Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hi,

my puppy is about 6 months old and is totaly completly obssest!!!!!!!!!!
i brought home a 1 dollar lazer light probably aabout 2 months ago and played with her on and off with it for about 2 weeks and she totaly whent nutz over it. If she sees any type of of shadow or light she go crazy chasing it. She has already chewd up my padio, ripped up the carpet on the stairs and has scratched of of door, she is doing alot of dammage to r
rental house :doh: plz help!

is their away to calm obssesions? i just dont know wat to do any more plz help!!!!!!

any advicew would help
~THNX

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
First of all, I would stop using the laser light right away. That is one type of toy that actually can cause obsessive behavior to develop and it can be very tough to break. How much exercise is she getting each day? Is she getting regular walks and chances to run off leash? I would also highly recommend enrolling in some basic obedience classes and crating her when you are not around to watch her. At 6 months, they are at the peak of adolescence and will test you in every way possible. It's time to double up on the training and start utilizing a crate if you're not already.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
she is deffantly getting enough excercize theres no question about that we live on 5 acres and she has a great deal of that.
oh and the lazer light lol was quit around the first 2 weeks of showing her:doh:
and next week she is going to be in 4-h obidience classes

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
you arent the first to think it is fun to play with a laser light, but Ive seen several dogs become obsessed with lights and shadows after playing with them..My Liberty is one of them...thankfully her obsession has not turned to destructive behavior.

If your girl is chewing up your house then she needs more supervision. There is no magic wand for this one...

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i deffantly agree supervision is apperntly needed here i have already started that though you said ur dogs wint down with shadow and light obssesion can u give me some tips on how to break it?

·
Knife Swallower
6,783 Posts
When my guy starts to compulsively stare at the ceiling for reflections (light hitting cell phone, utensils, anything!), I distract him by either going for a quick walk or doing some obedience in the house. Anything to get him mentally stimulated as it seems he is worse on the days our walks are shorter.

He's not destructive at all; he just either lays down and stares at the ceiling while drooling or he'll walk over to the wall and gently butt his nose against it. I guess I could leave him as he's not hurting anything but it really bothers me. I do make sure whatever I do to distract him is calming and requires him to use his brain. I think when dogs start obsessing, they stop using their brains.

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
Same here - When I see that she has noticed some reflection I start training with her...sits, downs, watch-me, tricks...put on her leash and walk her...anything to get her mind disengaged...

When my guy starts to compulsively stare at the ceiling for reflections (light hitting cell phone, utensils, anything!), I distract him by either going for a quick walk or doing some obedience in the house. Anything to get him mentally stimulated as it seems he is worse on the days our walks are shorter.

He's not destructive at all; he just either lays down and stares at the ceiling while drooling or he'll walk over to the wall and gently butt his nose against it. I guess I could leave him as he's not hurting anything but it really bothers me. I do make sure whatever I do to distract him is calming and requires him to use his brain. I think when dogs start obsessing, they stop using their brains.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Put the puppy on a leash so she cant be doing something without you watching her. And if you cant watch her then put her in the crate (if you have one). What type of playing outside do you do with her for exercise?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i bring her outside and i do some training throw a ball do puppy stuff
and when im not out there she running around that should be enough for her

1 - 9 of 9 Posts