Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 8 month old golden named Paisley. She is a really good dog, and normally doesn't stray far. I am going to a friends lake house this weekend, and I know she will enjoy the outdoors/lake/and company, but I am afraid of not being able to keep a close eye on her at all times while out for a swim or other potential distractions. If she wanders at home she can find her way back. I am not so confident when she is in an area unfamiliar to her.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a tether/lead set up that has worked well for them? Any other suggestions are more than welcome. I want Paisley to enjoy the weekend as much as I do.

THANKS!

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
Not understanding something. You let your puppy wander off at your house? That's dangerous and can really open youself and the puppy to all kinds of hazards.
Keep the puppy in the house when you can't give her full attention. Otherwise always keep her leashed.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
" I am afraid of not being able to keep a close eye on her at all times while out for a swim or other potential distractions."

When you can't watch Paisley she needs to be in the house crated.
If you will be distracted in your responsibility to Paisley she needs to be in the house crated.

·
Gunner and Honey's Mom
5,621 Posts
I agree that if you can't keep an eye on her she needs to be crated inside. However, if you want her to enjoy the lake with you I'd buy a long leash for her and keep it hooked to you or a dock. I did this with Gunner and it worked out fine providing there weren't a bunch of people trying to swim in the area. I hooked a boat rope to his leash and he freely roamed in and out of the water.

·
AAARF!
2,216 Posts
I hooked together several long leads and a nylon rope and I use that for Finn when we go out to my mom and dad's pond. I hook it to a post by the water. I think he has over 100 feet of rope or more. I haven't actually measured it, but he has a ton of freedom. He can run in and out of the water, play on the beach, run around out in the grass, etc., and I don't have to worry about him chasing geese, deer, rabbits, etc., or heading for the road or woods and never to be seen again. I don't trust him at all off-leash at this point in his life. Safety first and then the fun!

Have a great time at the lake with Paisley! (Love that name!)

·
Registered
7,247 Posts
When we are camping (RV) we put a corkscrew type stake in the ground with a long tether on it. Max does not mind it, and wanders around the campsite looking for mischief, but most of time lays down and watches the world go by.

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
I would suggest a cable tie out versus rope or nylon webbing - rope and webbing can be chewed through in a heartbeat (been there done that -huh-huh Tracer).
No matter where you tie out - please be on the look out for underground hornets nests.

However my first choice would be to crate her safely indoors when you cant keep your eyes on her.

·
Wyatt Earp
3,595 Posts
I have an 8 month old golden named Paisley. She is a really good dog, and normally doesn't stray far. I am going to a friends lake house this weekend, and I know she will enjoy the outdoors/lake/and company, but I am afraid of not being able to keep a close eye on her at all times while out for a swim or other potential distractions. If she wanders at home she can find her way back. I am not so confident when she is in an area unfamiliar to her.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a tether/lead set up that has worked well for them? Any other suggestions are more than welcome. I want Paisley to enjoy the weekend as much as I do.

THANKS!
Absolutely! There are several different types. We used the spiral one with the cables. Your dog wants to be outside with you and not cooped up inside. Have fun!

http://www.gundogsupply.com/tieoutcabcha.html

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
We made our own long tether by using nylon cord bought at Lowes and a clip connection we also got there. DH wove it through the clip and braided it back into itself then burned the nylon so it fused, then wrapped it a cloth/tape you use on baseball bats. All very inexpensive and now each dog has a 100 ft to roam with. When at the lake, and they are in and out of water I can tie it around my waist and the dogs have gobs of freedom, yet I can keep them out of mischief.

If you can find a halter that fits well, you can even tie a rope to it and guess it would do for a short time tether. But some pups don't swim out and back and can get interested in something far away and try to swim for it. They could drownd or run away on the shoreline before you could catch them. I wouldn't trust them unless tethered to me somehow. Always better to be safe than sorry.

Bet he will have a blast at the lake! Know mine would think they were in heaven.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
If you tether her out near the lake you have to worry that the tether doesn't get hung up on anything. If it gets stuck in the wooden slats of a dock she could hang herself. So only tether when you can watch her.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
"I would hope that anyone tethering a dog would not leave the dog unattended. "

I would hope so also. I remember a poster with a young pup where her husband tethered the pup and she hung her/his self on the steps. So, many of us will think know not to tether and then leave them unattended but someone might.

Just trying to cover all bases. :)

·
Wyatt Earp
3,595 Posts
"I would hope that anyone tethering a dog would not leave the dog unattended. "

I would hope so also. I remember a poster with a young pup where her husband tethered the pup and she hung her/his self on the steps. So, many of us will think know not to tether and then leave them unattended but someone might.

Just trying to cover all bases. :)
I suppose that is why they have to label products......for those people:uhoh:

·
Registered
774 Posts
Question.....first of all, I posted some pics of Duffy swimming in Lake Michigan. Visible in the photos were his long lead (probably about 50'). I got so many questions about the lead -- a lot of them were negative. Like, what is he wearing - a leash?? Why do you have a leash on him when he's swimming, etc. I was surprised that so many people thought I was ruining his fun by keeping him on a long lead!

But anyway, here's my question - those of you who, like me, feel more secure keeping their dog on a long leash when he's swimming -- how in the world do you keep him from getting tangled up in it? This is an ongoing problem with us. He is constantly wrapping up his legs in it like a roped calf!

Kris

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
We use a 30 ft lead attached to Banker. And he is constantly supervised while wearing it in the water - I pull up the slack as needed.

Check with the rangers in your area. We are not allowed to take the dogs out on certain beaches and it is supposed to be a 6 foot lead by law. I met the local rangers and they said that they won't bother us if we stay away from the swimming beaches and he is behaving.They just wave to us now.

Banker has a life vest and I make him wear it. I like the handle to grab him by and the extra few minutes it gives me to get to him if he is in distress.

Take poop bags and use them. Also, a bowl and lots of water. Some dogs can handle drinking lake water, others don't.

Take the crate and put it in the shade (we have a large canopy tent). When you aren't watching him, use the crate. I don't trust others to watch him unless they really know him and what mischief he is likely to get into at the first sign of someone not paying attention.

If you are planning on taking him out on the 4th, think hard about it. Mine are all staying in. Too many crazy people out there (we aren't even taking the waverunners out).

·
Coley - my cuddle bug
2,336 Posts
But anyway, here's my question - those of you who, like me, feel more secure keeping their dog on a long leash when he's swimming -- how in the world do you keep him from getting tangled up in it? This is an ongoing problem with us. He is constantly wrapping up his legs in it like a roped calf!

Kris
My thought exactly!

Coley is never ever tethered. He's very much a home body. He used to go investigate the irrigation ditch out back behind our property but we've trained that out of him. He loves to lay out on the deck as the sun rises and will stay there for an hour when he first goes out in the morning. we go for a walk, and then he hangs out some more. That's his morning. We live on about 4 acres but unlike his angel brother, Dukee, he just hangs out here.

When we take him swimming, he swims and swims but never offers to swim away! He's just with us constantly as we work out of our home. He's an indoor dog for sure, but loves his deck. He scopes out his domain that way.

I guess I'm surprised it's an issue - we're very blessed!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts