Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, my 9 month old Golden is finally on the recovering end of a 2 month battle with food allergies. We finally determined he is allergic to some grains and any amount of chicken. We have him on duck/potato grain-free food right now which has not bothered him for the last 6 weeks. However, his coat is on the long road to recovery.

Can anyone recommend shampoo, conditioner, and/or supplements for a dog in this situation? Any ideas would be appreciated. His coat is very dry and thin; not much undercoat left. Thanks!

·
Registered
823 Posts
Hello! we too had the battle of the food allergies. Finally settled on Natural Balance Sweet Potato and Venison which was key for him. For his coat given the time of year the undercoat may not be thick until winter again, but we have had great luck using oatmeal shampoo. We use this: John Paul Pet Oatmeal Shampoo For Dogs at PETCO

there are absolutely supplements out there but i am sure another forum member will know more about that than i do

·
Registered
295 Posts
We battled food allergies with my boy for an eternity(it seems). After finally doing a full thyroid & allergy panel we got down to the bottom of it. Now that we are feeding him only food that does not contain anything he is allergic to he is doing much better. We have also found that giving him a bath once a week religiously has also made him a lot more comfortable. The shampoo we are using is: Earthbath Oatmeal & Aloe shampoo.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the recommendation! As I was doing further research, I came across this which had some great information regarding oils, vitamins, digestive supplements, shampoos and conditioners. I've made a $90 list and will put in an order to KV supply soon. Hopefully balancing out some of the internal issues will help on the outside as well.

Golden Retriever Rescue of Mid-Florida

·
Registered
581 Posts
Hi All, my 9 month old Golden is finally on the recovering end of a 2 month battle with food allergies. We finally determined he is allergic to some grains and any amount of chicken. We have him on duck/potato grain-free food right now which has not bothered him for the last 6 weeks. However, his coat is on the long road to recovery.

Can anyone recommend shampoo, conditioner, and/or supplements for a dog in this situation? Any ideas would be appreciated. His coat is very dry and thin; not much undercoat left. Thanks!
Fish oil capsules might be good. People give them to their dogs to promote a healthy coat *and* to reduce inflammation from allergies. Sounds like you've got the allergy part whipped, but just in case he eats something he's not supposed to, it might help you with two problems at once!

I've been giving my dog a couple of fish oil capsules dipped in peanut butter every night for years to help with his allergies. He's got so many allergy medicines that I am not sure if they are individually helping or not, but they don't seem to be hurting!

·
Registered
295 Posts
NOTE - if you are giving him fish oil pills - make sure hes not allergic to fish!

·
Registered
581 Posts
Oh, and as other people do, I also use oatmeal and moisturizing shampoo when I bath him. I don't give him extra baths (on account that he hates them), but when I do, I use the oatmeal shampoo (Well, aside from his last bath when I needed a special flea and tick shampoo). It was whatever the cheapest brand of oatmeal shampoo I could find was- the recommended ones probably work better, so I won't go find the bottle and tell you the brand.

If allergies themselves are still an issue (Sounds like they aren't for you, but if they do), two generic benadryl at noon and two at midnight help my fella some. They make some dogs drowsy, but not him. Also, a vet may prescribe steroids.

·
Registered
581 Posts
NOTE - if you are giving him fish oil pills - make sure hes not allergic to fish!
Always a good idea. Since the original poster seems to have the allergies figured out, he or she could introduce fish oil and see if the allergies start back up again- if they do, he or she could discontinue the fish oil immediately and know his or her dog is allergic to fish.

In my case, I tried a zillion different specialty foods to test for food allergies, the dog's allergies persisted through all of them. I also stayed for a week at a very well kept house with two feet of snow on the ground and tried taking him off his meds while he was there to test for seasonal and dust related allergies- had to put him right back on the meds. His allergies are worse in the summer, but they are year round. He's got to be allergic to a bunch of different things.

My vet and I are pretty much in agreement that he's allergic to many things and we've tried what we want to try. We talked about panels, but she said they could do $1,000 worth and still miss an allergy or two and it might not be conclusive, and we agreed it didn't make sense for someone in my financial situation where the dog clearly had more than one allergy. We are pretty much in agreement that we're doing the bendaryl, fish oil, and some prednisone until such a time as that new immuno-suppressant stops being $200 a month. ;) We'd like to switch him to that, but $2,400 a year is not feasible. Usually these meds come down in price as the years go by, though, so it may be an option for him eventually.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had my dog on Zyrtec (once daily) and that helped with the initial allergy reactions. Once I changed foods successfully, I took him off the allergy meds because they apparently can dry out a coat. He has been and is still on salmon oil daily. He does not react to fish oil. I will be adding vitamin a and c to his diet along with cod fish oil. We'll see how those help in the coat recovery. :)

·
Super Moderator Leader
48,894 Posts
My two are on Purina Pro Plan for Sensitive Skin and Stomach. They both have sensitive stomach, no skin issues. I put them both on it 4.5 years ago after I adopted my boy from my County Humane Society. He was 15-20 lbs. underweight and was having a lot of stomach issues.

Neither have any skin issues, their coats are great, so far neither have had a hot spot. I also add Organic Apple Cider Vinegar to their water-1 tsp. each time I fill it up. I use the Bragg brand, OACV has a lot of vitamins in it and is great for Allergies.

Here's a link to Bragg's website for more info-
Bragg Live Foods, Bragg Apple Cider Vinegar, Bragg Liquid Aminos,Systemic Enzymes, Bragg Live Organic Food Products, Patricia Bragg, Paul Bragg, Bragg Organic Olive Oil, Bragg Salad Dressings, Bragg Seasonings, Bragg Health Products

My two also get a daily fish oil and Vit E tablet, mainly for their hips and joints.
I also give the a little coconut oil everyday with their food.

Here's some info about giving your dog organic coconut oil-

The Health Benefits Of Coconut Oil For Dogs

If you do a search for Organic Apple Cider Vinegar or coconut oil here on the forum, several threads will come up you can read through.

·
3 goldens
11,904 Posts
Our 11 1/2 golden and 8 year old Great Pyrenees both get fish oil caps in ther supper every night--except nights I give them tuna or mackerel. Both are also on duck & potato grain free food. Neither has allergies, just prefer to keep the carbs as low as possible. Another thing that is good is coconut oil in their food. I would use it if not for the fish oil. It is also my understanding that fish oil can be good for the heart.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Another thing that is good is coconut oil in their food. I would use it if not for the fish oil. It is also my understanding that fish oil can be good for the heart.
That's the main reasons humans take fish oil themselves, I hear- the rumors that it is good for heart health. And it may be, but it's never been proven scientifically. My doctor always says his guidelines for supplements like that human wise is that if they were proven to work, they'd be in the medicine isle instead of supplement isle, so he says take them if you want, but he doesn't think they do anything.

It's funny, though, I have high blood pressure and take a couple prescription medications for that, so people see the bottle of fish oil sitting around in my apartment and assume I am taking them for that. Actually, they are for my dog and his allergies. :) They always find that answer hilarious, but it's true. I don't think I've ever taken any of the fish oil I buy for the dog.

I have started taking some of his generic Bendadryl, however. I've always just bought the human version for him, it's actually less expensive than the dog version (and probably has better quality controls)! The first time he saw he saw me taking them, he thought it was extremely funny, he got that "Heh, the human is taking the dog medicine. Oh, those humans and their amusing primate antics!" type of expression on his face. :)

You've got to be careful whenever you use a human product on a dog. Check all the active an inactive ingredients and do websearches to make sure they aren't dangerous to dogs if you aren't sure. Decongestants are the big thing to watch for with Benadryl and the like. Decongestants are toxic to dogs (Like chocolate or grapes). Benadryl isn't a decongestant, it's an antihistamine, *but* some medicines will package antihistamines and decongestants together in one pill or capsule figuring the humans want the two in one combo, so you have to read and make sure you're really just getting generic Benadryl.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update to this thread. Finally settled on a dog food that seems to be worth its price tag. Shout out to Brother's Complete Turkey and Egg formula. http://www.wag.com/dog/p/brothers-complete-turkey-egg-advanced-allergy-formula-1020066

I coupled that with Dogzymes Digestive Enhancer which had an immediate impact. https://naturesfarmacy.com/store/products/dogzymes-digestive-enhancer-dissolvable-powder-1/

My dog has a definite allergy to chicken, a suspected allergy to oatmeal, and a surprising allergy to specific types of real bones. Additionally, I finally figured out what the red, itchy paws were and am now treating a yeast imbalance (success!).

After a few weeks on the dogzymes and the new food, Samwise has clean ears, normal paws, and isn't itching nearly as much. To help with his dull, brittle coat, I'm bathing him with Richard's Organics Anti-Bacterial shampoo and feeding a teaspoon of human-grade coconut oil periodically.
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/SynergyLabs-Richards-Organics-Anti-Bacterial-Shampoo/dp/B002DX1F4C/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1442859765&sr=8-4&keywords=tea+tree+shampoo+for+dogs[/ame]

Thanks for all the advice! Hope this thread helps other golden owners. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts