Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
New golden owner
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today is the day Winchester gets to come home. We should be home around 11. I'm going to introduce him to his crate and food area. His potty area. And start working on his name. I figure I'll do this for a few days and then start training lots

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
Congratulations! What an exciting day. Be sure to keep that camera handy... you'll be able to practically watch him grow!

·
New golden owner
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We are home. He's shy right now. Just wants to hang on my lap. Bout to try to go potty. He won't take a treat yet. He's missing his family I think. I'll be home with him all day so maybe he will warm quickly. One thing is he was born on 11-2. He is already 15.6 lbs. is this normal?

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Don't be surprised if he eats little or nothing for a few days, it's a big adjustment period. One of my female pups was 14+ at 8 weeks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
We are home. He's shy right now. Just wants to hang on my lap. Bout to try to go potty. He won't take a treat yet. He's missing his family I think. I'll be home with him all day so maybe he will warm quickly. One thing is he was born on 11-2. He is already 15.6 lbs. is this normal?
Take a look at this growth chart. I wouldn't take everything at face value when it comes to sizes/shapes of Golden's. At 8 weeks my puppy was 6 pounds. Now at 10 weeks, it's probably close to 11 pounds. Need to get a scale. 15 pounds sounds above average, but still healthy.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Our puppy weighted over 12lbs when we brought him home and he wasn't even the biggest pup of the litter! I think he sounds perfect :D It will all even out in the end :] Good luck!!

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
We thought our pup would be huge. He was 12.5 lbs at 9 weeks. But his growth has leveled off and he's now smack dab in the middle growth range. He's now 55 lbs. at 6 months. My vet said that might happen--they have growth spurts and then it levels off.

Put something tasty on your fingers--peanut butter is good--and let him lick it off. Have fun--post some pictures!

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Winchester

I am so excited for you!! Can't wait to hear about Winchester!

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
Congratulations on bringing home your new pup! Can't wait to see pictures.

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
He is so sweet. Congrats.

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
What a living doll he is. Welcome and can't wait to hear your stories (there will be many) as he grows.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts