Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I have a beautiful golden named Oliver. He has a lot of energy and i have been taking him to this field next door where there is a lot of dust and dead plants. I take him there to throw the ball and have him do a lot of excersize. I noticed shortly after that he starting coughing a lot like he had a hair ball stuck in his throat. I gave him a lot of water and didn't think much of it. I continued taking him there for three days and he continued to cough. He is acting completely normal except for the coughing. it is not all day its super random that he coughs during the day. I am extremely worried and hope it is allergies!!!!!! I just lost his father to eating a rubber chew toy that got stuck in his small intestince. I am still very emotional of his loss and would not be able to handle another dog dying!!! please someone give me an opinion!

·
Kate
21,760 Posts
Did you take him in to the vet?

Something I was warned about by a friend who came and surveyed my garden... there are foxtails which I let grow out in the naturalized area (because I think they're pretty). She went on about how the seeds are very dangerous to dogs, because they can either inhale or swallow the seed and it can get lodged in the throat or nasal area and become infected and otherwise cause a lot of pain and discomfort.

Dogs can also develop major allergic reactions to inhaling dust, or dried seeds from plants other than foxtail. So it's a good thing to check out with a vet.

·
Knife Swallower
6,783 Posts
I'd take him in to the vet for his coughing as too much can sometimes lead to scar tissue. I know in the fall my horse starts coughing real bad coughs - like belly deep coughs. The first year he did it, the vet started him with antibiotics in case it was an infection, then eventually switched to steroids. It happens for only 2 weeks of the year but I can't stand to hear him cough the way he does so I get the meds to take care of it ASAP. Especially since, like I said earlier, it can lead to scar tissue on the lungs.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts