Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had been working really hard on Milly's training, and was very consistent, but with the elections I didn't have as much time, and in my free time really worked on doing physical things like hikes (a lot off leash) with Milly, and our walks tended to be shorter, and we'd go to fields to play in the evenings. So, now, six weeks later, I went on a walk with her around the neighborhood (actually, went on a car trip to a new neighborhood to walk with one of my good friends), so it was more exciting being in a new place and noticed a lot of the walking nicely on a leash work I'd done all summer had disappeared over the past 6 weeks. I have still worked on other obedience things over these 6 weeks, but I was amazed at what she retained, and new things she didn't do before she is doing now. She did retain walk on a loose leash, thank goodness. She did develop a new habit of leaping straight in the air, rearing on her hind legs, and barking when a particularly fun squirrel runs across the path. Obviously, I'm less than thrilled with this new behavior. When she did it the first time I pulled on the leash and said, "Let's go" and started jogging to get her moving forward. When she did it again I gave a firm pop on the collar and said "No jump!". What should I be doing differently? How can I correct this behavior? She only does this with squirrels, and will get more attentive and a little excited, but nothing like this around dogs. After three corrections she quit doing the leap in the air, rear on her hind legs thing, and would just stop in her tracks when she spotted a squirrel (the barking had stopped too). I feel like this is on the right track, but I want her to maintain the forward motion of walking. Any thoughts?

·
Lost Her Mind
3,517 Posts
Every time a dog and a squirrel are mentioned, I think of this:

LOL, sorry.

Maxie has the same problem. Mojo couldn't care less, but Max goes NUTS. If I see the squirrel before she does I try to distract her ("Look Max, I have a cookie for you! You want the cookie!?") and if SHE sees the squirrel first, I pop her gently, give the correction and if she SITS and even LOOKS at me, she gets a cookie.

It only took a couple of times and she started listening more consistently.

·
Inactive
4,512 Posts
What you are doing is basically what I do. I would also do as Mssjnnfer wrote and anticipate beforehand when there is going to be a problem and be prepared with some good treats so that she learns you are much better.

My Scout has this problem too, but more so with cats but she learns it is more advantageous to be with me as 1) she doesn't get a pop (and she wouldn't be able to get the squirrel or cat regardless) and 2) she gets a very tasty treat for paying attention to me.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts