Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Lost Her Mind
3,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every once in a while we get to listen to this:

Sometimes it will go on for HOURS. It's a senior golden retriever. Once in a while when we go for our walks we'll see him chained in the front yard instead of the back. It's gotten SUPER cold lately, and this poor guy sounds like he is sick or something!

I tried to call the police about a week ago about it, but they said it wasn't a priority. (The city just recently laid off like half of the police we have.)

Anyway. This breaks my heart so much... ESPECIALLY when I hear it at night. This isn't even the worst he sounds. Sometimes it's much more like... phlegmy.

I don't know what to do. :(

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
Do you know them? CAn you ask if they are gone all day that the senior come to your place...if your able? It's so sad.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
Do you have a SPCA in your area? Maybe they could be of some help.

·
Lost Her Mind
3,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you know them? CAn you ask if they are gone all day that the senior come to your place...if your able? It's so sad.
I don't know them, but I have tried to see if they wanted their golden to come play with Mojo before we got Maxie. All it took was one visit and them saying "He doesn't play" and then getting a door shut in my face. :( I would LOVE to have him over to play sometime! (or forever...) I just feel SO BAD for him. Especially when I take mine out, and he hears them... then I can tell he's barking where our fences meet at the corner. Like he wants ME to help him.

Seriously, what's WRONG with people?

Do you have a SPCA in your area? Maybe they could be of some help.
I'm not sure, how could I find out?

·
Lost Her Mind
3,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's disgusting.
That's the EXACT word I use when Gary and I talk about it. I saw Gary back there the other day sticking treats into the fence. Quieted the poor guy down for a bit. I bet he's hungry.

Or, you know, it could be the fact that it's about 3 degrees outside.

·
Carol
478 Posts
Animal Rescue in Frankenmuth

I don't know exactly where you live but I googled your hometown and came up with this Rescue Organization. Not sure if this is current or still exists but worth a try - perhaps they could direct you to the appropriate agency if not them. Poor baby....I would find it so upsetting to hear that poor boy and not be able to help. Good luck.

Pet Angel Adoption & Rescue Inc

Frankenmuth
frankenmuth, Michigan 48734
Phone: 989-652-2730
Email: [email protected]

·
Lost Her Mind
3,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you!! If we did do anything... it would probably be rescuing him and keeping him myself. We have room for one more here, and I think with some planning we could pull it off.

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
That is so sad. I can't understand the mentality of someone who gets a dog to be a lawn ornament... it's bad enough when I see outside dogs HERE, can't imagine if I saw one in snowy cold weather.

·
Old Gold is the Best Gold
18,122 Posts
Could you have someone else (NOT one of you) go knock on the door and offer them a decent sum of cash to buy the dog? I'd donate. If they refuse, then later, you can report them or whatever, and they're less likely to suspect you, if you didn't offer the money.

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
Could you have someone else (NOT one of you) go knock on the door and offer them a decent sum of cash to buy the dog? I'd donate. If they refuse, then later, you can report them or whatever, and they're less likely to suspect you, if you didn't offer the money.
I'd donate too :)

I agree, not letting them link you with a report if you make one. Having dogs, I always worry about pissing off neighbors.. you never know what someone would do to one of your pets if they have a beef with you.

·
Mom to Bailey & Burgundy
4,217 Posts
I didn't watch the video - can't watch anything that involves animal suffering without having an anxiety attack...in fact I had to go away from this thread, collect myself and then come back to write this...:doh:

You should go up to them, sweet as can be, NOT confrontational at all, and just say something along the lines of "I hear your boy outside crying from my house, and I was wondering if you would consider letting my husband and I adopt him from you - so he can be inside with my pups all the time" and just see what they say...

It's definitely a really tough conversation to have, but sometimes you have to swallow your pride and put yourself in an uncomfortable situation for the greater good...

·
Registered
263 Posts
I want to chain those owners outside for a night or two and see how they like it! It literally makes me SICK.

It would be a very merry Christmas for the poor guy if he got to come live with Mojo and Maxie (and their humans, of course.)

It's tremendously sad because these people have failed this poor dog and he is the one who has to suffer for it. I'd go march over there and offer to take the dog off their hands (since they dont seem to care about him at all). Try the rescue Carol suggested or a local shelter or animal control, any thing is better than leaving him outside and alone!

Poor guy, this breaks my heart. Good luck and please let us know how it goes!!!

·
Lost Her Mind
3,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Does anyone remember the lab Sophie? The one that probably died from heartworm? Well, she lived RIGHT behind us. These people live next to them. I never did anything to help Sophie, and it still bothers me to think about it. I don't want the same to happen to him.

One of Gary's work buddies just lost their dog and they want to get a new one. I bet I could get THEM to talk to the people and offer money. There's no way they could connect them to us.

Melissa, I'm sorry for this bothering you. :( It bothers me too... I've cried at night before.

If it doesn't work with Gary's friend, we will be very kind and go talk to them.

Poor guy is chained up and the yard is completely fenced in.

·
Lost Her Mind
3,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Okay, so... I don't know if he's still out there. I didn't hear him or see him and if he WAS out there... he didn't hear me.

You think someone else called about him?

·
Kristy
9,921 Posts
I would also be willing to donate to buy the dog.... when I was a teenager our neighbors down the street had a precious black mix puppy that they had to have and then chained out in the backyard, I went one night and took him out of the backyard and brought him home to my parents. My parents' best friends in another neighborhood across town adopted him and he lived a nice long life. I wish everything could be that simple....

Please post if you choose to start a fund, I would donate....

·
Lost Her Mind
3,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If they are unwilling to pay for the dog (Gary's friends) I will start a fund.

GRF rocks. Literally.

·
Lost Her Mind
3,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Here's their backyard... at least what we can see from ours.

Other than getting my eyeball impaled by a twig... nothing happened. I seriously don't think he's out there anymore. I couldn't hear chains or anything.

It surprises me though, because he's ALWAYS out there. No matter when we go outside, there he is. :(

1 - 20 of 119 Posts