Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
good afternoon!

My husband and I have been looking for a golden retriever puppy to adopt in our area (NJ), and we found Gold-Rush Goldens in Princeton, NJ. They seemed great, and fortunately have puppies available in a good time frame. The woman I have spoke with is extremely nice and helpful, and it seems like a lot of people have posted about how amazing/reliable/passionate/health conscious this breeder is. Unfortunately, right after we scheduled a day to meet the litter my husband found a forum online saying that the breeder at Gold-Rush Goldens had knowingly used mother's with hip problems. Has anyone had experience with this breeder?

thanks in advance

·
Super Moderator
589 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Did the breeder provide you with the registered names of both dam and sire for the litter you would 'hypothetically' be getting a puppy from? You should be able to verify that they have all of the health clearances as stated in the code of ethics (hips, elbows, eyes, heart). Experienced members of this forum could help you out by looking at the pedigree and OFA clearances to determine whether or not you are dealing with an ethical breeder.

·
Puddles
3,329 Posts
They seem to have a long history but... even on their "news" page the last date of accomplishments stops in 2015. Lots of breeders don't maintain current information on web sites as they have been around so long, it's not really needed from the stand point of bring in puppy buyers.
Like Emma says you will need to provide the info. on sire & dam to look up health clearances as I couldn't find any information on their site as to who they bred or why. I have read lots of information about heavy cancer in their lines with early deaths but I have no idea how much is fact or fiction. They do have beautiful dogs and it would be hard to find any goldens that don't have Gold Rush dogs in their history... back in the 1980's anyway.
My preference is a breeder that is more transparent with who they are breeding, k9data links offered on the breeding pair which will also link it back to the OFA postings but that's just me. I also wonder about a breeder that began back in the 60's, do they still do anything with their dogs other than make puppies?

I have another question for you... your post suggest this is your 1st golden. I personally think they are wonderful but have you educated yourself enough to know if this is the right breed for your lifestyle? Golden puppies can be a real challenge, more work than many breeds. They require a great deal of time and continued training and exercise commitments. Those wonderful dogs you see in the movies didn't start out that way. So cruz through the forum and learn from the "stickies" about some of the many issues people have... make sure this is the breed for you.

·
Registered
6,496 Posts
this is a big operation- not a hobby breeder but a kennel sized breeding program.

There is an office manager, kennel help, lots of employees, so finding out which sire and which dam are parents of the litter you hypothetically would be getting a pup from is the most important piece... don't go see puppies until you know this, and they are all good- otherwise you will commit whether they are a safe pair or not.
Ethically, it is absolutely wrong to breed animals with known anything problems, not just hips. But Ann Johnson is not a GRCA member.

·
Golden Ret Enthusiast
1,481 Posts
If it's the original people and original lines from 20 years ago, they were not considered very reputable. They were a profit breeder, not breeding for the health and betterment of the breed then. I personally wouldn't consider a line that bred out to a Gold Rush line.

Just make sure you do all clearness 3 or 4 generations back. And look at siblings as well.

·
Grumpy Old Man
4,510 Posts
Gold Rush has been around a lot longer than twenty years. In that time they have been involved with producing some nice dogs and they have produced their share of clunkers too.

My opinion is such that I do not and will not have any dogs in my line that are of Gold Rush lineage.

·
Kate
20,614 Posts
My Jacks had Gold Rush behind him. His maternal grandmother came from Gold Rush. Both her parents were champions, and almost every dog behind them were champions or bred to champions.

Now.

One thing I've observed is that Gold Rush shows up in many different pedigrees - which means that she will sell dogs to any breeders out there. Or she did in the past. Which is the polar opposite of what other breeders do when they completely limit who gets breeding rights on puppies from them.

Jacks did die of cancer... however, my gut feeling tells me that there were environmental causes which triggered the cancer (lymphoma).

Other thing to be wary of is a lot of different lines out there DO have higher than normal issues with cancer. Particularly cancers like lymphoma. Performance lines are hard hit in those areas just as much as show lines.

It's worth looking at the pedigrees and asking the breeder questions.

·
Golden Ret Enthusiast
1,481 Posts
I know Gold Rush has been around way more then 20 years. I'm talking about it was 20 years ago that I was hearing and reading about the issues they had and how they were really just a breeding for profit operation.

·
Super Moderator
3,542 Posts
Gold Rush has been around for a long time. I had heard of them from way back when I started. My advice is to ask around, find out who has had Gold Rush dogs to get info on them.

·
Registered
7,310 Posts
I’ve been hesitant responding to this thread but this is my experience with Gold Rush. I live in NJ and can tell you there are A LOT of Gold Rush dogs out there. I have had a Gold Rush dog and have friends who have/had Gold Rush dogs. There is no doubt they are beautiful dogs. BUT in my experience it does seem like a disproportionate amount of Gold Rush dogs die of cancer at young ages, including mine. Maybe it just seems that way because there are so many out there???

Also, I’m glad you had a nice experience with the person you spoke to but that was not my experience 3 years ago. I called to inform (not blame) them of my dog dying of cancer and the person I spoke with was horrible (I could be wrong because it was 3 years ago but I think her name was Kim??). She never asked who was my dogs dam/sire, what type of cancer it was or how old my dog was! Her response was “yeah goldens die of cancer” and then “I have a few available puppies if you want to replace your dog”. Please be careful and do your due diligence. I can tell you I will never get another Gold Rush dog.

Good luck in your puppy search.

·
Registered
7,310 Posts
the person I spoke with was horrible (I could be wrong because it was 3 years ago but I think her name was Kim??)
Ok I was wrong ........ it wasn’t Kim I’m almost positive it was Amy!!! I knew it was a 3 letter name :surprise: Sorry to all the Kims out there.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Gold Rush

My last Golden Retriever, Ava, was purchased from Gold Rush kennels. She was the most beautiful, kind and intelligent dog I've ever owned. She unfortunately passed away at 10 years old from Lymphoma, but was completely healthy before that illness. The retriever I owned prior to Ava was from a kennel in Louisiana. She was also a wonderful dog, but passed away at 9 years old. My research tells me that Retrievers have an average life span of about ten years no matter who breeds them, and this is the only down side of owning a Retriever. Well, maybe the shedding is a downside too, but not a big one, when compared to the great joy a Golden will bring into your home. My advice is to try to find one from a reputable breeder, who checks their breeding dogs' hips and eyes. I would take another puppy from Gold Rush anytime if its anything like the previous one I had from them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts