Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We were at the lake yesterday & lounging by the dock when a mother mallard & her 14 babies swam by. Nyg dived off the dock & off he went after the ducks. Razz decided it looked fun & in he went as well. There was no way that either would be able to catch one but they continued to swim for over 1/2 hour.

Both boys decided that obedience commands were out the window as well and would not respond to any of my commands :(:(

When it became obvious that they weren't coming in and we could see them tiring (especially 19 mos Razz) we got into the boat to do a Golden Rescue.

Do you know how difficult it is to haul 2 soaking wet goldens into an aluminum boat? That is, after you get them close to the boat when they're focused totally on the ducks.

Well, we finally got them in the boat where they both collapsed from exhaustion.

We sure have two tired goldens today!!!!! Yes, golden rescue of a different sort.

(Yes, I have pics but I can't get my PC/Camera to work together?????)

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
That can be so scary. I think I am really lucky that my dogs' prey drives are relatively low. They may swim out after the geese and ducks, but they come back when I call them. Thank goodness!

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Boy that sure would have scared me. Thank goodness you were able to get them into the boat. I wonder if they learned anything from that or will do it again next time.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
You must have been channeling Lord Tweedmouth! That's why we have those golden standards, since the hunters wanted dogs that could be lifted into boats--I think that can even be part of a hunting test, someone can correct me on that if I'm wrong. That's why those monster goldens are so incorrect--not real practical for being out in the fields to hunt with--at least not as per the standard.

You can say you were practicing for a JH leg!

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
I'm sure it would of been funny if it wasn't so scary!! I know my heart would of dropped if Finn kept going and not come back. I'm glad you were able to get them in the boat b/c I honestly don't think I could pull a big, wet dog up. I'm looking forward to pictures of the 'rescue'

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
We raised 6 ducklings this spring. They are now full grown ducks. The funny thing is that MacKenzie who has the high prey drive is afraid of them. They are kept out of her reach now, but they were raised in our garage until a few weeks ago.

Brady used to help me feed the ducks, so the ducks quack at Brady because they want him to feed them. Brady just wanted the stuffed animal that the ducks used as their "mommy".

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Boy that sure would have scared me. Thank goodness you were able to get them into the boat. I wonder if they learned anything from that or will do it again next time.
Did they learn anything.... :no::no::no::no::no: because they did exactly the same thing last August :uhoh::uhoh::uhoh: The only difference was that Razz was only 8 months old & went under before we got to him in the boat. Fortunately, we were watching very closely & had people on shore watching him.

Nyg is the one with the high prey drive & Razz just follows. We evidenced that today when we were visiting friends at their lakeside cottage - yes, my guys are spoiled with family & friends who have cottages - & Razz just ignored a duck that was visiting the dock. Nyg was just biting at the bit to get at the duck but a smart mother had a leash on him!;);)

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pictures as promised!

Attachments

·
Registered
255 Posts
Just wanted to leave a note about your absolutely gorgeous dogs!
And I feel your pain...Georgia will just keep swimming and be absolutely deaf to any commands other than "keep swimming"

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
Been there and done that. It is scary since you have no idea of how long they can swim. My boys did eventually swim back to shore but I have done the dog overboard drill in my boat a couple of times. Not fun and not a very delicate operation. I'm glad your pups are fine and resting comfortably.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts