Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We are looking to add a puppy to our home. We are a family of 4 with 2 girls aged 7 and 11. We have not owned a dog since having children. We have narrowed it down to the Vizla or the Golden. Both seem to have pros and cons.

We are looking for an active dog that can run with me, mountain bike with my husband, and go on family hikes. We want a very intelligent dog that is loyal and loving.

The biggest con with the golden is the amount of grooming and shedding. I HATE dog hair on my clothes or in my house. They seem dirtier, and more odorous. Also, goldens are more prone to genetic disorders. We do love the calmer disposition of the golden and the fact that we could exercise him and he would more than likely "chill" with us at home.

Everything I've read about Vizslas says they are SO high energy that you can exercise them for hours and they will still be bouncing off walls. There are much more reviews of "crazy" vizslas than goldens. We do love the lower maintenance grooming, most likely healthier breed, are less common, and have great ability to run with us for years.

My oldest daughter only wants the golden. The rest of us could go either way. We're intrigued by the vizsla very much but scared that the energy level may be too intense for us.

We do plan to do careful training for whichever breed we choose as well as some doggy day care and play dates, dog parka for socialization.

I'd love any advice. If you've personally had each breed or are familiar with both I'd be eternally grateful for your perspective.

·
Premium Member
7,788 Posts
If you hate dog hair on your clothes and in your house, Goldens are probably not a good choice unless you want to spend hours each day brushing them and vacuuming up the hair.

We have chosen Golden-colored carpets, put slipcovers on furniture, and keep lint/hair removers in the car and office desks. I wear a lot of black at work and I tell people that wearing Golden fur may not be a fashion statement but it is a statement of values.

Have you thought about a Lab?

Good luck!

·
Registered
101 Posts
I don't have goldens, I have herding dogs, but I petsit for quite a few goldens, have friends and relatives with goldens. I am somewhat familiar with vizla's , again a couple people I know have them.

If I had my choice, (and this is not a bash on viszla's) I would pick a golden hands down. My opinion is vizla's are to independent for me, I tend to like easier trainer dogs and goldens are very smart , really bond to their family, much easier to live with .

However, if you don't like hair, well if you get a golden or even a short haired breed like a viszla you are going to have to get used to hair:)

Grooming isn't that much of a big deal, if you don't want to do it yourselves, well, keep a monthly or bimonthly groomer appointment. A clean healthy dog is not going to 'smell', unless they decide to roll in something nasty:)

If you really really hate dog hair on your clothing, you may want to consider a non shedding breed, like a bichon, poodle, type of dog, because no matter the coat length, you are going to get a dog who sheds.

I live with gsd's , you'd have heart failure if you saw how much they can shed:)
Good luck with your decision

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
I HATE dog hair on my clothes or in my house.
The way you emphasized this point, truthfully, I don't think any dog will be the right choice for you other than those that don't shed. All other types will shed and leave hair everywhere. It's just part of having a dog share your home. And it's not like you can make the dog live outside because of it's hair getting on everything, I'm sure that you know that wouldn't be fair.

Maybe look into Standard Poodles. Great family dogs, extremely smart and very athletic. Just a thought...

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
I hate to brake you a news.All dogs shed.Some more, some less.
I had a beagle for many years.He shed worst then my golden girl!!

·
Registered
10,524 Posts
Actually, a Standard Poodle, kept in a pet clip, might be just what you are looking for in a family pet. Little to no shedding (but regular grooming trips every 4-6 weeks), extremely intelligent, active. I tend to think a well-bred Standard Poodle is hard to beat.

I really don't think you would be happy with a Golden, because the shedding is constant and hair is a given.

Vizlas shed too, but not being a double-coated breed, it would be much less than a Golden.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
I agree a poodle is a great suggestion but my husband refuses.
You don't have to keep them in a foo-foo clip, there are many clips that look "normal". Like this one:

https://www.gotpetsonline.com/cgi-bin/cart/buy.cgi?id=85464

I really, really like Standards but would never have one in one of the extreme trims, but definitely in a puppy clip. You should talk to your husband again about them, they really are nice dogs.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
I love standard poodles.... love them.... and I agree they would fit the bill of what you seem to prefer ... keep in mind that golden fur is easily visible and viszla hair will get woven into the fabric of your furniture and clothes... and it itches... but if fur is a problem a standard poodle in a puppy clip is a GREAT dog... another might be a portuguese water dog another dog with hair instead of fur but would require trips to the groomer...

I adore standard poodles

·
Kate
21,682 Posts
I would not go by puppy videos or pictures. That phase lasts only about 2 months if that.

We are looking for an active dog that can run with me, mountain bike with my husband, and go on family hikes. We want a very intelligent dog that is loyal and loving.
Just going by this, I recommend adopting an adult dog. With adults you can immediately start with the running and biking and hiking. Otherwise, you should in all good conscience wait almost 2 years for that puppy to grow up and get past any danger of joint problems. Even if you get a poodle or some other breed.

You can also "choose" the type of dog you bring home. Some of the more active goldens might not "chill" with you in the home. Some goldens aren't "calm" until they are 3 or 4 years old. And that calmness is actually more based on the amount of training and handling they receive.

The biggest con with the golden is the amount of grooming and shedding. I HATE dog hair on my clothes or in my house. They seem dirtier, and more odorous.
Goldens shed. Even the low shedding guys (like mine), shed. It is a fact of life.

As far as dirty or odorous? I have no idea of that. :) I woke up this morning with my golden snuggling up around my head. Some dogs smell and are dirty because they ARE dirty or dealing with a health issue.

Everything I've read about Vizslas says they are SO high energy that you can exercise them for hours and they will still be bouncing off walls. There are much more reviews of "crazy" vizslas than goldens. We do love the lower maintenance grooming, most likely healthier breed, are less common, and have great ability to run with us for years.

My oldest daughter only wants the golden. The rest of us could go either way. We're intrigued by the vizsla very much but scared that the energy level may be too intense for us.
I don't know enough about Vizslas to comment. They seem like nice dogs though. I would bet they shed too though.

I have a friend with a German Shorthair Pointer, who might have about the same type coat as Vizslas. That dog sheds a lot. We were comparing notes on our dogs blowing coats right now.

We do plan to do careful training for whichever breed we choose as well as some doggy day care and play dates, dog parka for socialization.
I hope you also to dog classes for the first year as well. Actually instead of the dog parks.

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
Viszla's are good for running and hiking. You can't beat a golden for the undying "I will always love you" temperament.

·
Premium Member
16,435 Posts
I often babysit two vizslas, and they pitterpatter/prance everywhere in the house instead of walking. High energy is true, except that they are very sensitive and so are easily trained to settle if they get a big exercise bout first. Can you get the vizsla out 7 days a week? These owners run marathons as a hobby, so it is a good match.

Reactions: HiTideGoldens

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
If the hair bothers you how about a xolo? All dogs shed... it is just degrees. I tell my clients if you have a Martha Stewart house (and do not have a full time housekeeper) do not get a golden. I have six house goldens.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Cleaning regimen

Great suggestions thus far. Still hoping someone else might have both breeds with some advice. I've been searching old threads about how to keep shedding to a minimum. If we were to bathe and blow dry once per week, brush daily, and use furminator once per week do you agree this would significantly reduce the shedding?

·
Kate
21,682 Posts
If we were to bathe and blow dry once per week, brush daily, and use furminator once per week do you agree this would significantly reduce the shedding?
You might have a hairless itchy dog if you use the furminator once a week...

Bathing a dog that frequently will actually make him blow his coat more than if he were bathed on a regular basis (monthly or seasonally). Or I guess I should say that my guy blows his coat every time he gets a bath. He is bathed every 3 weeks. That means every 3 weeks I'm dealing with the coat blow - instead of dealing with that every week if I bathed him that often.

When a golden blows his coat, you would almost expect them to be bald after all of the fur they are leaving in their wake and you are brushing off of them.

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
I personally have had 6 goldens and none of them have been odorous or dirty and we don't bathe weekly like some. Weekly bathing and grooming will help but they still shed and almost all dogs do. For us the unconditional love and loyalty is more than worth it.

For us they are the perfect family member. I would go with a poodle if I were you.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Both dogs will shed! The biggest difference I have found with the fur is that the long Golden fur forms fur balls and the short fur of the Vizsla will stick in the fibers of material more. Brushing a Golden seems to catch the fur which can be tossed away. Personally our Goldens have never smelled bad. I have had more "dog" smell with short haired breeds than long simply because all the natural oils are more easily distributed the entire length of the fur. I also tend to have more allergy issues with very short haired dogs (pit bull, bull dog, boxer etc) for this same reason. As with any breed proper and often grooming will reduce the hair mess greatly. Tons of baths may actuall increase shedding temporarily because of the warm water (similar to summer shedding). My Golden boy usually takes baths swimming in the lake and only in the tub when muddy. The puppy years (yes years- till joint maturity, coat maturity, personality maturity) may seem to last a while- to include multiple coat blowing sessions(extreme fur loss). An adult Golden (after multiple visits with your family to test compatability) amy be your best bet as a lower shedding, calmer, runner. There are sadly lots of young adult Goldens in shelters everywhere. Good luck- my 4 kids, my husband and I have been forever converted to the Golden breed- fur and all.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
I've been searching old threads about how to keep shedding to a minimum. If we were to bathe and blow dry once per week, brush daily, and use furminator once per week do you agree this would significantly reduce the shedding?
I bathe Chance once a week and brush him twice a day and he still sheds a lot. I have blown through 4 vacuums in 6 years and my 5th is almost gone.

Seriously, Goldens shed like crazy...yes, they're definitely worth it to me, but they're not for every one. I just can't get by the statement you made about hating dog hair.

Bottom line: They shed...you will always have hair somewhere on you, your home, your car, everywhere. Everywhere. And when you read on this board..."how to keep shedding to a minimum", the minimum will probably still be way too much for you, (I'm going by the comments in your posts). The minimum to someone that already lives with a Golden is different than the minimum you're probably imagining because you've never lived with one. I hope that makes sense.

To your Vizsla question:

A friend I had when I was young had Vizslas. They were wonderful and beautiful dogs but their energy level was off the hook. We couldn't tire them out and we were wild kids. These dogs would wear all of us out. Her Dad hunted and when he came home from a hunting trip, the dogs were still ready to go and go and go...

1 - 20 of 44 Posts