Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we are staying right next to a cemetery, that is dog friendly/ a place that your dog is allowed off leash, pretty much a dog park. but it is still a cemetery. i feel bad thinking that Roxy will be doing her buisness on a grave. if it was one of our graves i would understand, BUT.....

·
They get it
4,446 Posts
Aaaa, okay, that is kinda strange. That would freak me out I think.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Me too I have to say, a bit strange! I have never heard of anywhere where they make a dog park out of a cemetery. Seems so disrespectful somehow????

·
Humankind. Be both.
7,650 Posts
Can you get her to pee before you actually enter the grounds to reduce the amount of pee time spent on top of someone's final resting place?

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Do you know the name of the dog park? I only know of one dog park in Savannah on 41st and Drayton. Is it one of the big parks that they say is a common burial ground but no markers? I love some of the downtown bed and breakfasts and always wanted to stay at the Galloway House.

Yall have fun and eat some good food.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Oh it is definitely so strange.

·
Chester & Murphy's Mom
7,464 Posts
If a dog is peeing on me after I am dead...No big deal. Now if I was still alive I might have something to say!

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
I guess it's no different than squirrels, chipmunks, deer or birds. I believe I would redirect them if they were going to pooping where visitors might stand though.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Do you know the name of the dog park? I only know of one dog park in Savannah on 41st and Drayton. Is it one of the big parks that they say is a common burial ground but no markers? I love some of the downtown bed and breakfasts and always wanted to stay at the Galloway House.

Yall have fun and eat some good food.
This is Google's cache of http://www.ourcoast.com/savannahcityguide/visiting/tours/savannah/colonial.shtml. It is a snapshot of the page as it appeared on Nov 15, 2009 13:32:22 GMT. The current page could have changed in the meantime. Learn more

Text-only version
These search terms are highlighted: colonial park cemetery savannah dog These terms only appear in links pointing to this page: walking

<DIV style="POSITION: relative">

NAVIGATION

WEATHER

Select Airlines New Cars Used Cars Banks Books Churches Cleaners Dentists Florists Furniture Grocers Hospitals Hotels Insurance Jewelers Lawyers Locks Movers Physicians Plumbers Printers Dining Schools Travel

Savannah, GA
&
The Lowcountry

OurCoast.com is brought to you by
Your source for news, sports and classifieds.

Our Coast :: Savannah City Guide :: Visiting
November 15, 2009 08:32 AM

Online Virtual Tour of Savannah

Colonial Park Cemetery

Courtesy Best Read Guide

Colonial Cemetery, located at the corner of Oglethorpe and Abercorn streets, is Savannah's oldest city burial ground and contains monuments to some of the colony's most notable figures. Among those buried there are two of Georgia's early heroes, Button Gwinnett, one of the three Georgia signatories to the Declaration of Independence, and General Lachlan McIntosh, whose interests crossed Gwinnett's with fatal consequences during the American Revolution.

A dispute arose between the two men concerning the abortive Georgian invasion of Florida in 1777, which was an attempt to wrest the colony from the English while their attention was diverted by the American uprising. Gwinnett designed a plan for the Georgia militia to move south, surprise the English and take Florida. However, Gwinnett's plan was flawed and resulted in the militia's commanders, including General McIntosh, losing themselves in south Georgia swampland.

When the mission failed, Gwinnett and McIntosh were brought before a tribunal to offer their accounts of the disappointing and embarrassing events. In the end, Gwinnett won a modest vote of confidence from the tribunal, which dealt rather more harshly with the general.

McIntosh responded with heated words that included unpardonable insults and the code duello was invoked. The exchange is believed to have taken place in the city dueling grounds, propitiously located behind Colonial Cemetery. At a distance of approximately one dozen feet, the men faced each other and fired. Each shot struck its target in the thigh and Gwinnett fell, though he was game enough to offer another round. However, their seconds ended the duel and Gwinnett was removed for treatment. The wound was severe, however, and he died within three days.

McIntosh was brought to trial for murder, but was acquitted of the charge, as the dispute was freely entered by Gwinnett, a fact substantiated by Mrs. Gwinnett, who refused to condemn McIntosh for her husband's death.

Nevertheless, public feeling ran strongly against the general, who subsequently headed north for a command under George Washington. He redeemed his reputation by leading troops at the Battle of Savannah in 1779 to lift the English siege of the city and, in his later years, became one of the city's most esteemed citizens.

The two combatants are buried near each other in Colonial Cemetery, which today is a public park and the only place in the Historic District where you may walk your dog without a leash.

Many thanks to Barbara Hines and Preston Russell, whose book Savannah: A History of Her People Since 1733 can be found in stores throughout the Historic District.

Franklin Square
Johnson Square
Reynolds Square
Warren Square
Washington Square
Greene Square
Columbia Square
Oglethorpe Square
Wright Square
Telfair Square
Orleans Square
Chippewa Square
Colonial Park Cemetary
Troup Square
Lafayette Square
Madison Square
Pulaski Square
Monterey Square
Calhoun Square
Whitefield Square

Index of Tour

EVENTS CALENDAR
September
SMTWTFS

<FONT face="">

click on date

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
sorry Carol not goood at the cut and paste or is it copy and paste, i dont know. but i guess Roxy has a park to walk in right across the street from where we are staying. i want to go to the Bonaventure cemetery, garden of good and evil, J and my sis wont go on a ghost tour, think it will be my BIL, Roxy and I.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
I love going to old cemeterys. Ghost tours are cool. I love going on them. Have fun and take lots of pictures. And you have to share them with me.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I love going to old cemeterys. Ghost tours are cool. I love going on them. Have fun and take lots of pictures. And you have to share them with me.
i think on the way to savannah, i will be in your neck of the woods. i will push out J and you jump in. you would get so many Roxy kisses. and we could do the ghost tours. i have a coupon for the haunted pub crawl

1 - 13 of 13 Posts