Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! My puppy is about four months old now and her bark is rather pathetic. She understands “bark” as a command and uses it whenever she needs to go outside. But her bark is more of a squeak. Every so often she gets out a good bark but most of the time it’s just her repeatedly squeaking at us. Does anyone else have this/see this in their dog?

·
Kate
23,007 Posts
My 2 year old rarely to never barks. His dad didn't bark at all until he was 5-6 months old and again very rarely barked through his life. He spoke by making sighing or grunting sounds. This is/can be a quiet breed.

·
Premium Member
18,641 Posts
She will grow a bigger bark as she gets older.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Mine used to on occasion when she wanted out of her crate while we were eating. It was a high pitched.... squawk.
I didnt hear her bark again until recently, staying with my mom and her yapping dog. My girl likes to get a growl anda WOOF in. I am trying to correct this

·
Super Moderator
2,608 Posts
When my boy was younger he had a higher pitched bark- he rarely barks but i laughed when he did as a puppy because he sounded so Funny. His bark has deepened, its like he broke his voice one day! I know some adult goldens that have maintained a very high pitch bark throughout their life though.

·
Super Moderator
3,360 Posts
Super lucky to own the two most vocal goldens on the face of the planet.

Eden had such a pitiful little bark as a puppy, she’s pretty loud, but still a little yappy now. Sometimes she can get real houndy sounding too lol.

I don’t remember Kaizer barking as a little puppy, but I can guarantee that was probably a sad sounding baby bark too. He’s got a very loud and very deep bark, he mostly barks when playing with Eden.

Your puppy will likely “grow into” her bark as she gets older

·
Super Moderator
Beckett
588 Posts
When my boy was younger he had a higher pitched bark- he rarely barks but i laughed when he did as a puppy because he sounded so Funny. His bark has deepened, its like he broke his voice one day! I know some adult goldens that have maintained a very high pitch bark throughout their life though.
Beckett will bark for play with other dogs, but that’s about it. Usually the first few barks will be high pitched barks but then he quickly finds his Big Boy bark that is much deeper🤣

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hi all! My puppy is about four months old now and her bark is rather pathetic. She understands “bark” as a command and uses it whenever she needs to go outside. But her bark is more of a squeak. Every so often she gets out a good bark but most of the time it’s just her repeatedly squeaking at us. Does anyone else have this/see this in their dog?
Be careful what you wish for…:) Loudest recorded bark belongs to a Golden!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Ha ha. Four month old here too and he squeaks also. He's a scrapper though, always ready to throw down when he hears something. I expect his voice will grow deep sooner or later.
Dog Snow Carnivore Fawn Dog breed

·
Registered
44 Posts
When our 11 month old wants something, instead of barking she does this hilarious pathetic long whine that sounds like a teenage girl getting frustrated and venting. It's like the whole world is about to end because her ball rolled under the couch. So dramatic.

She does bark, but VERY rarely which I am grateful for. It was a cute squawk for the first few months before deepening as she aged.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Maybe you without knowing taught her to use her indoor "voice"? I did teach this to Hudson. When she gets too loud inside I ask her to use her indoor bark and she does. I say run with it!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts