Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
If you are used to a Pyrenees mix, I wonder if a purebred lab or golden will seem super high energy? Pyrenees are generally very calm and laid back-not a breed I would consider high energy; however, with lab or herding breeds in the mix, that might amp up their activity level a bit. Just a thought. :)

As far as labs vs. goldens, I can only speak from my experiences with them as a groomer, as a golden owner, and as someone who knows lots of purebred labs and lab mixes (however, I have never actually seen or met a well bred lab, so bear in mind that these things I'm stating about labs are all about the ones from bad breeders-I imagine a well bred lab would be much different!). In my grooming experience, labs are far more likely to have some form of aggression-fear, dog on dog, even towards people. I actually use as much caution with an unfamiliar lab as I would with a breed like a pit that is well known to have aggression in many individuals in the breed! However, having said that, I don't believe I've EVER seen or groomed a lab that actually came from a good breeder. But the fact is, my own golden is the only golden I've ever groomed that comes from a great breeder; and I've only groomed two goldens out of dozens that had any forms of aggression. So it would seem that even from bad breeders, goldens are still tending to have better temperaments. As far as training, my goldens and any golden I've ever worked with is like the easiest thing in the world to train-they are incredibly smart and are deeply loyal and want to please you! Any labs I've ever worked with are a bit more stubborn and just don't seem quite as smart or loyal as goldens (not that they aren't smart, I just think goldens are even smarter!). Actually, the most stubborn dog I ever worked with was a 6-7 month old lab puppy-I was helping his young owner teach him to sit-that dog locked his back legs and flat out refused to sit, even while pushing firmly on his rump and offering treats! As far as activity, both are high energy and will need adequate exercise in order to avoid destructive behavior-and that is more than just a leash walk around the block, lots of off leash running time, playing fetch, long hikes, my golden even goes on 10-15 mile or more horse rides with us. Labs I've worked with seem more hyper and seem to have less of an off switch (unless they are morbidly obese-which is also a tendency I see in ALL dog breeds-but you don't want to overfeed your dog just to make him "calm". And while we're on the subject, I feel like conformation labs are shown obese which is terrible for teaching the public what a lab should look like-now everybody thinks their obese lab is how they are supposed to look.) My goldens have been go all day full speed ahead while outside, and then total couch potatoes/cuddle bugs inside. Some of the more poorly bred goldens I've groomed are more hyper to. Both breeds shed a lot, but labs shed so much they almost make goldens look like they don't shed, lol. Both breeds have health issues so you'll want to find a breeder who is doing all the recommended clearances. Basically, in my experience, if you want a lab or a golden that will be the dog with the temperament, train-ability, looks, etc that they are supposed to have, make sure you find a REPUTABLE breeder! Obviously, I'm prejudiced toward goldens :) but whatever breed you get, you will be SO GLAD you got one from a reputable breeder-there is a very noticeable difference between well-bred and poorly bred (or even just so-so bred).

·
Golden in Training
31 Posts
Veterinarian's Concise Summary

When I was 11, my mom asked our veterinarian -- who is now my own dogs' vet -- what breeds he'd recommend for a family.

Labs and Goldens, was his reply.

My mom asked him which would be better, if there was a difference

The vet instantly answered, "They're both wonderful, but Labs are more boisterous."

We ended up bringing home a magnificent female Golden Retriever later that year from what was then a reputable, well-known, local kennel. Her name was Chelsea, and she lived until I was 24.

I think his explanation does better justice to the breeds than my typical wordiness could ever do.

·
Cassie's Mom
18 Posts
We have had three Golden Retrievers and one Black Lab. (we also had a Saint Bernard) I totally agree with someone above who mentioned the hair. Golden's hair is easier to clean up. Our lab's hair was in everything. Even in the wash! It would weave in fabrics and was always there. Our black lab only loved me, which was strange, since I thought they loved everyone. We laughed and called her a German Shepherd in a lab's body. All of our Goldens were wonderful. I miss hugging her with her fur and she was so gentle. When the Golden's would jump, you wouldn't even feel them, they were so gentle. The Lab, well, she could knock you down. We have been without our Cassie now for six months.....six months today. We miss her so much. We can't do the puppy thing any longer, so we are getting a White Golden Retriever in June. She will be almost eight months and trained, well as trained as they can be at 8 months. We wanted a different color, since Cassie was a dark golden, our first one was medium gold and our second one was a light gold. So, we opted for white. We get videos of her and pictures so we can watch her grow and can't wait to have her come home. I guess I would have to say I'm very partial to a Golden Retriever, but I truly loved my black lab!!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
If you are used to a Pyrenees mix, I wonder if a purebred lab or golden will seem super high energy? Pyrenees are generally very calm and laid back-not a breed I would consider high energy; however, with lab or herding breeds in the mix, that might amp up their activity level a bit. Just a thought. :)

As far as labs vs. goldens, I can only speak from my experiences with them as a groomer, as a golden owner, and as someone who knows lots of purebred labs and lab mixes (however, I have never actually seen or met a well bred lab, so bear in mind that these things I'm stating about labs are all about the ones from bad breeders-I imagine a well bred lab would be much different!). In my grooming experience, labs are far more likely to have some form of aggression-fear, dog on dog, even towards people. I actually use as much caution with an unfamiliar lab as I would with a breed like a pit that is well known to have aggression in many individuals in the breed! However, having said that, I don't believe I've EVER seen or groomed a lab that actually came from a good breeder. But the fact is, my own golden is the only golden I've ever groomed that comes from a great breeder; and I've only groomed two goldens out of dozens that had any forms of aggression. So it would seem that even from bad breeders, goldens are still tending to have better temperaments. As far as training, my goldens and any golden I've ever worked with is like the easiest thing in the world to train-they are incredibly smart and are deeply loyal and want to please you! Any labs I've ever worked with are a bit more stubborn and just don't seem quite as smart or loyal as goldens (not that they aren't smart, I just think goldens are even smarter!). Actually, the most stubborn dog I ever worked with was a 6-7 month old lab puppy-I was helping his young owner teach him to sit-that dog locked his back legs and flat out refused to sit, even while pushing firmly on his rump and offering treats! As far as activity, both are high energy and will need adequate exercise in order to avoid destructive behavior-and that is more than just a leash walk around the block, lots of off leash running time, playing fetch, long hikes, my golden even goes on 10-15 mile or more horse rides with us. Labs I've worked with seem more hyper and seem to have less of an off switch (unless they are morbidly obese-which is also a tendency I see in ALL dog breeds-but you don't want to overfeed your dog just to make him "calm". And while we're on the subject, I feel like conformation labs are shown obese which is terrible for teaching the public what a lab should look like-now everybody thinks their obese lab is how they are supposed to look.) My goldens have been go all day full speed ahead while outside, and then total couch potatoes/cuddle bugs inside. Some of the more poorly bred goldens I've groomed are more hyper to. Both breeds shed a lot, but labs shed so much they almost make goldens look like they don't shed, lol. Both breeds have health issues so you'll want to find a breeder who is doing all the recommended clearances. Basically, in my experience, if you want a lab or a golden that will be the dog with the temperament, train-ability, looks, etc that they are supposed to have, make sure you find a REPUTABLE breeder! Obviously, I'm prejudiced toward goldens :) but whatever breed you get, you will be SO GLAD you got one from a reputable breeder-there is a very noticeable difference between well-bred and poorly bred (or even just so-so bred).
Thank you for all the info, very useful. You make Goldens sound like the perfect breed for me lol

And I think it will definitely seem high energy compared to our dog who slept most of the day (unfortunately had to put him down Thursday) but when he was younger he was more active, actually a real pain the first few years lol, and I also walk and train my brother’s dogs a couple times a week and despite being a Pyrenees mix, the one is very high energy and very intelligent so I think that is good practice for a sporting breed lol she is Pyrenees, Lab, Boxer, and something else, possibly herding breed.

When I was 11, my mom asked our veterinarian -- who is now my own dogs' vet -- what breeds he'd recommend for a family.

Labs and Goldens, was his reply.

My mom asked him which would be better, if there was a difference

The vet instantly answered, "They're both wonderful, but Labs are more boisterous."

We ended up bringing home a magnificent female Golden Retriever later that year from what was then a reputable, well-known, local kennel. Her name was Chelsea, and she lived until I was 24.

I think his explanation does better justice to the breeds than my typical wordiness could ever do.
Thank you, I like that description and your Golden sounds wonderful.

We have had three Golden Retrievers and one Black Lab. (we also had a Saint Bernard) I totally agree with someone above who mentioned the hair. Golden's hair is easier to clean up. Our lab's hair was in everything. Even in the wash! It would weave in fabrics and was always there. Our black lab only loved me, which was strange, since I thought they loved everyone. We laughed and called her a German Shepherd in a lab's body. All of our Goldens were wonderful. I miss hugging her with her fur and she was so gentle. When the Golden's would jump, you wouldn't even feel them, they were so gentle. The Lab, well, she could knock you down. We have been without our Cassie now for six months.....six months today. We miss her so much. We can't do the puppy thing any longer, so we are getting a White Golden Retriever in June. She will be almost eight months and trained, well as trained as they can be at 8 months. We wanted a different color, since Cassie was a dark golden, our first one was medium gold and our second one was a light gold. So, we opted for white. We get videos of her and pictures so we can watch her grow and can't wait to have her come home. I guess I would have to say I'm very partial to a Golden Retriever, but I truly loved my black lab!!
Sorry for your loss :( How exciting about the new puppy though!! You will have to post pictures. I think I am starting to lean more towards a Golden but my only hesitation is ear problems and the coat care.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I think I am starting to lean more towards a Golden but my only hesitation is ear problems and the coat care.
If you mean ear infections, Labs get those too. Best way to prevent is weekly cleaning and after every bath or swim your dog takes.

·
Cassie's Mom
18 Posts
Only one of our Golden's had ear issues, and we just put drops in a couple of times/week and she was fine. Between our lab and Goldens, I think the Goldens need more brushing (especially behind the ears, as I saw someone else also mentioned), but we made it a fun time and she liked it (of course, treats were involved). I'm sure you will love whatever you get, hey, you could get one of each!!!!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
If you mean ear infections, Labs get those too. Best way to prevent is weekly cleaning and after every bath or swim your dog takes.
Thanks! This is helpful. I’ll have to do that.

Only one of our Golden's had ear issues, and we just put drops in a couple of times/week and she was fine. Between our lab and Goldens, I think the Goldens need more brushing (especially behind the ears, as I saw someone else also mentioned), but we made it a fun time and she liked it (of course, treats were involved). I'm sure you will love whatever you get, hey, you could get one of each!!!!
Thanks!! One of my brother’s dogs, Franklin, ended up developing a long, thick coat, much thicker than a Golden, more like a Pyrenees or Aussie coat, thick mane around the neck, so I am used to brushing him and I think it’s good practice for having a Golden. He needs behind his ears brushed because they get tangled and he also tends to get burrs and such in his coat I have to brush out. I have also fully brushed him out a couple times using an undercoat rake and a comb. Got SO much fur out every time. He’s fairly high maintenance coat while also being pretty low maintenance. By that I mean dirt and stuff seems to fall out and he looks handsome all the time even if you don’t brush him for a while but he gets tangled behind the ears and burrs in his fur. But he loves being brushed so thankfully it’s easy. Though he does get a bit wiggly after a while ? he’s still young though. Anyway, I think he is good practice. And I don’t mind brushing him. Although it definitely takes a long time. I wonder if maybe the Golden’s coat is a little bit thinner and easier and not quite as thick?? I am sure it is still lot of grooming but he has soooo much fluff and undercoat.

·
Don
187 Posts
Is Franklin a full golden?He's gorgeous but his face doesn't look all golden.
I will add that there's ONLY ONE down side to getting a golden, and that's when they leave us.
No words can describe the grief,as I now know all too well.
I hope you start your golden journey soon, it's an adventure filled with love.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I've never had a lab, so I can't actually say. They seem like cool dogs, but I've been bewitched by a Golden and plan to get another one. My neighbor has a chocolate lab that is a really pretty and sweet girl. The hair comments make sense to me because my daughter has a pug and that short hair is harder to get up than the fluffs of gold. They're more like tumbleweeds and you can just reach down and pick up or having a Roomba makes it super simple.

I'm really just commenting because I so miss having a Golden to hug. I used to hug Luke and breathe in because he was so soft and smelled so nice. I look forward to more Golden hugs in the future. Everyone told me Luke was a very calm Golden, so I'm not sure if that's true, but from the labs I've met I'd say they are more energetic. The other thing I love about Goldens are their expressive faces. It makes it seem as if they understand everything you say to them -- and perhaps they do. Mine was certainly intelligent and tuned in to how I was feeling.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Is Franklin a full golden?He's gorgeous but his face doesn't look all golden.
I will add that there's ONLY ONE down side to getting a golden, and that's when they leave us.
No words can describe the grief,as I now know all too well.
I hope you start your golden journey soon, it's an adventure filled with love.
Franklin is actually a rescue so we don’t know a lot about his history. He is actually my brother’s dog as is Libby. He and his wife adopted him last September as an ~4 month old puppy. He just turned a year old in June. The rescue at the time had said he was a “Pyrenees/Collie” mix but we’ve always suspected he was also part Golden or some sort of spaniel due to his coloring and his sweet, sweet temperament.

They ended up doing a DNA test on him and it came back as Great Pyrenees, Lab, Chow Chow and about half unknown so it was kind of useless haha it did say the half was likely a herding breed though.

But personally, none of us see Lab or Chow and SIL says he has a lot of mannerisms similar to the Aussie they had.

So we think that he is actually a Pyrenees/Aussie/Golden mix but we really don’t know for sure.

I would love to do a more detailed test to find out for sure but they’re so expensive.

But they’ve had quite a few people think he was a Golden, either full or a mix, and he’s got that super sweet, eager to please, docile, soft temperament so we really think he has Golden in him.

Libby is also a rescue. They adopted her last February at 12 weeks old from a different rescue and her description said “Great Pyrenees/Border Collie.” We didn’t see BC at first but soon did. Super, super smart and when they got Frank, her BC stalking behavior came out lol they play a stalk/chase type running game where they sneak up on each other until they’re close enough then break out running.

They did a DNA test on her too and it came back Great Pyrenees, Lab, Boxer, and about 25% unknown but we do think Border Collie because of her wicked smarts, behavior, coloring, and she’s also got a somewhat snipey Collie like face. She also acts very boxer like despite only being a fairly small percentage.

But I actually think they somewhat display the differences between the two breeds fairly well. Obviously they are rescues and mixed with a lot of other breeds so it’s not 100% but she is like a bull moose lol sweet girl but about 70, 80 pounds of solid muscle, somewhat stubborn when she wants to be (and very obedient otherwise and has learned lots of tricks so fully capable), and although she’s calmed down a lot now, she can be very excitable and will knock you over when she jumps. And of course the fur weaves into everything. Franklin on the other hand is very sweet, quite submissive actually, major people pleaser, a bit clingy, you don’t even feel him when he jumps up, soulful eyes, and of course his fur tumbleweeds and he does need brushing behind the ears.

But all of that is part of why I think he is part Golden and not Lab.

Not that Labs can’t be sweet dogs but we’ve had male Labs and Lab mixes, even had a male Lab/Pyrenees mix, and both were a lot more stubborn and in it for themselves than Frank is. Always had to be something in it for them. Frank just listens cause he wants to make you happy and praise and pats makes him so happy.

He is starting to somewhat get a little bit stubborn and not always want to listen or come when called and he’s a bit ADD sometimes and doesn’t like to hold commands long but he still tries hard to please and mostly listens. He wants to be a good boy and he cares about pleasing us whereas other dogs we’ve had haven’t unless something was in it for them.

Sorry for the novel and rambling

Oh and I know what you mean about the pain. We just had to put the Lab/Pyrenees mix down in December at 6 1/2. Way too soon but he developed an autoimmune disease and slowly declined over about a year and a half and one day just looked done so it was time. I didn’t think I was ready for another dog for a while but I think I am now.

And thanks! I hope I can too. They seem like such sweet dogs. I have watched my friend’s two Goldens several times and they are so sweet. And one especially is so smart, biddable, eager to learn. She’s a bit of a wild child but a sweetheart and tries hard.

I think I need one in between. With the desire to work and train but also easy to live with with an off switch and not hyper haha

I've never had a lab, so I can't actually say. They seem like cool dogs, but I've been bewitched by a Golden and plan to get another one. My neighbor has a chocolate lab that is a really pretty and sweet girl. The hair comments make sense to me because my daughter has a pug and that short hair is harder to get up than the fluffs of gold. They're more like tumbleweeds and you can just reach down and pick up or having a Roomba makes it super simple.

I'm really just commenting because I so miss having a Golden to hug. I used to hug Luke and breathe in because he was so soft and smelled so nice. I look forward to more Golden hugs in the future. Everyone told me Luke was a very calm Golden, so I'm not sure if that's true, but from the labs I've met I'd say they are more energetic. The other thing I love about Goldens are their expressive faces. It makes it seem as if they understand everything you say to them -- and perhaps they do. Mine was certainly intelligent and tuned in to how I was feeling.
Your Luke sounds amazing. I’m sorry you lost him! ?

Goldens do seem more in tune with their owners and soulful which is another reason I’m leaning towards them. Labs are great but they do seem more rowdy or at least more likely to want to go roaming around and getting into trouble. Goldens seem a bit more calm at least from the ones I’ve seen.

And I know what you mean about the tumbleweeds. Franklin’s fur just piles up including a corner under a table or something while Libby’s weaves into their couch. I imagine that’s probably how Golden versus Lab fur is. We used to have both a pure Lab and a Lab/Pyrenees mix and their fur was always everywhere and in everything!! Still finding fur even years later ?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Here’s some puppy pictures of Franklin. He looked very different than he does now and we didn’t realize he would develop such a thick coat or become so red haha

He was almost all white as a puppy but had the red ears and markings.

I think his ears looked pretty Golden like as a pup but idk.

Attachments

21 - 32 of 32 Posts