Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
We are going through the golden land shark stage ourselves and there are days that are harder then others. The best days are when we take our pup out and about town. Really anywhere out of the house provides mental stimulation and tires them out quickly. If you have a near by park or Lowes, Home Depot, etc. They come home and sleep.

Our puppy class trainer also taught us the “take it” game and said to feed all meals this way. You put out your closed hand with the palm side up/fingers curled. You open your hand and only allow the puppy to take the kibble after you said take it. This teaches them patience but also to lick your hand instead of bite. It goes towards reducing the force of the bites. So as you try to stop them all together you are at least reducing their intensity.

Best of luck and your pup is a cutie!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I would bet she needs WAY more mental and physical exercise. If she’s crated all the time she’s not get nearly the enrichment she deserves or needs as a puppy. What is your exercise routine for her? Are you giving her frozen kongs? Lick mats? Bones? Puzzle toys? Is she getting off leash to run every day? Playing fetch? Going to puppy classes to learn manners and obedience commands?
Yes, I'm doing all of it. Unfortunately it is nothing I'm doing wrong on my part. In fact, I've been doing an awfu lot right, according to my traner and vets opinion. It has been discussed with the vets today that she has genetic issues causing the UTIs. That most likely is causing her pain and discomfort. Therefore , crazy biting happens and training becomes more difficult when puppy isn't well and rested. Unfortunately damage is done now. The retriever should have never been bred to have a litter and the pup should have never been sold to me. Unfortunate situation I'm in.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
@Pat23 You're in between a rock and a hard place. Sounds like a bad "breeder" and I use that term loosely.
Have you had a chance to look into Golden Retriever Rescue Groups? Honestly, Your girl needs a special home due to her genetic health problem and consequential behavior issues. The right Rescue Group who will be able to work with her - both health and behavioral issues.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
@Pat23 You're in between a rock and a hard place. Sounds like a bad "breeder" and I use that term loosely.
Have you had a chance to look into Golden Retriever Rescue Groups? Honestly, Your girl needs a special home due to her genetic health problem and consequential behavior issues. The right Rescue Group who will be able to work with her - both health and behavioral issues.
Yes, after getting medical opinions today, I'm confident I'll make the right decision for the pup. Thank you!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
This is so sad:( maybe you could try a boarding trainer for a few weeks worst case scenario? I can’t imagine the pain the puppy is in.
It is sad. Believe me, I have shed alot of tears over this. But, now that we know some reasons behind the biting, I feel we can make her much more comfortable and less stressed.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts