Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Susan
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The tale (tail?) of the two Lucys (see Most Popular Golden Retriever Names thread) reminded me of a story in the news a couple of years ago about a lab mix-up in Oregon. After Easter weekend a dog owner realized when he got home that the black lab he had picked up from the boarding kennel was not his dog. Another owner who had picked up a black lab the same day insisted she had the right dog at first but eventually realized she had the wrong dog too and the dogs were reunited with the correct owners.

So what I wondered is when you are at a show and there are a lot of dogs who presumably look very similar have you ever gotten mixed up about which dog is yours?

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
I'm sorry this just seems so ridiculous to me. I know for a FACT that I would know whether a dog was mine or not. There is no way in hell I would mistake another dog for one of mine lol

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
As a child we had a small white dog. My mom dropped her off at the groomer's one day to get shaved. My sister picked the dog up. She called my mom and said "P.J. looks funny, and her tail is so short, I think they chopped it off" My mom told her she just wasn't used to seeing the dog with hair so short and to bring her home. Get the dog home, and she's 10 pounds heavier and had nipples. Not our dog!

Go up to the groomers, and it turns out that the owners of the dog we had brought home were out of town for a week, and someone else had picked up the dog for them(not realizing it wasn't the right dog they had picked up and actually our dog). We get the address of the home of the other dog, and nobody is there, but we can hear our dog barking at us from inside. My mom is freaking out that our dog is locked up in someone's house, owners are out of town, and we don't have anyone to contact to get her out. Finally she finds that the back sliding door wasn't locked so she opens it up and gets our dog.

·
Susan
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I think I would always know my dog too, but I'm thinking at a conformation show all the dogs would look very similar so that's why I wondered.

That is too funny about PJ. I'm sure it was upsetting at the time though.

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
this just happened in Washington with 2 black labs!! they were with their "new" owners for 3 weeks....one owner noticed some attitude (duh!) and checked for a small physical difference in mouth - took dog in for chip scan. Each dog eagerly ran to different owner when they were picked up at same time.

bet one owner thought boarding taught their dog alot!

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Even at 4 months old there is no way in heck I could possibly mistake another dog for Murphy. Just like children they all have different traits that mommies just know.

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
We have our rescue reunion every year at a pond where there are at least 100 dogs (99% are golden retrievers) who are running and swimming. Every once in a while a dog will come up to me and I will pet it without looking too closely at the dog, thinking it's one of mine. But when I do look, I can tell immediately that it's not one of mine. Of course, my dogs are pretty much glued to me at these fundraisers. But I have had other folks come up and start scolding at one of my dogs because he didn't come when he was called. They thought one of my boys was their dog. LOL

I could never leave one of these events with the wrong dog, though.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
I can imagine at first glance to mistake your dog for another, but no way could I live with a dog for 3 weeks before noticing I had the wrong one. Even when Hank's littermate brother is here, I know which one is mine. I can understand a stranger not knowing though.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I know someone who brought the wrong golden retriever home from the groomer. She didn't notice anything wrong until she started her dishwasher. Her dog is afraid of the dishwasher, but this dog wasn't. I think I would know if I had the wrong dog well before that point. Even if two dogs look very similar they are bound to act a bit different.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts