Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently came across a breeder near me(relatively as I’m in Alaska). They seem to do all health clearances but I found that they stud their male out to breeders to breed golden doodles😬

But this person is still considered to be reputable??? I don’t see how allowing your stud to mate with other breeds would be okay at all! Not to mention that the dogs I have seen this said male, bred to, do NOT have all the health tests for their own breed or their breed mix. I guess this is something to talk about As it could be useful to puppy buyers later on?

not sure if I should share this breeders name as I don’t want drama between us— other breeders up here back this person up but I’m not sure they know…

·
Registered
Finn
250 Posts
IMO, if someone truly loved the breed they wouldn't use their dogs to mix the breed (if that makes sense). I personally wouldn't buy from that breeder if I knew that. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
IMO, if someone truly loved the breed they wouldn't use their dogs to mix the breed (if that makes sense). I personally wouldn't buy from that breeder if I knew that. Just my 2 cents.
I’m not buying haha! I am a (soon to be) breeder myself(hopefully in the future if my girl passes anyways lol) I just came across this when looking at dog pages near me:)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is a huge nope.
Glad people agree. I almost posted about doodle breeders and golden breeders doing this exact thing making it worse by doing this on our “reputable breeder” page in alaska but decided against it… I hate drama😖

·
Registered
Finn
250 Posts
I’m not buying haha! I am a (soon to be) breeder myself(hopefully in the future if my girl passes anyways lol) I just came across this when looking at dog pages near me:)
Oh yeah, I knew that! (I'm not stalking you, I've just seen your posts on other threads and pieced it together lol) Sorry if I worded it poorly- I meant to say that if I was puppy shopping, I wouldn't buy a dog from them regardless of clearances because of that.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh yeah, I knew that! (I'm not stalking you, I've just seen your posts on other threads and pieced it together lol) Sorry if I worded it poorly- I meant to say that if I was puppy shopping, I wouldn't buy a dog from them regardless of clearances because of that.
You’re totally fine!!! And I JUST came across your stacking thread haha! Small world!😆🤍

·
Registered
484 Posts
They seem to do all health clearances but I found that they stud their male out to breeders to breed golden doodles😬

But this person is still considered to be reputable???
Absolutely not. From the GRCA website:
"The Golden Retriever Club of America is opposed to cross-breeding of dogs and is particularly opposed to the deliberate crossing of Golden Retrievers with any other breed.... We do not condone actions such as the deliberate production of litters from two different AKC recognized breeds of dogs, which does not maintain the separate purpose and integrity of each breed. We speak for the Golden Retriever. We expect our breeders to demonstrate honesty, integrity, and fairness in dealing with other owners, breeders, purchasers of puppies and the general public. We feel that the deliberate production of “Golden Doodles” profoundly violates that trust."

·
Super Moderator
1,430 Posts
Who is the breeder?

·
Registered
13,522 Posts
I would love to have the owner of the stud explain their motivation for doing this. They know what is best for the breed, they do the health clearances, they have only studded out previously to other reputable breeders. So why this now?

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
You wouldn't catch me doing that....

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Absolutely not. From the GRCA website:
"The Golden Retriever Club of America is opposed to cross-breeding of dogs and is particularly opposed to the deliberate crossing of Golden Retrievers with any other breed.... We do not condone actions such as the deliberate production of litters from two different AKC recognized breeds of dogs, which does not maintain the separate purpose and integrity of each breed. We speak for the Golden Retriever. We expect our breeders to demonstrate honesty, integrity, and fairness in dealing with other owners, breeders, purchasers of puppies and the general public. We feel that the deliberate production of “Golden Doodles” profoundly violates that trust."
Ahhhh thank you!!! This is exactly what I wanted to find! I might send it to some people around me who consistently say she is a reputable person to get a puppy from.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You wouldn't catch me doing that....
I don’t anybody that’s reputable would be caught doing this😆

the worst part is that they seem to try to hide it. I only found it because of my “whose ruining our breed this week” episode Of looking at golden doodle breeders who KEEP POPPING UP on Facebook and on google🙄

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I would love to have the owner of the stud explain their motivation for doing this. They know what is best for the breed, they do the health clearances, they have only studded out previously to other reputable breeders. So why this now?
MY THOUGHTS EXACTLY

Although it seems they did this from the very beginning. The stud actually doesn’t have his clearences up until 40 months I believe when I looked at his OFA clearences. I’m not sure what she was doing during that time of no clearences. She started breeding in 2014 after an “accidental pet pregnancy”🤷‍♀️

·
Registered
9,587 Posts
So how are you going to handle this ' if my girl passes' component, since Luna has come in season Oct 8, after breeding her in August when she apparently had a split season to give you time to do the right thing? There appear to be full list of puppy people list w deposits on her litter? I'm not sure if you are Madison or her mother, or if both of you comment here as Maddie_goldens, but the minimal DNA testing on these dogs with no clearances whatever is troublesome. ESPECIALLY since whichever of you it is here DO know better. Even if you didn't know better originally, you have been educated now. Child/Parent breeding programs are best accomplished w 4H/rabbits, not dogs.

·
Super Moderator
1,430 Posts
This thread has been closed at the request of OP.

Reactions: CAROLINA MOM
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.