Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I recently got Bogey, who is now 13 weeks. And i have a question about his coat. I've noticed that some goldens have a very thick, fluffy, fur ball looking coat and some have a coat like Bogey (short, lab-like, etc.). A lot of people don't know if he's a golden or not (especially as a puppy) because he looks so much like a dark yellow lab.

That said, what's the difference in types of coats? Why are some short and some are longer a fluffy? And roughly when will Bogey's adult coat fully come in?

Pics are from 3 weeks to 10 weeks! (oops, pics got out of order) i will add some more from 10-13 weeks...

Attachments

·
Where The Bitches Rule
6,429 Posts
The difference in coats is all controlled by genetics. As for Bogey having a coat like a Lab, I must vehemently disagree. His present coat is definitely Golden like for his age. And he is also a very handsome little boy! ;)

·
Registered
25 Posts
My 8 month old, Utah, had a very similar coat to you pup's when he was the same age -- fluffy, but not overly so. When he turned about 4 months old, he lost the fluff and his coat seemed very short. I was convinced he was going to have a short-ish coat forever. I did some research and learned that it takes up to 2 years for their adult coat to come in and it can grow even more after that. I started to think about it and I realized I didn't know any adult Goldens who had short coats. As Utah started getting older, little tufts of fur would appear here and there. First he had little tufts on the back of his legs and around his face. Then the hair on his tail started to grow. Then all of sudden, he had nice thick hair on his chest. At 8 months old, he still has a long way to go but he definitely looks like a Golden. He has a full bushy
tail that people always comment on and his feather are getting longer by the day. What I have noticed about him compared to other Goldens his age is that even though his coat is still on the shorter side, it is very thick. The feathers on his front legs are about 1 1/2" long at the moment but they are soooooo thick. Same with the fur around his neck. I am convinced he will have a beautiful coat when he is older. Also, I have noticed that even the Goldens who are super fluffy as little puppies, go through the same "coat development" that Utah has. They all end up looking just like him. I am sure there are exceptions to the rule, but I'm fairly certain that your puppy will have a gorgeous coat when he's older.

I will try to post some pictures of Utah so you can see his coat, but I never seem to be able to so I'm sorry if it's doesn't work! Actually, maybe someone can help me. Whenever I try to insert an image, it asks for the URL address. I may be totally stupid, but I'm not sure how to do this. I would just like to insert a photo that is saved on my computer. Can anyone help me?

·
Registered
159 Posts
I'm no coat expert (there are a lot of them on here) but that pup looks 100% golden to me! I do know what you're talking about though. I've seen some fairly short haired young goldens, but your pup's coat looks at least average to me. On top of that he's an adorable little guy with a GREAT name! Love those wrinkles above his eyes :)

·
16,000 Posts
more pics (10-13 weeks)
That is a pretty typical GR puppy coat - it looks quite plush in the photos. He's young, so has a way to go before having what will be his adult coat.
Coat is genetic. Good nutrition and supplements will only bring out the best in what a dog was given by genetics. Frequent bathing helps promote coat growth, but again, will only allow the best of what he has potential for.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Just wanted to say hi - I have a Bogey to. He is 9 months.

·
Opus and Tasha
3,988 Posts
Okay, in my opinion.. there is no hard and fast timeline. Eveny dog is different. But I think that generally by 3 years old the body and coat are mature.

Here are some photos of Bob showing the changes in his coat.
The first photo was at 4 weeks, then 12 weeks, 9 months and the last two at 16 months.

As you can see even at 12 weeks old he still had that fuzzy puppy look.
By 9 months old the feathers had started to fill in but still no ruff.
Now, at 16 months old he is developing a very nice ruff.

Natasha, his mother has a very different coat..... Although her feathers filled in by the first year she really didn't develop a full ruff until she was almost 2 years old.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts