Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had our Golden, Chester (age 7), shaved for the summer. He has a mild case of laryngeal paralysis. His breathing is so much better now that most of his coat is off. But I notice he's not drinking much water lately. Has anyone had trouble with their dog not drinking enough? His urine, naturally, is dark yellow.

Cheryl
:)

·
<---Bring on the grub!!!!
3,737 Posts
A Golden not drinking:

Hello Charliemaggie, What do you mean by laryngeal paralysis? Is he having trouble swallowing water or is he just not interested in drinking? Has his voice become hoarse at all? Does he have any trouble eating or swallowing dry dog food or biscuits? Is he showing any signs of back leg weakness? Sorry for the 20 questions but I am interested in your answers. Cathy

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, LP is when the larynx doesn't open all the way when they breathe or eat. Just once in a while he'll cough when drinking or eating. His voice is not hoarse, and his back legs are in great shape. Everything seems pretty normal, even his energy level is good. He's just not drinking much water.

Cheryl

·
<---Bring on the grub!!!!
3,737 Posts
Chester:

I am glad that you don't have any problems in the areas I described. Sasha was a big drinker and would always come from where ever she was if she heard me filling her bowl with fresh water. You should ask your vet about it , especially now that summer is here. Dehydration is an awful thing.:( Cathy

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Hello Cheryl,Have you tried raising his water(and food) dish? We use rubbermaid step stools.I drilled some holes in the ones used for the water dishes to let it drain.We had a Golden(Charlie,at the Bridge) and he had trouble swallowing water or food.Raising the bowl worked wonders.

However,I'd recommend a visit to the Vet first.
Shane

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Have you tried to use ice cubes to get him to drink?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I checked his skin reaction to touch, and it bounces back just fine. He's very inactive during the day while I'm at work (my hubby is at home with him during the day). So, maybe he's getting enough water.

I forgot about raising the water dish. I used to do that and stopped because our Charlie (now at the Bridge) had a condition that required it be lower. I'll raise it ASAP. Thanks for reminding me.

We'll be seeing the vet soon. I'll ask him then about the water drinking.

Cheryl

·
Old Guy
3,258 Posts
Just a suggestion

Try using "hot-dog" water (boil some hot-dogs... you eat the hot-dogs and give your dog the water after its cooled some... you could also boil some chicken and give your dog the broth, etc...) I think in hot weather, its important to add some electrolytes to those liquids... I recommend 'Lite' salt as it provides both sodium-chloride AND potassium-chloride... just a pinch for every cup of broth.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi, we put salt loaded with minerals ususally on Chester's food.

He seems to be drinking more water now. Like I said, during the work week, he is pretty inactive while I'm away. This weekend, I've been throwing his frisbee a lot, and then he drinks a lot of water.

I was probably just worrying too much about him. But it does seem like you need to worry about them more when they're his age (7), since we lost Charlie at age 8 and he was Chester's half-uncle.

Thanks for the adivce.

Cheryl

·
Registered
46 Posts
have you tried changing the water several times a day? My lab is quite picky about her water, and she will only drink it when it's fresh and cool. If it sits out for a while...forget it. So I am forever changing the water!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Chester's not a fussy dog like our other Golden, Thunder. Chester willl eat just about anything (if it's too hot or cold), so I don't think the water temperature bothers him. I did elevate the water dish. I know that will help with his swallowing.

Thanks for your help!

Cheryl

1 - 11 of 11 Posts