Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
where the tails wag
13,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Goals and plans for 2018 anyone?

As we near the holiday season, I find myself looking at next year.

What do I plan to work towards?
What are my goals?

While not ready to review 2017 yet, I love this start of planning for my next year.

Anyone else?

·
where the tails wag
13,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My preliminary goals for 2018.

Finish Faelan's UDX
Finish Towhee's UD
Finish Brady's UD

As one of my instructors commented to me:

'Bless your heart, 3 dogs in Utility :)'

Aedan I do not yet know. He may go strictly the rally and possibly agility route, or he may go obedience depending on the state of obedience.

Finch the same as Aedan....however in speaking with Barb, given she passes her clearances, we may skip the initial live cover breeding and go with frozen for her first litter! She still has not started her clearance process but this would be a litter I am very excited about :)

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
I am hoping Rukie can earn his canine good citizen and be enrolled in the local therapy dog training class and pass that also. I'm not sure if a male can accomplish all that by the time he's 18 months old or if that is expecting too much maturity. He's smart but a little stubborn unless there's a steady stream of treats involved

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
I definitely feel like Hazel and I are in a rut with our training. Between her spay and some recent traveling I've had to do, we've missed a bunch of classes and really slacked on the training at home...and it shows! Anyway, for 2018, I'd like to get us back on track. Consistency and organization of our training is key.

·
Kate
20,608 Posts
The person I train with tells me that she believes we can get both Bertie's CDX and UD by the end of next year. <= I'm not that confident, but if she believes in us... :D

And I just entered the last conformation show for 2017. They should be majors (golden specialty), but I'm not wild eyed optimistic that we're going to finish up Bert's CH. If it happens - it would make this year the VERY BEST YEAR EVERRRRRR. :D But all that said, I think we can def get his CH next year. We are just 3 points away.

My mom said something funny this past weekend. She was like, "Well, once you finish that championship, that's the last show..." <= ! I hate to break it to her, but....

·
Premium Member
1,614 Posts
Interesting and thought-provoking question!

My primary goal: a new knee for me! I'm on a list for a total knee replacement and am pushing hard for an operation in the first quarter of 2018. If this works out, it's going to impact our year significantly because I'll be off the road for about three months. My daughter will take over Duster's training during that time.

Otherwise, we have a couple of very specific goals. The Quebec Provincial agility championships are held at the end of June and I'm aiming to compete with Duster and qualify him for the Canadian National championship, which is being held close to our home in August next year. If I'm not fit enough to compete in June, there's the option of pre-qualifying him at a special competition just before the National. Either way, our goal is to be there in August. He's too young for me to have performance expectations, but I've always loved taking part in trials at this level, and my goal is for us both to have a fun and positive experience.

The focus of our training in 2018 will be confidence. Duster is a thinker, not a bulldozer, and likes to be sure of what he's doing before he actually does it. So we'll be doing lots of drills on equipment, and for specific handling moves and sequences. I'll also begin to train the "around" command, for him to take the back side of jumps - there are more and more of these on courses these days, but I haven't trained it yet because I don't think young dogs should be doing this kind of movement because of the uneven pressure it puts on their backs, joints and muscles.

I may also go back to rally-obedience. He only needs one leg to get his Novice title, but we would need some refresher classes first!

·
Registered
736 Posts
I'm really excited for 2018! I'll wait to review our current year until the December trial. Things I'm thinking about for next year:

-Keep working on focus/adding distractions to training
-Try CPE agility
-Get Penny's last Open Jumper's leg if we don't earn it in December
-Excellent titles
-Double Qs and MACH points! (I don't care how many)
-Elite titles in ASCA + ATCH points
-Improve distance handling

·
Registered
20,992 Posts
Now that Tito will be 11 in 2018, our only real goal is to enjoy each and every day together, and make as many memories as we can.
Although there *might* be a VST in our future yet....

·
Premium Member
4,447 Posts
2017 has been good to us.

Riot = CD, maybe CDX?? and RE, MH, MHU, and an upper placement (***) in a qualifying field trial (I can dream). Maybe if we can afford to go to national specialty next year, we can get another Triathlon award. Riot's signals are coming along well. He his go outs are nice, gloves and directed jumping. His one unproven thing is articles. We haven't worked on those yet. Since he's been forced to the pile for field work, I'm hoping I can get him to find the right article, not just the first article he comes to.

Lucy = RE, more SHU passes (she has her SHU already), and maybe 1 Open pass. I just want to see her just once take the jump when I send her, instead of running around, just once. But that's asking a lot of her, she prefers to do it her way. I hope this winter I can hunt her some, there never seems to be enough time.

Hunter = I hope makes it another year with us. Maybe I'll put him in an obedience class this winter, he loves going to class, it makes him happy.

·
Kate
20,608 Posts
I just want to see her just once take the jump when I send her, instead of running around, just once. But that's asking a lot of her, she prefers to do it her way.
One thing to throw out there... if a dog balks about jumping and he has been trained to jump, sometimes you want to pay a visit to a chiropractor - just in case.

A friend of mine whose dog does a lot of field came back from the National looking off in class. Best way I could describe it is he was locking his back and had a minor roach going on. And he was missing jumps and going down on his sit stays.

She had him in to the chiropractor and they found a pulled muscle. And it was probably from all the field work. It's very hard on them....

·
Premium Member
4,447 Posts
One thing to throw out there... if a dog balks about jumping and he has been trained to jump, sometimes you want to pay a visit to a chiropractor - just in case.

A friend of mine whose dog does a lot of field came back from the National looking off in class. Best way I could describe it is he was locking his back and had a minor roach going on. And he was missing jumps and going down on his sit stays.

She had him in to the chiropractor and they found a pulled muscle. And it was probably from all the field work. It's very hard on them....
Sure it’s always a possibility. Hadn’t thought of that.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Goals for 2018:
Sona:
1. Complete our clubs Black Opal Award (differentiate between 3 separate objects by name; find a scented object hidden in a room; heelwork (with sit, down, stand (handler walking away and behind dog) turns (right, left, about, double about, left about), fast and slow pace); recall through discractions (food, toys, dogs, people), 3 min out of sight sit stay; 3 min in sight stand stay; 3 tricks)
2. Work on Sona’s confidence and maintaining her joy in training
3. If 2. Is going well Attend at least one obedience show

Other news my trainer has asked me to work her German spitz Klein puppy(10 weeks old) in conformation and obedience so my personal goal is to show her faith in me is not misplaced and to do the puppy justice. Hopefully we will get her bronze and silver CGC awards in 2018. Not a GR I know but it will be a new training journey for me!

·
Finley and Banshee's Mom
1,414 Posts
Finley will try her hand in the utility ring, and I hope get her title. There's a local trial at the end of February that's been in the back of my mind as a good place to start. We just started playing around in the rally ring so I think we'll be doing that too. Depending on scheduling, I would like to get her RE but we'll have to see. We're having fun playing hunt games with a local club, so as I can we attend their training days. The goal in that area is more for me. I want to learn all I can about it before we bring the next puppy home. (Which won't be for a long time, but I want to proactive, and Finley thinks going after those bumpers is a fun time).

As far as Banshee is concerned, I think I'll get her in the rally ring also. Not sure about open, I need to get her to show n goes first. And that probably won't happen until Finley gets her UD.

·
where the tails wag
13,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am taking some time to 'plot' and plan my goals for my dogs - while I gave a rough idea further up in this thread, I am taking some time during this last week of the year (and okay I am waiting for the contractors LOL).

2 goals that are of the highest priority to me - my dogs and my fitness/health.

Other goals (2nd source of income, personal development, professional development, spiritual development, home, health, fiscal, family, relationships etc) while important are either easier to fit into smaller chunks of time (or while driving, hiking, working out etc) or are entered on the actual calendar so there planning is more fluid.

Brady is being castrated tomorrow so his training/plans are on hold while Towhee needs a LOT of proofing so the emphasis for the 1st quarter is Faelan & Aedan with lunchtime training as available for Finch. At 9, Towhee may not reasonably be expected to earn her UD but we shall see since so far she is in good shape.

Anyway, my high level graphic for my dogs.

Attachments

·
Registered
553 Posts
I've been training for obedience with Wyatt for over four years now and I've been putting off entering a trial. We had a lot of work to do on confidence and clarity in training. We'll make our debut in April and hope to get through our CDX this year. He is trained to Utility, but I need to keep working it at matches and proof his scent articles more.

For agility, this is the year of contacts. :) Not sure I'll trial this year, just depends on how things are going on obedience, timing, etc.

I think we are trading in field work for agility. But I am not sure yet.

Either way, I think the next two years are going to be busy with trials.

I also have a seminar on my calendar in August.

I'd like to be better about my own health.

I need to get my other dog, Oakley, diagnosed as he has been having health issues for a few years and we haven't been able to diagnose him. I'm having him tested for Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency (EPI) next week.

·
the party's crashing us
4,173 Posts
Slater - UD and continue to show in Utility until all the fuss about new open rules fizzles down and I figure out what we have to do with that :)
Bally - CD and train for whatever the new Open stuff is. I am done showing him in Breed unless it's something special like the National. Field we are in a holding pattern lots of therapy marks. If they had a National Open for Blinds I would enter him but turns out they want your dog to mark, too ;)
Brix - should be ready for JH/WC by the summer. He's really looking like a teenager these days and ages out of 12-18 the first of March so not sure how many shows we will do while he grows up.
Personally, I'd love to lose 10-15 more pounds, learn to ride my motorcycle better, keep making money, and I have several judging assignments coming up that I'm looking forward to :)
Oh! And another trip to Canada would be great :)

·
Premium Member
4,447 Posts
I need to get my other dog, Oakley, diagnosed as he has been having health issues for a few years and we haven't been able to diagnose him. I'm having him tested for Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency (EPI) next week.
I had a dog that was unable to digest food well. Vet said it was in his upper digestive tract. We put him on long term antibiotics and B12 injections. I honestly think the B12 injections did the most for him. B12 is cheap and you can do the injections yourself. Too much B12, and it just goes away in the urine and doesn't build up in the liver. Just a thought since you're exploring ideas on the GI issue.

·
Premium Member
4,447 Posts
I don’t know if this will happen in 2018 or ever, but I want Molly’s SH more than anything, more than an MH on Maisey. I’ll keep working on desensitizing her.
Crossing my fingers for you on the SH for Molly!she might surprise you.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts