Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, a disclaimer...I am in no way, shape or form interested in breeding my dog to a poodle. My girl was recently spayed, I don't particularly like golden doodles, and I think that "designer dogs" are expensive mutts. I do have a couple friends with golden doodles and they love them dearly...good for them, but they're not for me.

Anyway, here is my question: Now that there are so many golden doodles and labradoodles, are breeders still breeding a golden with a poodle, or can they now take two golden doodles and breed them with each other? I'm merely asking out of curiosity.

The reason I thought about this question is because I had my Rosie out for a walk yesterday, and we passed by a house that has a young labradoodle. He's a nice enough dog...a little wild, but friendly. Anyway, this boy broke out of his yard and came to play with Rosie. They were wrestling and having a great time together, all the while I was trying to untangle him from Rosie's leash and lure him back to his yard. I finally got him to his front door, I rang the bell and waited for his owner to answer. As we're standing there, he tries to mount Rosie! I pushed him away, and eventually his owner opened the door, and we got him in his house. The whole episode made me feel so grateful that Rosie is spayed, and I don't have to worry about any accidental pregnancies. Then I started thinking about how her puppies would've been half golden retriever, half labradoodle...what a weird combo! Anyway, one thought led to another, and I started wondering if people are breeding golden doodles to each other.

Sorry to be so long-winded. I was actually a little scared to post this question, because I didn't want anyone to get the wrong idea and think that I am interested in breeding my dog to a doodle, a poodle, or even another golden! That is just so far out there, that I wouldn't want anyone to think that I would do that. Believe me, my kids were sad when Rosie got spayed, but the last thing I would want is to have a litter of puppies to raise! I'll leave that to the experts! ;)

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
They are. They're called like... F1 goldendoodles or something. "Second generation" doodles I think. Anyhow, I met one at Flora's daycare. I was like, "Oh, what a handsome golden!" because he to me he looked like a long legged, dark red golden, but his owner informed me that he was actually the product of two goldendoodles. Could've fooled me! His coat was a little shorter I guess, but not curly at all and he didn't have the face of a poodle that many goldendoodles seem to have.

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
I believe hybrids go by generation F1 through F4. If it is done properly these F4's are bred with other goldendoodles that are 4th generation or more. This is when they try to have the hybrid have more of a standard, so that they all look a like. Then after so many years, and the standard sticking with the standard, they can go to the AKC and eventually be recognized. - It is probably more complicating than that, but that is what I read of other hybrids that are now recognized breeds (shih tzus and himilayan cats).

·
Magica Goldens
1,363 Posts
The other thing is that the doodle "mounting" your girl may have been nothing but bad manners on the part of the other dog - he may very well have been fixed. It seems like an awful lot of doodle owners (particularly those that allow their animals to run at large) expect their dogs to come trained, or don't put any time into training and they quickly become unsocialized spoiled brat-dogs with zero manners and even less social skills...
Erica

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They are. They're called like... F1 goldendoodles or something. "Second generation" doodles I think. Anyhow, I met one at Flora's daycare. I was like, "Oh, what a handsome golden!" because he to me he looked like a long legged, dark red golden, but his owner informed me that he was actually the product of two goldendoodles. Could've fooled me! His coat was a little shorter I guess, but not curly at all and he didn't have the face of a poodle that many goldendoodles seem to have.
If someone wants a dog that looks like a golden retriever, maybe they should just get a golden retriever! :)

THere was a golden doodle in our puppy kindergarten class that looked exactly like a golden retriever to me. His fur looked a bit different, but other than that, he looked just like Rosie! Maybe he was an "F1." His owner told me that they bought a golden doodle because they wanted a non-shedding dog. I had to smirk to myself, because I've heard that golden doodles DO shed.

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
guy DH works with is going to get a goldendoodle because:

He had a golden for years (and knows they'r the best), his wife is 100% poodle person. They both agree on getting doodle (great!) - best reason I've heard for seeking one out. Of course, there's alot of hope that the golden attitude predominates

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
guy DH works with is going to get a goldendoodle because:

He had a golden for years (and knows they'r the best), his wife is 100% poodle person. They both agree on getting doodle (great!) - best reason I've heard for seeking one out. Of course, there's alot of hope that the golden attitude predominates
:doh: Oh my! Why not just get a golden & a poodle.

Reactions: Wilcoxal195
1 - 8 of 8 Posts