Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I am a new member to this forum, but I have found the postings helpful in guiding my search for a responsible breeder in my area (Frederick, MD). As of now, I am considering two breeders and have the pedigree information for each expected litter. I would appreciate any input you have since I am a newbie and only have a basic understanding of what I'm looking for/at. Thank you for all your help!

Here are the breeders:
1. Banbury Golden Retrievers (Deborah Gibson) - she doesn't have a website, but can be found on Facebook. Here is the pedigree for her expected litter: Pedigree: Gidget / Larry

2.Golden Rose Kennel (Golden Rose Kennel) - this is the pedigree information for her potential litter: Pedigree: Brooks/Flame

·
Super Moderator Leader
47,297 Posts
Hi, welcome to the forum, glad you've joined us.

I'm sure members will give you some recommendations, in the meantime, you may want to check out the Golden Retriever Club of America, lots of very good information on this site and there's also a Puppy Referral.

Here are the links:

Golden Retriever Club of America GRCA: The Official AKC National Breed Club

Puppy Referral-you can do a search by State or Region-
Golden Retriever Puppies: GRCA Puppy Referral: Golden Retriever Club of America (GRCA) Find your Golden Retriever Pupppy Here

Best of luck in your search for a Breeder and puppy.

Enjoy the forum

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have an update on Debbie's dog Gidget. I asked about the heart and eye clearances which, on the K9data website, were listed as "unknown normal." Debbie told me the clearances had been preformed and she is in the process of sending them into the website. She also offered to send me a copy of the clearances so I can view them while they are waiting to be posted on the website. She also said that, for some of the dogs further back in the pedigree, she used to provide paper copies of clearances to puppy purchasers so some of them are not reflected on the K9data website.

Any thoughts some of the more experienced members on the forum have would be greatly appreciated!

·
Mercy Miracle (M&M)
5,097 Posts
Those are both very good kennels in my opinion. I wouldn't mind getting a puppy from either of them myself. The sire and dam of the Golden Rose Kennel litter are both related to my Mercy. The sire is my Mercy's half brother and the dam has the same grandfather as my Mercy. The dam's grandmother is also Mercy's great grandmother. Make sure you do see a copy of all of the clearances for both parents. Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I'm certainly not experienced enough to break down the pedigrees, though I understand the clearances and such. Hopefully someone will help you with that part soon.

I just wanted to let you know that I have a Brooks/Flame puppy and love her to pieces! She's been a great addition to our family! You don't have enough posts to PM me, but I'd be happy to e-mail...if you have any questions.

Attachments

·
Registered
21,054 Posts
You couldn't go wrong with either one. Pick the breeder you are most comfortable dealing with.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks. You all have such beautiful dogs! I still haven't decided which breeder I will go with, but I'm glad to know people with more experience don't have any hesitations about either. Right now I'm leaning toward Golden Rose, but the pregnancy hasn't been confirmed yet so we'll have to wait and see. Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
After some really good guidance from here, I have decided to work with Cad Farms Golden Retrievers in Calvert County, Maryland. This is, of course, further away from Frederick than the breeders you are considering. Carol raises only English creams and two litters are expected in mid & late September. I have seen only superficial reference of this breeder here, but like everything I've heard so far. Any specific experience folks have had that you're willing to share would be appreciated. Bill

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
After some really good guidance from here, I have decided to work with Cad Farms Golden Retrievers in Calvert County, Maryland. This is, of course, further away from Frederick than the breeders you are considering. Carol raises only English creams and two litters are expected in mid & late September. I have seen only superficial reference of this breeder here, but like everything I've heard so far. Any specific experience folks have had that you're willing to share would be appreciated. Bill
Clearances appear to be missing on multiple dogs. I'd look elsewhere.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
1wdmcdonn1: Although I am admittedly a novice, I do recall another thread on this forum that discussed Cad Farms and I believe other members were not overly impressed. You might want to search the forum and see what comes up.

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Thanks; there is a thread with some reasonably positive impressions of Cad Farms. I reviewed the OFA data, in fact, did a chart to get a better picture, and there is clearly some missing certifications in previous family members, many of which appear to be european imports but results will be currrent for dam and sire and parents of sire of this litter. Still checking on parents of dam who was imported from Ukraine

Since my previous gr (1981-91) had to be put down due to severe skin allergies that couldn't be cured, I am concerned about Icthyosis (sp?) testing, which this breeder doesn't do. Is this a big deal? expensive? reasonable expectation? especially for the $1750 they now charge? Thanks, Bill

·
Chloe's Mom Lisa
774 Posts
CAD Farm Goldens

Did you get a puppy from Cad golden? If so are you happy with them is your dog healthy? I am on the waiting list.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Ig going forward w/ Cad Farms, I'd make sure clearances are in order before you put any money down. Dogs being bred in the US, should have US clearances. When I see foreign clearances, likely done before the dogs was 2 yrs of age--then those are just pre-lims not actual clearances. Also, eye exams need to be accomplished every year--not a one & done clearance. Also, IF they're using their one sire for all of the litters, I'd be curious what makes him the best choice for their girls.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Ig going forward w/ Cad Farms, I'd make sure clearances are in order before you put any money down. Dogs being bred in the US, should have US clearances. When I see foreign clearances, likely done before the dogs was 2 yrs of age--then those are just pre-lims not actual clearances. Also, eye exams need to be accomplished every year--not a one & done clearance. Also, IF they're using their one sire for all of the litters, I'd be curious what makes him the best choice for their girls.
Clearances are done in the US under the OFA standards and requirements All dogs are bred on final clearances and NOT prelims. Females are retired at age 5 years. The carefully selected females chosen to breed with the sire are based on how their pedigree compliments the male's overall characteristics. The breeder is looking to improve the bloodlines. Pictures of the offspring prove the successful pairing of pedigrees.

·
Kristy
9,309 Posts
Clearances are done in the US under the OFA standards and requirements All dogs are bred on final clearances and NOT prelims. Females are retired at age 5 years. The carefully selected females chosen to breed with the sire are based on how their pedigree compliments the male's overall characteristics. The breeder is looking to improve the bloodlines. Pictures of the offspring prove the successful pairing of pedigrees.

This isn't exactly what I found and using the same sire for every litter is odd. Raising litters out in a kennel after "the first couple weeks" isn't my ideal situation for purchasing a pet.

The first bitch listed on your "mothers' page, Chloe has no hip clearance listed. Why not? Her eye clearance hasn't been updated in a couple years and her sire has no clearances listed for anything except his heart. Why? One of Chloe's siblings has mild hip dysplasia and one sibling has degenerative elbow disease.

Orthopedic Foundation for Animals

The second mother listed has all her clearances, but her father has none and her mother has two. Why?

The third mother, Chrystal, has clearances but nothing listed for her sire, dam or siblings. That makes it hard to get a picture of what runs in her family.

The fourth mother dog listed is Lily and she does not have final clearances for hips or elbows.

Orthopedic Foundation for Animals

The only sire advertised, Mr. Zac, does have clearances, however his eye clearance has not been updated since 2011 and this is required to be updated every year.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts