!

Here is a link to the GR Clubs, contact the one in your area or areas you are willing to travel for a Breeder/puppy referral-

Good luck with your search.

·
Kristy
9,476 Posts
If you all come back here with the registered names of the parents of a litter, someone here can help you verify the health clearances. It's the first box to check on finding a good breeder - they should be religious, no excuses - about the OFA clearances for Elbows, hips, eyes, heart as well as genetic testing like Ichthyosis, NCL, PRA. It may sound good to get a reference from previous puppy buyers, but 3 or 4 happy buyers don't give the full picture of how many other puppies may have been born with genetic issues due to a breeder neglecting the use of readily available health testing to make breeding choices. Health clearances matter. Don't cave in on this point.
The second box to check is that they compete in some sport with their dogs - AKC conformation dog shows, hunt tests, obedience etc. something that tells you that their dogs are a hobby and not a way of making money to pay their mortgage. The last thing you want to do is give your money to a puppy farmer who puts profits before the health and well being of the dogs. It's not foolproof but someone who competes is more likely to put the dogs first.
Third box is how the breeding dogs live. If the breeder has a dozen dogs living outside in kennels, how do you feel about that? GOldens are people dogs, they need and deserve to live with people. Are there constant litters being born? It is not easy to give puppies the handling and socializing they need and also clean up the mess of a litter, multiply that by 2 or 3 litters at once and it's more than a fulltime job. You want your puppy to have lots of individualized attention from the breeder. If he's being raised outdoors in a barn or kennel, it's not as easy. Ask the breeder how they socialize their puppies, do they meet kids and deliverypeople, go on car rides, get introduced to the crate and have lots of different experiences with toys, water, new sounds etc.

Ask lots of questions. Realize that LOTS of people have been trying to buy puppies while we are locked down for virus and there may be longer wait lists now for good breeders. Don't compromise on a good breeder just to make the wait shorter, be willing to travel and ask for referrals. www.grca.org is a wealth of information, you could spend 3 days reading all of it, the more you slow down and learn about health clearances and reputable breeders, the less likely you are to be taken advantage of by a crummy breeder. Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
7,636 Posts
Oregon- both Linda Bell (sorrento goldens) and Emilie Edling (meritorious goldens) are in Sherwood, OR and adhere to the Code of Ethics

·
Registered
6 Posts
Oregon- both Linda Bell (sorrento goldens) and Emilie Edling (meritorious goldens) are in Sherwood, OR and adhere to the Code of Ethics
I posted a year ago about a PNW puppy and was pointed to Emilie at meritorious goldens and my boy is almost a year old now. The best demeanor anyone could ask for from a puppy.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts