Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all ,

I have bought a new golden puppy who is 60 days old . He is playful and jovial . I do have certain doubts .

1) My puppy is urinating for every 2 hrs once . When would this count would low ?

2) When can i start to train my puppy ? He is not even turning when i call his name .

3) I do have a major concern regarding the hygiene of it . The puppy pees and it walks over it . It tries to lick the pee . How can i stop . Is the hygiene of the puppy and the people staying in home will get affected

4) I am working . So i would leave home by 10 . There are people for giving lunch to my puppy. How many hours can my puppy be left alone ?

5) Since its teeth is growing , puppy is in a urge to bite anything . What to do with it ?

6) Since he is having a good weight , My vet said not to put him in a cratle . It is advisable to tie the puppy with ropes ?

Thanks in advance

Pravin :)

·
Registered
4,698 Posts
Hello, Pravin. Welcome to the board. Congratulations on your new puppy. Does your puppy have access to clean water all the time? That would affect the amount they pee.
2. Puppy training should start as soon as you come home. Say his name often, and give him a reward (a small bit of food, usually) when he looks at you first and especially when he comes to you.
3. Puppies are normally taken to an area where you want them to do their business. Your pup hasn't learned where this is, yet. You have to take them there and praise them if they go.
4. With a puppy as young as yours, who really needs a lot of care, I'd not leave them for more than an hour or so without someone coming to take them to the toilet. That's where crates come in useful. Puppies soon learn the crate is their den and, since they don't usually soil their den, it helps with their training. It also keeps the pup out of mischief, so you won't come home to a chewed electrical cord or pieces chewed off the walls. (Believe me, I've come home to both.)
5. Ah, I see you have discovered why golden retriever puppies are called land sharks. The best way to cope with it is to say ouch! very loudly and to put something else such as a toy in his mouth. If you look through the posts on the forum, you will find lots of hints for coping with biting.
6. PUPPIES SHOULD NEVER BE TIED UP WITHOUT SUPERVISION. I have known of too many who have strangled themselves or got the rope tangled round their legs and panicked, breaking their bones. Sometimes, when they are older, you can train them to accept being restrained this way. A crate is far safer for young puppy. Failing that, a room such as a laundry or a bathroom can be used, as long as you have made sure there is nothing a determined puppy can hurt itself with - "puppy-proofed" is the term used for making the room safe, like you would for a baby.
I hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
18,410 Posts
Answers in red.

Hello all ,

I have bought a new golden puppy who is 60 days old . He is playful and jovial . I do have certain doubts .

1) My puppy is urinating for every 2 hrs once . When would this count would low ?

Puppies have tiny bladders, they can't hold it very long. As little as he is, I am sure he actually needs to pee much more often than every 2 hours. You should take him out to the potty area about every 30 minutes at his age. He will need to go pee very frequently all day every day until he is several months older than he is now.

2) When can i start to train my puppy ? He is not even turning when i call his name .

Start training now. Use treates to reward the puppy for correct behavior. Make high pitch sounds and call his name, when he looks at you or comes to you, give him a treat to reward him for responding to his name. Practice often.

3) I do have a major concern regarding the hygiene of it . The puppy pees and it walks over it . It tries to lick the pee . How can i stop . Is the hygiene of the puppy and the people staying in home will get affected

Puppies are messy. You will need to clean up after the puppy frequently to prevent it from walking in it's own waste. Unless the puppy has intestinal parasites (worms), people around him should not need to worry about being affected by the puppy's hygiene.

4) I am working . So i would leave home by 10 . There are people for giving lunch to my puppy. How many hours can my puppy be left alone ?

A two month old puppy should not be left alone more than 2-3 hours.

5) Since its teeth is growing , puppy is in a urge to bite anything . What to do with it ?

Give him lots of toys and chew bones to chew on. If he tries to chew on you, put a toy in his mouth and praise him when he bites the toy instead.

6) Since he is having a good weight , My vet said not to put him in a cratle . It is advisable to tie the puppy with ropes ?

Never tie up a puppy. It is not safe or kind. He should be with a person who can supervise him, or in crate or small puppy proofed room when he can't be with a person.

Thanks in advance

Pravin :)

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Training should start as soon as possible. Have you enrolled in any puppy classes yet? Don't overuse his name because that will cause it to lose value. Reward him like crazy whenever he even makes eye contact when you call him.

Your vet is very wrong. You absolutely SHOULD start crate training and NEVER, NEVER tie your puppy up outside. It is extremely unsafe and is also unfair to your puppy. Dogs are not meant to be tied outside all day long. It is cruel. Crate training is the most valuable tool any puppy owner could have. It is a safe haven for your pup and will help greatly with potty training. The crate should only be large enough to allow him to be able to stand up and turn around. You can use a larger crate and use a divider to limited his access to the crate and allow him more space as he grows.

From the sounds of it, I am going to guess that this is your first puppy. Urinating every 2 hours is actually very good for an 8-week-old pup. Most go at least every hour. Expecting a puppy that young to be able to hold their urine for more than a couple of hours is asking far too much of your puppy. Your puppy is going to need to be taken out to relieve himself after doing pretty much everything, including after eating, drinking, napping, and playing. As he gets older, he will have much better control of his bladder and will be able to hold it for longer periods of time.

As far as hygiene, to be totally blunt, you're going to have to get used to it. Puppies are going to get dirty and there is really nothing you can do about it. You really need to relax and enjoy your puppy and not stress of the minor stuff, such as stepping in a little pee. They are only this age once. I'm sure you don't want to spend his puppyhood being so uptight about him getting a little dirty. Pick up some baby wipes if you're really worried about his paws being dirty; however, I can assure you that there is absolutely nothing to be concerned about.

·
Registered
8,438 Posts
Does your puppy have free access to water? I ask because I find the licking up of his own urine odd. I wonder if you are withholding water to try to keep him from needing to pee so often. Truly 2 hours is a great time at this age. When you are not watching him put him in a small crate. He will not want to pee there, but do be sure to take him out every couple of hours.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts