Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Joy of my heart
529 Posts
"The dog was normally never on a leash. Big mistake," Halter said Thursday. "But he was always next to my son. He never left his side, so we never really had a problem."

After I saw that comment, I stopped reading. This never would have happened if those people kept the dog on a leash. This just goes to show that it only takes one time for something odd to happen. The most well-trained dog in the entire country can, without warning, run off if they choose to. This is the perfect story to illustrate that notion. Just because it's never happened, doesn't mean it never will! It is great that they found the dog, but to think that this could have all been prevented if these people had the common sense to always keep the dog on a leash because you never know. Better safe than sorry, right??????

I cannot count how many people tell us when we're walking past their house that their dog is well-trained & won't leave the yard. Sure enough, if they don't have electric fencing, EVERY SINGLE TIME, those dogs are chasing us down the road. One even attacked Goldie. :mad: :mad: :mad: You can never blindly 100% trust animals - they have a free will too, no matter how well-trained they are! Twice we had to stop traffic in the middle of the road so those dogs wouldn't get hit, & finally the owners ran out in the road to get them. Remember, these are people who said their dogs are well-trained & know better than to run out into the road....

Electric/wooden/chainlink/vinyl fences & leashes were created for a purpose...these are boundaries to protect them/keep them safe from accidents. Why are people so reluctant to use them? Even though I hate electric fencing because dogs can still break free & it doesn't keep other animals/people out of the yard, it is still better than nothing.

·
Dog Lover
42,036 Posts
Buck

What a beautiful story!!'

Buck I am so glad that you and your family were reunited and I bet you haven't stopped smiling.:wavey:
I only wish all Lost Dogs and Cats were so blessed.

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
Great ending, but totally agree with K9 Passion. When my dad's first springer was a youngster she was attacked and chased by a dog over the field and she bolted 2 fields and over a main road, luckily she was unhurt and she went home, but it does show that even a well trained dog, which she was, when frightened resorts to the flight instinct.

·
3 goldens
11,695 Posts
One thing---never say never. The first gordon setter i ever saw was at my vet's several years ago he was about 12 the guy said the dog had ridden in the back of his pick-up his entier life, 10 years or so, and then suddenly a couple of years before had jumped out of the moving truck. Luckily he was going very slow at he time and the dog got pretty bad road rash and a broken shoulder. He had to bring the dog in every 6 weeks or so for steroid injection for that shoulder. Said he never thought the dog would jump out after all those years and is not sure why he did. But he neve put the dog in the back of thetruck again.

My son was a fanatic about his golden never riding in the back of his pickup even when scooter was wet and muddy afer a hunt. One time his truck was in the shop and he was going hunting with a buddy whose golden had always ridden in the back of his ruck--taffy had died a year or so before of cancer. Anyway, he wanted ron to put scootr in the back and ron refused,. I ended up letting him take my car with fabric seat cover (he had platic stuff on his truck seat) because i agreed....you never know what a dog is likely to do.

·
Joy of my heart
529 Posts
One thing---never say never....
Yes, never say never. Unfortunately, it usually takes something bad to happen before people change their ways and/or even think about, such as the incident you mentioned with the gordon setter. How heartbreaking that it took all that for the owner to realize the danger, of what seemed pretty obvious to me. :(

This is how I felt when Goldie/Aspen had that strangulation incident a few years ago with their collars & dangling tags. I didn't realize the danger involved until that episode occurred, but those 3 minutes changed my life forever (& my mother's because it took both of us to free them). Now, every single time I see pictures of dogs with dangling tags, it brings back that horrible memory & makes me cringe with fear & sadness. Even when I see past pictures of my two wearing those collars & dangling tags, it makes me sad, yet so thankful that they were both okay & I now have the opportunity to help others prevent this from occurring with their dogs.
http://www.goldenretrieverforum.com/showthread.php?t=48830

·
<---- Andy Farmer!
5,885 Posts
I remember reading this earlier in the month and I thought it was Buck from Bucksmom.. Do you guys remember that story here? Then I realized the dog was missing last year and Bucksmom was like 2 years ago or something like that. Whoa...too similar for me!

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Amazing story. This was posted a while back on here. This should be a lesson for everyone to leash their dogs at all times.

·
Tucker - Tanner - Cooper
1,624 Posts
AndyFarmer I thought that exact same thing when I read it. Great story.

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
So wonderful he survived and is back home now.

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
I remember reading this earlier in the month and I thought it was Buck from Bucksmom.. Do you guys remember that story here? Then I realized the dog was missing last year and Bucksmom was like 2 years ago or something like that. Whoa...too similar for me!

Also Buck was like 12, not 7 years old right? That story infuriates me... I almost wish you hadn't brought it up :(

1 - 16 of 16 Posts