Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am looking to add a golden to our family sometime this year - I saw a few discussions regarding MN/WI Breeders back in 2015/16 and wanted to ensure the info was not out of date as we are looking to purchase from a reputable breeder. I saw reviews and warnings about Muddy Goldens from a few years ago and am wondering if they are still having issues with ethics. If anyone has recommendations, please let me know!

·
Kristy
9,838 Posts
Do you have registered names for the dogs that are parents of the litter you're looking at? It looks like "Maggie" doesn't have a cardiologist heart clearance which is really disappointing.

I will say that WI and MN especially have way too many terrific Golden breeders to settle for a crummy breeder. You want a breeder who has a long track record of doing things the right way breeding and raising puppies and not cutting corners to save money.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is a deal-killer. THey spent a ton of money getting clearances done and didn't bother to do the right thing on the heart with a cardiologist? Ugh.
Apologies for my lack on knowledge on this but what is the benefit beyond the practitioner if the OFA accepts both certifications, just trying to be informed!

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
A practitioner clearance means that just a regular vet listened to the heart and cleared it. A cardiologist is what's recommended by the GRCA because they are trained specifically to evaluate hearts. OFA is actually moving away from practitioner heart exams. The newer advanced cardiac exams can only be performed by cardiologists.

·
Registered
10,526 Posts
A practitioner clearance means that just a regular vet listened to the heart and cleared it. A cardiologist is what's recommended by the GRCA because they are trained specifically to evaluate hearts. OFA is actually moving away from practitioner heart exams. The newer advanced cardiac exams can only be performed by cardiologists.
And this is important because SAS (subvalvular aortic stenosis) is an inherited disease within the Golden Retriever Breed. SAS can vary in severity and the milder murmurs might not be heard by a practitioner without additional training and even a more sensitive stethoscope.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts