Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I'm wondering if there is anyone on the site that has experience with Golden Mountain puppies?
We are having a horrendous time with our puppy to the point I might have to rehome her.
She defiantly has golden retriever in her! She is a super hard biter. Rips clothes, punctures skin, lunges. She is getting big now, 30 Pds at 16 weeks so we are trying to get a handle on her biting.
She has also had a UTI since day one of bringing her home and has just finished her 3rd round of antibiotic.
I just need help. Or support. I regret getting this dog. I fully admit I was excited and thought I did my research and thought I knew what I was doing. Obviously not enough research because now I have this vampire dog that is causing stress on our household and my 9 year old.
I have just about had it. One can only be bit so many times. I have a personal trainer. Basically, other than trying to work with her, she is crated. Any activity or even a slight touch to say good girl, ends up with biting and ripping clothes. I obviously can't have this behaviour around children. I feel like we are being consistent and have been training since day one. She is crate trained, on schedule, gets naps, walks, training, exercise.
Any experience or advice would be appreciated. We purchased her from a breeder about an hour and a half outside Kitchener Ontario. I wonder how the 7 other puppies from the litter are doing or if the new owners are struggling like us?

·
Registered
168 Posts
She is just in her “land shark” phase. When she does bite, tear clothes, etc. tell her NO firmly and trade her for a toy anytime she even touches mouth to skin or something she isn’t allowed to chew. You’re doing great! Enjoy your pup. Remember, she doesn’t know better if she keeps doing it. Just keep working with her and she will be a great companion🤍🙃

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. Landshark is right!
Unfortunately she hasn't taken to toys. She does accept treats like kibble or beef liver bits. It's difficult at the times when she can lunge off guard, for example when my daughter or myself are standing still with the pup on short leash. She lunges and grabs my shirt or wrist , she will start to twist and will not let go. Nothing seems to distract her in this mode.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
If she is kenneled unless you are working with her, she likely is full of energy.
Get her a snufflemat, plenty of chews and play her hard with toys, balls, tug etc.
The biting is a phase. Toys didnt help here either but a firm NO with closing her snout did. Luckily it didn't last forever.

·
Premium Member
1,913 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I don't know if it will help, but the forum has MANY threads that sound eerily like this post. Just do a search on "land shark" and "aggressive puppy" or "puppy biting" and you'll see what you are experiencing is not uncommon. That said, you should be nearing the end of the worst of it. Once her adult teeth come in the nipping at hands and clothes etc should begin to subside, so my advice would be to keep up the training, exercise and working with your trainer for a few more weeks before deciding that you need to consider rehoming your puppy. For the vast majority of Golden puppies, it DOES get better (well, until she begins adolescence, will may bring completely new issues ;) ). FWIW I've raised 5 golden puppies and the only one who tempted me to return him to his breeder turned out to have an ear infection. Curing the infection wasn't a cure-all, but it definitely made a big difference in my puppy's behavior. You may find the same when you finally get your girl's UTI under control.

Another thought to just keep in the back of your mind... reputable breeders do not breed mixed breed dogs and reputable breeders do not sell their puppies to people who will use them to create mixed breeds. Therefore, it's safe to assume that the parents of your puppy were not the best examples of their breeds, and that may affect not only her health and structure but also her temperament. At the moment, I see no reason to assume that this is what is going on with your puppy, since what you describe is pretty typical of even well-bred, purebred Golden puppies, BUT... if it does not begin to improve in the next month or so, even with exercise and training, it may be worth getting a second opinion from your trainer and/or another trainer as to whether what they are seeing in your dog is outside the norm and worthy of concern.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If she is kenneled unless you are working with her, she likely is full of energy.
Get her a snufflemat, plenty of chews and play her hard with toys, balls, tug etc.
The biting is a phase. Toys didnt help here either but a firm NO with closing her snout did. Luckily it didn't last forever.
Yes, she definately has energy. I suppose we just don't know what activities to engage her in. We will keep trying! Thank you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sounds like you have a pretty healthy , rambunctious , Golden Puppy. She needs lots of patience and lots of training. There is a quote I read in one of our puppy training books years ago that went something like this........ " If the puppy/dog is still doing something wrong, it is the humans fault not the puppy/dogs" That truly resonated with me. They are little sponges and truly do not WANT to be bad, they just have so much energy and don't know what to do with it. The biting can be stopped by softly closing their own lip on their teeth and saying "ouch" be consistent, don't raise your voice or yell and scream and that goes for all the family members. Another words, get a few good training manuals, ask for help from owners that have well behaved pets and good luck! As you can see they go through the "land shark stage" we have all been there. ; )

·
Premium Member
1,913 Posts
Yes, she definately has energy. I suppose we just don't know what activities to engage her in. We will keep trying! Thank you.
One of the best things you can do to exercise your puppy is to call her back and forth between two or more people. When she gets to whoever called her, gently and briefly take hold of her collar (which will teach her that someone holding her collar is not a bad thing) and then give her a big reward. For most puppies, a high value food treat (cheese, hotdog, chicken, roast beef) works well, but if your girl truly isn't food motivated, then you need to figure out what she loves (toys, tugs, chasing a toy, praise, affection). After a few seconds, release her and ignore her as your partner calls her back to them (collar grab/reward then ignore). Repeat until she starts to get tired (but stop before she loses interest in the game). Not only does this game give her a fair amount of exercise (with very little effort on your part) but it also establishes a great foundation for a reliable recall (come).

You can also buy or make a "flirt pole" - it sounds like your girl is one who might enjoy chasing something, and better it be a toy attached to a flirt pole than your hands or feet!

Reactions: Michellelyn

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you everyone for the feed back. I feel I have an awful lot going on with this pup.
I'll be curious to see if she is any better with the biting after her infection clears up. I can imagine she's not feeling well, I mean this infection has been going on for 6 weeks and who know how long before that!
I fully admit I should have done more research. I should not have purchased this pup with a child in the home. But, how can you possibly know with breed? I had a Irish Red and White Setter purebred before this pup and he was full of health problems too. Also, I've had strays and farm dogs that were such happy, healthy little dogs.
I feel did my best and am doing my best. But it does make me feel defeated knowing I'm a step away from having to rehome her.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I would venture that your #1 problem is keeping her kenneled so much. Puppies need exercise, and lots of it. A tired puppy is a good puppy. She needs safe walks, and lots of training time each day. When you wear her out, she'll be better behaved. Goldens are, by nature of their breed, very very mouthy dogs. It's in the name, "retriever", they live to have things in their mouth. The good news is, with lots of training and exercise, she'll learn to control her impulses soon as she gets to be a few months older.

Have you tried squealing when she bites? Or a rattle can?

·
Premium Member
1,913 Posts
Deep breaths. Chances are very good that things will improve within a few weeks. Do the best you can and reassess then. Make sure she's getting a good mix of exercise (to tire her out), training (to establish rules and boundaries), and down time (overtired puppies can get bratty just like overtired kids do). If things are still beyond your ability to cope in a few weeks, don't hesitate to come back and let us know exactly what your daily routine looks like, what behaviors you are seeing, etc. and we can see if we have other helpful suggestions.

Re the UTI... does the vet keep putting her on another 7-10 day course of the same antibiotic? Have they ever done a cystocentesis (needle into the bladder to get a sterile sample) and had it cultured to know for sure that the bacteria is sensitive to the chosen antibiotic? Have you had the vet recheck a urine sample a few days after stopping the antibiotic to verify the infection has been cleared? Has the vet checked her for a physical issue (such as a recessed vulva)? If not, or if you are not sure, I'd ask your vet. At this point, I'd insist on a sterile culture and possibly a prolonged period (several weeks) on the correct antibiotic.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Deep breaths. Chances are very good that things will improve within a few weeks. Do the best you can and reassess then. Make sure she's getting a good mix of exercise (to tire her out), training (to establish rules and boundaries), and down time (overtired puppies can get bratty just like overtired kids do). If things are still beyond your ability to cope in a few weeks, don't hesitate to come back and let us know exactly what your daily routine looks like, what behaviors you are seeing, etc. and we can see if we have other helpful suggestions.

Re the UTI... does the vet keep putting her on another 7-10 day course of the same antibiotic? Have they ever done a cystocentesis (needle into the bladder to get a sterile sample) and had it cultured to know for sure that the bacteria is sensitive to the chosen antibiotic? Have you had the vet recheck a urine sample a few days after stopping the antibiotic to verify the infection has been cleared? Has the vet checked her for a physical issue (such as a recessed vulva)? If not, or if you are not sure, I'd ask your vet. At this point, I'd insist on a sterile culture and possibly a prolonged period (several weeks) on the correct antibiotic.
Yes, to almost all of what you said above! The vet is going to take another look at the puppy on Friday. The culture came back with two postive bacteria. So the last dose of antibiotic was changed.Next steps will be a more in-depth exam to see if there is concern elsewhere that wasn't identified earlier.

·
Kate
22,991 Posts
I have just about had it. One can only be bit so many times. I have a personal trainer. Basically, other than trying to work with her, she is crated. Any activity or even a slight touch to say good girl, ends up with biting and ripping clothes. I obviously can't have this behavior around children. I feel like we are being consistent and have been training since day one. She is crate trained, on schedule, gets naps, walks, training, exercise.
Something to throw out there is you have been getting responses from people who have been politely ignoring the greater problem that you have not yet faced as the owner of a mixed breed dog - where part of your dog's breed makeup is a large, powerful, and sometimes temperamentally flawed breed. These dogs are perfect.... in the hands of an experienced owner who basically lives in obedience classes and does everything with the dogs to the point that the only time those dogs are in their crates, it's when they are sleeping. A young dog that is spending all quality time in a cage is not learning much about how to interact with you. And with a large breed like BMD's and add to that an unknown history (very likely not nice dogs) that is going to get really bad.

I was browsing YT looking for somebody that would be helpful with BMD's and really loved what this guy had to say. A lot of common sense. But it also touches on what might be ahead of the girlie does not get adequate socializing, manners training, and so on. A lot of what he says - I would personally apply to goldens as well. And we do not have the same aggression or turfing type stuff that other breeds naturally have. But we have dogs that pull, mouth, play "keep away", etc.... and truly benefit from a good and fair leader.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
@Pat23 You can see that the members on this forum are a very knowledgeable, helpful group. We truly want everyone to enjoy and build a beautiful lifetime relationship with their dogs.
But not every dog fits well into every household.
DO not beat yourself up over this. If you believe that you can devote the time and energy necessary to work out the issues, go for it !
But if she continues to remain in her crate or away from the family for everyone's safety, she will be harder to train and then it will require rehabilitation possibly.
Goldens - including mixes - are in high demand. A Golden Rescue will insure that she is re-homed with an experienced person/family. They will never just put her in a bad match situation. Most Golden rescues put the dog in a foster home with a an experienced Golden rescue volunteer who will be able to evaluate her and work on training. These rescue people are dedicated beyond belief.
This may be the alternative that is best for your family AND your pup.
No guilt. It is very apparent you are struggling and trying to discern the best avenue for all.
Good luck.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You are so welcome and I join my good wishes for rewarding times ahead whatever your decision needs to be.

·
Premium Member
1,913 Posts
@Pat23 I was looking online for a resource for something else and found this video which you may find helpful:

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I would bet she needs WAY more mental and physical exercise. If she’s crated all the time she’s not get nearly the enrichment she deserves or needs as a puppy. What is your exercise routine for her? Are you giving her frozen kongs? Lick mats? Bones? Puzzle toys? Is she getting off leash to run every day? Playing fetch? Going to puppy classes to learn manners and obedience commands?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts