Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Goldens Rule in SW PA!
2,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All:

I just received this from one of our rescue folks. We're trying to spread the word and inundate the powers that be in KY to prosecute this ******* to the fullest extent of the law.

I'm not too good at cutting and pasting--but the email contained graphic pictures of the Goldens remains--again, they are GRAPHIC. I refuse to look at them--they're supposed to be just terrible.

I scanned the Forum for other entries on this case--but found none. If this is a repost--my apologies.

This should make you angry--terribly angry. We plan on contacting the authorities tomorrow and next week and see what can be done.

I've tried to cut and paste the email chain below; I got everything except the pics. Of course, in trying to copy and past the email chain, I did see the pics--they are absolutely horrible.

A quick email to the governor would help--phone calls would help too.

Scott J.

There's no need to look at the pictures if you can't, they are horrifying, but PLEASE email the govenor as requested below. Many of us have adopted out, transported from, or adopted pups that originated from KY. This is so disgusting and just reinforces why we need to get these poor furkids out of there.

Thanks for taking the time to read, and please forward to all your dog loving contacts!

Beth Rimer
Road Trip Rescues

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2009 17:07:00 -0800
Subject: Golden Retriever "hung" in Bath County KY
To: [email protected]
CC: [email protected]

PLEASE CROSSPOST EVERYWHERE!

I am asking everyone who receives this email to forward it to the Governor with any comments you care to make. We need to inundate Governor Beshear with emails and to send this story to him over and over and over again until his inbox overflows. Doesn't matter if you live in KY or not. Let this state know that we can no longer stand idly by as the abuse continues while lawmakers do NOTHING. I have copied him in on this plea to you to join me!

If not now, when?? If not us, then who will speak for the voiceless??

Here is the Governor's address: [email protected]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: Rodriguez, Sharon (CHFS OATS MSMB) [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Thursday, November 05, 2009 11:08 AM
Subject: FW: Horrible - dog hung in Bath Co - Read, you don't have to look

The angry words of the writer speak volumes …

Sent: Thursday, November 05, 2009 8:37 AM
To:
Subject: FW: Horrible, graphic picture of hung dog in Bath Co - Read, you don't have to look

Graphic. If you can't look, then please read. Thank you Susan for going to bat for this beautiful dog who must have suffered so much.....please folks, keep up with this. Let your leaders know that in KY we are sick and tired of weak laws that allow this type of madness. Anyone who would do this, would do anything...would hurt anything.....or anyone. We have calculated that one email on the animal rescue network can reach tens of thousands in minutes.....reach out and touch someone who will say, we're mad as hell and we're not going to accept this madness any longer.....

Folks:

These are the pictures of the golden retriever that was shot and hung yesterday. The facts that I know are sketchy. The last I heard was that our ACO was going to the County Attorney's office tomorrow to ask to press charges.

I want everyone to know upfront that one of the recipients of this email is our Judge Executive, Carolyn Belcher. She is totally aware of what has happened. Please do not call her office. Hopefully she will honor my right of freedom of speech as I write the rest of this email as some of it will not be flattering to the Bath County government.

I want to press for prosecution of this *******, Wesley Barrett, who lives on Peeled Oak Road in Owingsville. The only one who has the power to do that is our County Attorney, Leslie Richardson. I have had many of you ask who to call. After tomorrow, I will know if Ms. Richardson is going to prosecute. You can call her office at 606 674-2454.

I am also going to say that Bath County is the worst place to get anyone convicted for animal abuse, unfortunately. Barrett is now saying that his "neighbor" shot the dog and he hung it there to make a point. He is a liar.

I am also going to tell you that the KY State Police are about as much help as a toothpick in a windstorm. I called them 2x and they tell me that they were called only to "assist" our ACO. Remember the starving horses on Route 211? They (KSP)watched for days and weeks while several of them died.

Take a look at these pictures. Look at the gunshot in the leg. I believe this poor guy died from being hung. I have asked our ACO to retrieve the body of the dog for a necropsy. I have also asked him to retrieve the gun that Barrett owns. I don't know how far I will get.

I am totally dumfounded as to which way to go. I would like to ask all of you to help me. Guide me, advise me, call someone who knows someone who might be able to help us here in Bath County. This insanity must stop. This story is going to be on the news tonight here in KY at 11. At this point, from being in Bath County for the past 7 years, I have known of dogs and cats murdered, starved, shot and burned so I don't look for a lot of support from the Bath County Law Enforcement or the media. (My apologies to the newspeople reading this.) A plastic bag full of tiny puppies, ten of them, were thrown out on Route 60 and run over by cars about 2 years ago. No one was ever charged with this. It was on the news and the next day it was over.

I am sickened by the slaughter of our animals. I really need your help. I hope that you will all tell everyone you know about this. Let your feelings be known about this. Encourage our County Attorney to DO SOMETHING about this.

Thank you...This is the second sad day of many to come before this ******* Wesley Barrett is brought to justice. When that happens I will draw a happy breath.

Please, also, the Golden Retriever rescue people, hope you jump on this!!!!!

"Heaven goes by favour. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in."
- Mark Twain

Susan Harris

Eastern Kentucky Animal Rescue

Sylvia's Animal Sanctuary

606-674-9508 home

859-585-1384 cell

http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/KY283.html

=

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
There was a post in the Main Discussions forum, but I don't think this subject could get too much exposure in my opinion.

·
16,000 Posts
Hi, Scott. This actually was posted previously. I am in contact with Susan Harris, and waiting for more information from her. She emailed me twice today, but my last reply to her has not been read.
I am not finding any news links about this, nor have I actually seen links to the photos. (Maybe that's a good thing...) I've offered help on several levels, but need more info, which I am waiting for. I have resources in KY that can help, but need to supply them with further info.

·
RIP Sweet Skyler
9,306 Posts
The Animal Control Officer is Officer Tapp and his cell # is 606-336-8450. Main City/County Dispatch is 606-674-2006. I have calls in to verify. Please keep this bumped up with any information that becomes available. Sheriffs Office is aware of it and has turned it over to Animal Control for investigation. Please, do not look at any pictures of this that are being sent. It will disturb you and make you sick. But, we HAVE to find out if this is indeed true and if it is then I'll speak later.

Steve

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Bumping

Someone had emld. me a picture-it was heartwrenching, just horrible.

I am keeping this bumped up.

·
RIP Sweet Skyler
9,306 Posts
Officer Tapp has returned my call and offered the following:

1. The dog was shot for reasons unknown - perhaps chasing lifestock, cats, poutry, etc by persons unknown at this time.

2. The owner found the dog dead from the gunshot wounds.

3. The owner, a self admitted "hothead" who doesn't "think things through" then hung the dog up so that whoever had shot his dog would see what they had done and perhaps show remorse (why they would after shooting the dog I don't know)

4. There is a full investigation under way by Officer Tapp and he will file charges and prosecute to the fullest extent possible anyone (including the owner) who have played a hand in this tragedy.

5. Yes - his phone and the phone of the County Attorney have been ringing off the hook

6. Yes - I am willing to take Officer Tapp at his word at this time. He has interviewed the owner more than once and Officer Tapp seems to wear his heart on his sleeve for all to see. As an Animal Control Officer he has personally (according to him) achieved a 95% adoption rate with stray animals the county takes in.

7. Yes - he has agreed to contact me with any new developments in this case, and the case will remain open.

8. I am going to make a post on the Rainbow Bridge section for this poor dog and I will name him Bath since that was the county he ran and played in. Please light a candle for him.

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Steve

Steve

Oh my, poor Bath.

I am going to the Rainbow Bridge Section now.

How tragic and thank you for finding out about him.

·
Registered
8,990 Posts
My somewhat under control horrible temper has just about popped a cork.:mad:

My God... the owner hanging the dog up was almost as evil as someone shooting the poor pup.

RIP poor Bath.

·
They get it
4,446 Posts
May the souls of those involved in this horrendous act forever burn in h***.

RIP Sweet Bath, look up Brandy and Tucker at the Bridge, they will see you have the joyous afterlife you missed out on Earth.

·
Goldens Rule in SW PA!
2,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all of the investigative work, folks. Soon after I posted the initial entry, I was out of town until very late last night.

I am still troubled about hanging the dog up--that's heinous in and of itself.

I hope they find the guilty quickly--I'll light a candle for Bath later today. We hugged our furkids extra special this weekend.

Thanks, Steve (and everyone else).

SJ

·
Super Moderator Leader
50,160 Posts
Bath

Bath needed to know there are humans that care about how he lived and mourn for the way he died.

Absolutely-this is so horrific, I can't understand how anyone could be so cruel!

In the area I live along the NC Coast, divers found a drowned dog. It had a rope tied around his neck, front and back legs, and was anchored down with bricks.

The local police department is investigating this case and asking for donations to Crime Stoppers to increase the reward money being offered for information leading to an arrest.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts