Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone im new to this so hope this hasent anooyed everybody as it was asked counteless times before.

Well anyways i got my golden retriver last week, He is 12 weeks old and as of then he has been very quiet.

I dont no if this is right as i was expecting him to be exstremly hyper.
His breeders said he comes from a great line of good temperment goldens which is great but i still feel real werid that the puppy is so well behaved.

He will only do his business when you put newspaper outside for him and has not done it in his bed yet.

Im still wondering when his love for biting things will happen as of now he rarely chews on anything.

And last when i bring him outside he gets a bit scared but as long as i stay just a few feet away from him he feels ok.

if i am to walk away from him he runs after me and starts to cry .

well hope someone can explain if this is ok behavoiur and will it be at a later stage when he begins to bite everything and anything he gets his sights on??

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
Don't worry. He'll be a little scared and quiet as he gets used to his new surroundings, but by 14-15 weeks, you should have a complete saber-toothed monster. Right now he's in a developmental stage that makes him more likely to focus on you and to be afraid of new things. It's a great time to work on recall ("come!") and some other puppy basics.

And welcome to the forum! Please post some pictures of your boy when you have a chance so everyone can ooh and ahh.

·
Registered
21,134 Posts
You have a lovely boy with a perfectly correct temperament for a well bred golden. You could be describing my boy exactly when he first came home, except he was never afraid of anything. And he never went through a wild, hyper stage. He's almost 2, and still very calm and mellow. He was housetrained from the third day he came home, and hasn't had an accident since. He never, ever barks, and he never really chewed anything except for what we gave him. Enjoy your puppy! Post some pictures for us!

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
Your puppy sounds perfectly normal to me. Don't worry the nibbling will start soon enough. We would love to see some pictures of your little one though.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Hello and welcome!

I have a dog at the moment who was just as you describe, quiet, timid outside etc. It could be that if he/she left her littermates at 10 weeks, he/she is missing them, and it may take a little longer for her to settle in with you? With Izzie, I used to sit in the front garden on a box never forcing her to come outside. She would sit in the porch with her head peering around the corner. I would play with her toys ignoring her. She eventually came out of her own accord, and when the time came for her to go outside the gate, she went out and never looked back. Just remember, never give affection when she's feeling nervous, it makes the problem much worse. Much better to ignore and let them see its nothing to be scared of. Be a good 'leader'.

I would be very happy to have a puppy who was so easy to housetrain... thank your lucky stars.

And she might never be a chewer... thank your lucky stars for that too if that's the case!!!

My Izzie has never chewed, is an immaculate well-behaved house dog, but get her outside and she turns into a dynamic, energetic and vibrant young dog she is. I say she is exactly what I would want out of a puppy!!

Obi on the other hand...... nightmare puppy from day one... chewed/bit/barked/humped/ran amok - now he's perfect but for a while there...

As long as there isn't a health issue, enjoy your pup for what she is... probably pretty perfect......

·
Bailey Boy's Pop
410 Posts
I hope you didn't jinx yourself, LoL. You should be happy the pup is like that...my little guy was hard to housebreak, liked to chew etc....you are lucky...

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
When Harry first came home I was prepared for a tiny terror. Instead, he was quiet, well-mannered, and only went potty outside. He snuggled up to me for lots of hugs and he liked to play with his toys. Not at all what I expected--oh lucky me!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the replys has me a bit more at ease :)

Il post a pic up as soon as i take one for all to see

thanks for the comments

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Sounds great to me.
Tessie is very similar in that she was always kind of quiet and calm and not at all destructive. (Although she was a bit bitey at 12-13 weeks. )
She's not at all afraid, though.
You might try helping Trig through his separation anxiety by just leaving for a few minutes in a calm and matter of fact way and then coming back.
It's important for a dog to learn to be content when alone, too.
I'd also make it a point to expose him to as many new things as possible. The trainer Ian Dunbar suggests meeting 100 people and walking on 12 surfaces by 12 weeks.
Tessie did that and she's really just about fearless, and takes meeting new people or dogs completely in stride.
good luck and keep us updated
allen

1 - 12 of 12 Posts