Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
for 7 years now ( i'm 17 now ), i've wanted a golden, i couldn't get one earlier because of my asthma, but now i don't have it anymore, so i'm considering getting it, i had a whole folder on what to look for and etc, but its lost somewhere now so i need your help!!

So glad i found this forum;

How much would the cost be yearly/monthly for a golden? Including everything, assuming a normal life style for the golden.

What equipment do i need before i go ahead and buy a golden, i don't have a big yard.

Id like a redish coated golden, are these rare? and should i not be getting them?

thanks!!

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
I have to ask - are you planning on going to college? If so, what will you do with your dog while you're there? Are your parents agreeable to taking care of your dog while you're away at school?

Of course, college may not be in your future, in which case things are different.

As for costs... Well, if you get your puppy from a reputable breeder plan on spending around 700-1500 dollars just for the puppy. The cost varies regionally.

Food, say you spend $30-40 a bag and buy 1 bag a month. That's between $400-500 in food yearly.

Vet expenses are so variable. I spent over $3000 on my dog the first year I had her, but she had a problem that required xrays and surgery, and she also had multiple UTIs. I don't know what typical puppy vet expenses are.

Honestly, at your age, I would really think HARD about getting a puppy. An adult dog might be a better choice. You are just starting to enter into the adult world and you have so many new experiences awaiting you. I got Flora when I was 23 and while I don't regret it and I wouldn't change a thing, having her in my life has changed a LOT of things for me. Some good, some bad. It's a huge responsibility. But if you're up for it, it is a wonderful experience. :)

·
Banned
616 Posts
I agree. I got my male at 17 although my parents are very invested in dogs as well, so it was not really a big deal. But it has been difficult going to school and being away from him for the first two years of school. I went home on weekends, but I still missed him a lot. Now my boyfriend has sam in an off campus house, and we share responsibilities and it works out the best for Sam.

I would say for the first year; vet bills+flea/tick prevent+heartworm preventatives+micro chip+puppy class+obedience class+food+crate+toys+treats+bed+grooming supplies+fence(most breeders require a fence)= $2000.00

Initial cost of a puppy in the north east; $1200-$1800
Although it does vary, I think its good to over estimate, because things come up that you are not expecting and could cost 1k more, you never know. Vets are very expensive, if you have to go to the E-vet, just hand over your check book. For instances; my boy had a nail ripped out at the groomers, and the vet bill added up to over $600, which is such a minor thing.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks so much for answering,

I'm currently home schooled, and i feel as if a golden could really help me out, i really need someone to talk to, that won't judge me.

I do play on working / going to college soon, so i'll have to think ahead for that
we're also planning on moving to another house in 5-8 months

If everything goes well, would it be best to reserve a puppy from a breeder now?
Id like to have a puppy when we move to the new house, and i hear that it takes 6-8 months for the puppy to become available.

I know in my heart this is the right choice, even though so many people told me its a huge responsibility.

Id also like a puppy and not a adult, because id like to be with him through everything.

again thanks for the responses!

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
You absolutely need to make sure that your parents are on board with this. When you go to college generally you have to live in a dorm for the first year (that is, unless you're considering a community college), and dogs are not allowed. Your parents would have to take care of your dog then.

And when you finally become old enough to live off campus, even then, it's REALLY hard sometimes managing school and a dog. I have had to sacrifice a lot of social opportunities because I have a dog. I've had to put down a lot of extra money because I have a dog (pet deposits, boarding when I have to go out of town for school, etc.). I realize this sounds like I'm complaining about it and I'm not, I love my Flora to death.

I know I sound like a Debbie Downer but I have seen first hand the poor neglected dogs who belong to people who got them right before college or during college and then realized that they didn't have enough time for their pet. Sometimes it's hard to overlook the "I want!" part of wanting a dog, but it's really important that you focus on the welfare of any future pet you may have.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts