Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Golden cocker retriever?

4K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  HiTideGoldens 
#1 ·
The Golden Cocker Retriever is a mixed dog breed, a combination between a Golden Retriever and a Cocker Spaniel. The resulting hybrid dog takes characteristics from both the father and the mother.

Since this is a mixed breed dog, the dog will have some of the characteristics of the Golden Retriever and some from the Cocker Spaniel. You might have a dog that looks mostly like a Golden Retriever, but with the drive and temperament of a Cocker Spaniel, or it could be the other way around.

The usual Golden Cocker Retriever is a dog that is around 16 inches tall, so not as large as the Golden Retriever is, though there are always exceptions. These dogs can be incredibly easy to train, so even a beginner can do it. They love to learn and to please their human friends.
Here's a picture of it:
Here's a fully-grown Golden Cocker Retriever. Forever a puppy - Imgur

Forever a puppy? What's your opinion on it?

#10 ·
Also known as 'comfort retrievers' - it is all marketing folks....
Regardless of what you call them, they are still mixed breed dogs that some people will pay a boatload of money to own....

Reactions: Tahnee GR
#15 ·
This is the same dog as an adult. This is just a mix breed dog that the greeders are producing to make money off of.

#16 ·
My real concern with "designer breeds" is that reputable breeders probably wouldn't knowingly provide a well-bred, breeding-quality dog (with health clearances, high quality pedigree, breed conformation, etc) to a breeder of the "designer breed."

So, where is the designer breeder getting the dogs to breed? Either, the parent dogs are not particularly appropriate for breeding, or the breeder deceived the breeder from whom they got the parent dogs to breed.

If the dogs being bred are not appropriate for breeding, then the designer breeder is taking breeds that are prone to particular health issues and exacerbating them by willfully bypassing pre-conditions for breeding.

I just don't see how it can be done ethically...and I don't even consider myself too much of a purist.

#17 ·
I love mixed breeds and pure bred dogs alike, however, I think there are enough mixed breed dogs in shelters waiting for homes, so I don't support anyone intentionally creating more poorly bred mixed breed dogs. And I agree, reputable breeders of goldens and cockers would never knowingly sell dogs to people who are going to be intentionally creating mixed breed dogs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.