Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.

Luna is 11 weeks now and we are wondering whether we should allow her on the couch/sofa. Would it help calm her down a little?!

How have you found their behaviour/temperament if you have or haven't?

Why did you make the decision you did?

Many thanks

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,630 Posts
My dogs are allowed on the furniture and are taught to get off when we ask them. It has no effect on their temperament, and it doesn't calm them down.

I didn't really make a decision. They just went on the furniture, and that was it!! But I'm happy to let them sleep on a chair or couch if they want to. They work hard for me and deserve a bit of comfort!

However, if ever one of them protested (growls, snaps) when asked to get off, you can be very sure he would not be allowed up there again.

·
Maegan
430 Posts
It's really up to you. I am a dog on the furniture person and my husband is not, so Rocket learned that he can only get on the couch when given permission and he will get down when I ask him. Sometimes I get the puppy eyes first, but he will still get down. He still gets on the couch when we aren't home, but he generally just takes naps up there and doesn't bring any toys up or anything.

·
Registered
115 Posts
We always allowed our golden on the furniture without any issues. As others said, she will get down when told. When we brought a German shepherd puppy home, we decided that a GSD and a golden would be too much hair on the couches, so they were no longer allowed up. The bed was still fair game. The golden did not have a hard time transitioning to the couch-free rule. So, if later down the road you decide to stop letting your dog on the couches, it won't be the end of the world. Just be sure to be consistent so she understands what is expected of her.

·
Puddles
3,399 Posts
What a precious picture! I'm also one of those people that allowed the pup on the sofa. My older golden never has liked the sofa but Sipsy wanted up there from day one. Anytime I sit on the sofa she thinks it's her job to lay across me (not enough lap) and certainly doesn't want the cats to occupy her spot! I actually miss her when she isn't up there with me. She doesn't get on the sofa if I'm not on it... go figure!
But this is a personal decision, I don't mind the hair on the sofa. Shoot I'm already running the vacuum, it's just one more surface to cover. She sleeps on the bed with me too so guess I'm just a lost cause! Golden cuddles all the way.

·
Golden Ret Enthusiast
1,505 Posts
It's a preference. My dogs have all learned that they are only allowed on a sofa/couch if there is a cover on it and correct them for jumping on an uncovered couch. Never really trained them but I only allowed my dogs on the couch with a throw/cover/blanket on it. I have one that is covered and one that isn't. When I visit my mom at her house my dogs have just waited on their own for a cover to placed on the couch before hoping up. Even moaning with their heads on the couch until covered. I didn't train for it just happened and my new pup is the same way at this point (6 Months old).

At the age you're talking about having them up on the couch with me was more about bonding/keeping an eye on them when not gated in the kitchen. It only calmed her down in the sense they are with me and not feeling left in the other room whining and carrying on wanting to be near me.

You just have to be consistent and dogs learn/fall in line in most cases.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Oh my goodness, she is adorable. My Luna is 13 weeks and is allowed on the couch but not our bed. I do think her couch time with me helps her settle down in the evening because she's near me so she isn't quite so intent on getting my attention and direct interaction.

·
Registered
459 Posts
At our house we have a no dogs on the furniture or bed rule, mostly as an attempt to have at keast a few hair-free areas in the house. My husband would occasionally break the rule by holding a dog very carefully on his lap ensuring that no part of the dog came into contact with the furniture. "See, he's not on the couch. He's on me." I get down on the floor for snuggles a few times a day.

·
Registered
601 Posts
We have always been a no pets on the couch family. Bentley sleeps in his kennel over night but our Bella (Bulldog) sleeps in our room on her bed beside me on the floor. The no couch rule has been tough for Bentley to follow. I think we have to be more consistent. But he’s so cute! It’s hard to say no!

B38D650B-68E9-4E5F-B8BF-E60870AAD704.jpeg

D5794E4C-C026-4919-A6BF-32D264A46D38.jpeg

33F25B83-677E-4239-90CD-CCC8AEA1D099.jpeg

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
They are on the couch most of the day. I do keep a cover on it. Just be careful about not letting her jump off the couch while she's so little.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator Leader
45,739 Posts
Luna is so adorable, what a great picture.

I'm another person that allows their dog on the furniture, I always have even after I got new furniture years ago. I have blankets down for my boy, he's good about getting down if I ask him, he's always been real good about that.

Ultimately it's up to you.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Piper's allowed on the furniture. She loves being on the couch when I'm up there...preferably as close to me as physically possible :) But I taught her "off" when she was a puppy, and she's only allowed up when invited. She's happy to be on the floor if she's not up on the couch. She doesn't really get on the couch otherwise--but my bed is definitely her "dog" bed. She brings every toy she has to my bed, and likes to chew her bones there too haha.

·
Premium Member
1,444 Posts
Allowed yes, but not encouraged to go on the "good" couch. I'm not sure if it's instinctual, but in the past I've had two intact males that absolutely ruined my fabric sofa just from their rubbing up against the front of it constantly. The body oils stained the supposedly "scotch guarded" fabric so badly I was embarrassed to have company over. From now on I'll probably choose some sort of leather. They share the bed with us but Zoey is unable or unwilling to jump up there all the way. My wife has a "thing" for changing comforters quite often so it's not an issue.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Our initial plan was no puppy on the couch or bed. The bed was easy since Cooper was confined to the living room but we really had to work on "off" with the couch.

Anyway he broke me by climbing up one day and putting his little head in my lap and closing his eyes (so clever 🙂) And that was that. He's now allowed on the couch but we practice "off" often to make sure hes ok sleeping at our feet too (he is) for when we have guests over or are eating something while on the couch etc. He's pretty good at doing what we say and if we're not paying him attention on the couch he'll jump off and sit right at my feet where he's guaranteed pets

I'm glad we taught him to be fine on the floor and a good "off" before we he was allowed on the couch.

He's also allowed on the bed but only goes in when we are there. He jumps up when he's let out of his crate to snuggle in the mornings and that's really nice since he's only a snuggly dog in the morning. Rest of the day = crazy pup 🙂

·
Super Moderator
1,169 Posts
If we allowed Oscar on the furniture we would be sitting in mud! He is quite a mess after walks. He does have three beds however, which he seems quite content with.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Our dogs have always been of our furniture, that's why I always buy Leather. I love when Murphy gets up on the couch next to me and cuddles :).

·
Registered
134 Posts
What a precious picture! .
I agree!
I've not been a dog on the furniture person. My previous dogs were Jack Russells and their little white hair would cover everything. When my girlfriend came along, she just thought it was horrible that the dogs weren't allowed anywhere we were. I compromised and she bought a big bean-bag chair that was Emma's chair. Much to my surprise, she loved it! She'd sit in her chair and watch tv, when we did. I have an over-sized recliner that I was going to reserve as Scout's. That lasted until Scout was able to get on the couch by herself!
I guess I'm now a dog on the furniture person! :grin2:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts