Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
where the tails wag
13,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As we near the end of 2011, I find myself thinking of my goals for next year. The short winter days will allow me some additional learning time for reviewing methods, creating my training plans with tests and approaches.

So far, my plans include:

Casey
May he stay healthy, happy and energetic through this next year and continue playing at agility. He still possibly may get his CDX but it depends on his continued ability to jump. If he does get his CDX we will go directly into his UD.

Faelan
Obedience
UD in the fall, start on his UDX quest
Agility
Open STD and start and/or finish his Excellent STD titles
Working distance so we can earn those JWW titles
Field
Perhaps finish his JH, but continue some training to keep and improve his handling skills for continued field work once my obedience and agility goals have been completed

Towhee
Obedience
CD in the spring, before she goes into season
RA title perhaps by late summer

Finish and solidify her retrieve, continuing to work her in the basics for Utility and start scent articles once she loves her retrieve
Possibly her CDX in the late summer/early fall

Agility
Novice & Open agility titles throughout the year

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
For Flip, these are my goals that I think we should reasonably be able to obtain unless we hit a roadblock:

- get kicked out of novice in a reasonable amount of time
- earn his CDX and UD
- get some OTCH points

Our goal that would be a bit more of a stretch to finish this year, but we'll make a go at it:

- OBHF (obedience dog hall of fame)

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
I dont yet know all the lingo but my goals are as followed

Feb- pass and title in upland hunt test. 4 tests two days Feb 19th and 20th.( it would be an awesome birthday gift for me).

June and July put both HRC Started title and AKC JH title on my boy.
If money allows I would like to start Rally this summer.
Put some points towards Confirmation Champion in UKC.

·
Inactive
4,512 Posts
I really really want a JH. I am already counting down the days until the first trial in April.

I want to be handling cold land blinds and I want to get her through water handling next year so that the following year we can hopefully run Senior.

Obedience...well like I said before we still are training for it but it definitely has a back seat to field training these days. I have decided I will show when I feel like it is together and not set a date of when it has to happen.

·
Kate
21,670 Posts
Okay...

Rally - RA title.

I want to go for RE too, but that will depend on some of the new things. We haven't done them in fun matches, so no idea if he would nail them at trials. And I don't want to just show for a Q. :)

Obedience -

Novice leg or two before the year is up.

Jacks is going to be 4 and his stays are a LOT sounder than they were a year ago... so I'm in a happier place than I was last year at this time.

Other goal is to find other games to play to keep it fresh for us. Maybe hunt... even though the thread about blood on somebody's dog's fur completely grossed me out. o_O

·
Loving Flyball
1,626 Posts
I just want my dogs to smile big every time we are in the ring, the rest is just icing on the cake.

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
A couple quick goals...
I'd really really like to get a SH on Tito this year, because I want to show him in the breed ring as a Hunting Retriever at National in September, and they have to be at least a SH.
I'd like to get his open level agility titles this year.
Guess that's about it, off the top of my head...

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
I just want my dogs to smile big every time we are in the ring, the rest is just icing on the cake.
And to that I say, "Be careful what you wish for!" Anyone who has ever shown a dog that got zoomies in the ring, or one that got immense pleasure from licking on the dog next to him, knows exactly what I mean!

·
Kate
21,670 Posts
And to that I say, "Be careful what you wish for!" Anyone who has ever shown a dog that got zoomies in the ring, or one that got immense pleasure from licking on the dog next to him, knows exactly what I mean!

I had the same thought.... :eek:

Jacks has never zoomied in the ring, but he did drive me to do a verbal correction last winter when he got too "happy" and kept grabbing my clothes while heeling.

Danny's version of happiness was zooming around the ring and RUNNING OUT to visit my mom. :doh:

Sammy (my sister's dog) would have a happy fit in the middle of the offleash heel, and do one of the following:

1. Leave the ring to visit the friendly people out there

2. Run around the ring and jump on the judge

3. Burst into a sudden happy fit and do happy zoomy circles which include jumping and literally kicking my sister in the rear.

It took her 6 years to build up the confidence to go back into the ring after all of the shenadigans he put her through. :)

Other dogs I've seen as a spectator... include jumping fences to go play with the friendly dog in the next ring. Or jumping the fence to retrieve somebody else's dumbbell...

Or happily sitting at the start position, tail wagging, and watching their trainer complete the rest of the pattern...

·
the party's crashing us
4,278 Posts
Fisher:
Get 4 MH passes to qualify for MN
3 Finished passes to earn HRCH
I'm wavering on whether to enter any more Quals or the MN, should we qualify.

Slater:
Earn SH
Show in Novice by the National and Eastern Regional

We have several trips planned. To Ohio in late April for the Cardigan national; Ohio over the summer for training & HTs; St. Louis in Sept. for the golden national. I would love for my guys to earn Triathlon awards at the national, something I've never done before.

Can we dig up our goals from the beginning of 2011?

·
Loving Flyball
1,626 Posts
I would take the zoomies any day, over a sad sulky sac(like my Hank was). My Rivet is a total goof ball, but I always enjoy showing him! Yes, sillyness loses points and sometimes gives us an NQ, but I have learned so much about life from spending time with a him!

p.s. Rivet likes Papillions;)

·
Titan1
2,353 Posts
I hope for Titan to be well and healthy..I need to find some new goals..LOL!

·
Loving Flyball
1,626 Posts
I hope for Titan to be well and healthy..I need to find some new goals..LOL!
Puppy, TDX, puppy, AX, puppy, AXJ, puppy, JH, puppy, WC, puppy.....

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
Susan took the words right out of my mouth (hands?)

Reactions: Stretchdrive

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Ruby:

Agility: Finish that darn AXJ! We'll try for some MX/MXJ legs too, but after the AXJ, we're just there to have fun as long as she wants (but not too much fun as evidenced by the previous posts!).

Obedience: Get another UD leg or hopefully two to finish that title and retire.

Field: Keep having fun. Hopefully polish our handling skills and enter a SH test or two.

Piper:

Agility: Finish our OJP title (one leg needed). Make good headway (if not finish) our AXP, AJP.

Obedience: Show in Novice. Start/finish RE. These plans may change depending on the amount of time I actually have.

Field: Keep having fun. Hopefully polish our handling skills and enter a SH test or two.

Sage:

Stay as healthy as possible for as long as possible. When his time comes, I hope the end comes fast and as non-painfully as possible.

Me:

Have this baby as early in April as s/he will come! I also hope this happens as fast and non-painfully as possible!!!

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
Planning on a big year for Jersey. We had a hugely successful 2011, so I'm hoping to ride on that momentum. Our 2012 goals are:
Agility: Finish our MX and MXJ titles (we currently have 5 std legs and 4 jww). Beyond that it'll just be about going out, having some fun, trying some new things and hopefully racking up some QQs. I don't expect a MACH by the end of the year, but I certainly wouldn't argue with it, LOL

Obedience: By the end of the year I want to be ring ready for Utility. I've been putting off obedience for the past year, so we have some ground to make back up there.

Field: Finish our JH (we passed our first attempt this December, so 3 more to go)

Oz and I have our work cut out for us too. Starting our first agility class in 2 weeks. And shortly after that, it'll be time to start doing a little bit in the way of formal agility (introducing fun retrieves, formalizing recalls, maybe even setting groundwork for sendouts. I'm hoping to set the framework while putting us in a good place for agility distance work... so obedience will be a bit secondary with him).

Good luck to all of you on reaching your goals!

Julie, Jersey and Oz

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Boomer: have fun and enjoy another Christmas in 2012

Gladys: Pre-Novice
Gladys is hard to make goals for because she has maturity spurts and starts getting something when I least expect it ... sooo .....

.... continue training for Novice, RN, SH and when she is ready ~ woila!

Reactions: Sunrise

·
Humankind. Be both.
7,650 Posts
For my dogs to remain happy and healthy at 8 and 11-years-old!

Beyond that ... I'd like to earn a UD with Quiz and maybe some UDX legs, but I'm a cash-poor grad student now, so show entries aren't as frequent as they once were. Time is severely limited, too.

If I can swing it, I'd like to get back into an agility class with Quiz, too. Then maybe we'll show in AKC and see about MX and MXJ titles. He's so fast and wild out on the course that I know better than to show if we've not been consistently training.

And ... by the end of 2012 I will be 3/4 of the way done with my master's.

·
They get it
4,446 Posts
Can we dig up our goals from the beginning of 2011?
I found these:

http://www.goldenretrieverforum.com...9027-its-time-again-goals-2011-your-dogs.html

I went through and I guess I missed it when it was going around, I couldn't find a post from me. I though I had. Oh well.

Dooley:
Achieve a CD as early as possible then start in Open.
Maybe try a Rally class.

Breeze:
Enter close Hunt Tests to see how she does.
Continue agility classes.
Work towards entering Novice.
Start scoping out boyfriends for 2013.

Tag:
Continue to train in both field and obedience.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts