Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Golden Rtriever in London
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear List members,
I am Richard Davis from London UK.
My Golden Retriever, Daisy, is 3.5 yrs old and is expecting pups on 16th Feb 2015.
I have read the "Book of the Bitch", which seems a fantastic resource, but does anyone else have any words of wisdom for both my and my dogs first litter?
Many thanks,
Richard

·
Registered
18,187 Posts
Hi and welcome from another UK member, sorry I don't have any experience with this but I'm sure others will be able to help and offer advice!

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
Hello and welcome, another Uk er here. I have two boys so I don't do litters, lol, but I understand that book you have is excellent. It may be a starter to let people know how much or little you already know. Assuming you researched this beforehand or was it an oops litter? Many people recommend you have a mentor locally, do you have anyone locally who can be called upon to help for whelping? Is your breeder able to help with support or and advice? Or the Studs owner?
A whelping box is important with a covered area for Mums privacy/comfort, heat, a good diet for Mum and eventually pups, keeping an eye out for calcium deficiency re Mum after whelping and for a while after and acting as quickly as possible if it is suspected, knowing the date frame the pups could arrive in and also watching for signs of 'inertia' which is the failure of the uterine contractions to push the puppy out..for various reasons. Milk Fever. There's many potential problems to be aware of, these are just some that I have often seen people post about that have happened to their dogs. There's also the need to watch the Mum doesn't harm the pups or roll on them. I think all these things will be covered in the book you have. If she was mated more than once there will be a time frame the pups could arrive in due to the different dates of the mating so you will need to be on standby. Some pups may need extra help too when they arrive and you need to have a vet you are happy with that can attend in an emergency at any hour or the means to transport Mum and pups comfortably and safely to at any hour if need be. I doubt I've been any help but hopefully someone better qualified / experienced can help. :)

·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Help needed

Thanks for your kind words accepting me into the group.
In reply to you asking if there is a mentor nearby. I have not found one yet despite aksing around the agility club we go to.
I have built a whelping box with "pig rails", ordered everything I can think of which is either mentioned in the "Book of the Bitch" or recomended by breeders on the internet.
I am mainly concerned with recognising symptoms of distress when there is something really wrong and differentiating this from just normal birth pain.
Why aren't there labour wards for dogs?
My GR is half rescue dog from my friends farm in Spain so no help from them, and stud is a local family dog but a superb GR specimen, as is mine. No hlep from the family either, so I'm a bit lost.
If there is anyone near the Muswell Hill area of North London who could mentor me I would be most grateful.
Many thanks,
Richard

·
Premium Member
18,520 Posts
Since you aren't finding a mentor readily, your vet will be you next source of assistance. I would also contact the local Kennel Club and see if they could put you in contact with a breeder that might be willing to talk with you.

·
Registered
18,187 Posts
Keep posting and please ask any questions you may have, I am sure that others on the forum will be able to help, good luck!

·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Puppies born

Ten pups born 15th Feb. No real problems. All made it ok to two weeks old yesterday ok.
Yesterday I gave Drontal Puppy deworming medicine at two weeks old as per instructions from the vet. Weighed them, gave exact amount based on 1ml per kilo of body weight.
Pups all ok all night, am sleeping with them so I check every two hours, and ok this morning. After I got back from taking my daughter to school I noticed one was laying in a strange position so I proded her, but she didn't respond. She was warm but not breathing, so I tried to revive her, nothing. I rushed her to the vet, who is 1 minute away, but she didn't revive.
Vet thinks it could be recaction to deworming or she may have got trampled in this mornings feed frenzy.
You can't believe how sad I am, and guilty in case it was something I missed or should have done.

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Pups

Ten pups born 15th Feb. No real problems. All made it ok to two weeks old yesterday ok.
Yesterday I gave Drontal Puppy deworming medicine at two weeks old as per instructions from the vet. Weighed them, gave exact amount based on 1ml per kilo of body weight.
Pups all ok all night, am sleeping with them so I check every two hours, and ok this morning. After I got back from taking my daughter to school I noticed one was laying in a strange position so I proded her, but she didn't respond. She was warm but not breathing, so I tried to revive her, nothing. I rushed her to the vet, who is 1 minute away, but she didn't revive.
Vet thinks it could be recaction to deworming or she may have got trampled in this mornings feed frenzy.
You can't believe how sad I am, and guilty in case it was something I missed or should have done.
I am so sorry the one pup didn't make it. Rest in peace, sweet, little angel.
I would stay in very close touch with your vet about how to care for them.
I believe there lots of info on the internet about how to care for pups, but the vet would be my first resource.

·
Registered
10,542 Posts
I am so sorry for the loss of the pup. Don't beat yourself up about it-there is likely nothing you could have done.

Did you have a necropsy done, to try t determine cause of death?

If there is a possibility it was the wormer, I would not use it again, just in case. Two weeks old is a bit old for the mother to accidentally crush one but it could happen.

It is so hard to lose a little one :(

·
Registered
18,187 Posts
I am very sorry for your loss.

·
Grumpy Old Man
4,599 Posts
One of the difficult lessons to learn as a breeder and it isn't a fun one. If you undertake this part of purebred dogs, you're going to have to face the fact that not all puppies survive. There will be losses from time to time and that's just the way it is. It goes with the territory.

·
goldenfan
746 Posts
It can happen that a bitch can crush a puppy and in my experience it is more common around the 2 week mark as they start to move around more. You need to start weaning at 3 weeks. I use a puppy food soaked (Royal Canin) until it looks like porridge, once daily at 3 weeks building up to 4 times daily at 4weeks. You will need to register the puppies with the Kennel Club, order pedigrees and provide copies of hip elbow and eye testing certificates for each of the puppy owners and PRA DNA certs as well for both sire and dam. Annef

·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for this. I start on Royal Canin Starter Maxi food tomorrow. The botch has been on it since whelping. My question is do I also provide a bowl of water for the pups? I read somewhere that water should be available at all timesm when they change weening, but doesn;t the bitch provide enough liquid in her milk until she stops feeding from her teats?
Many thanks for everyone's kind words.

·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No necrospy or autospy was mentioend or offered by the vet. I don't think she would want to do one because it seems to be that you have to accept a loss from any litter for whatever reason. She questioned me about the dose of Drontal, but we were very precise in our measurements having just weighed the pups so they all had the exact amount of 1ml per kilo of body weight, pro rata.

·
goldenfan
746 Posts
I don't put water down until they are on 4 feeds as I find they paddle in it, so I offer them a drink of water after I have fed them and Mum has fed them. I find attaching the water bowl to the run makes it less likely to spill as well. Annef

·
Registered
5,357 Posts
Hi, (also from the UK).
So sorry to hear that you lost 1 pup :(
Royal canin is a really good starter food, we've bred litters before (not goldens) and it's always suited them. Hope that Mom Daisy is doing well, you must have your hands full with 9 little ones. We had 10 rottie pups once and had to keep rotating the pups during feeding to ensure they all got an equal share - lots of hard work, but it's wonderful when they start to get their little personalities in a few weeks :) Please keep us updated on how they're doing and if you have any queries someone will always try to get back to you with some advice.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts