Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question for y'all... had some beautiful go-outs tonight but the sits aren't straight... will those sits straighten up with time/once we add jumps? Or should I teach sits separately... ie when I ran Hunt Tests and taught some handling skills, my dogs knew the sit-whistle meant to face me and sit square. I could walk a circle around them and give a sit-whistle or verbal sit, and they'd turn to face me. Is it necessary to add that skill to my pup's repertoire or will the sit straighten up over time?

Also- how many points off for a crooked sit on a go-out?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Go OUts

I think you would get counted off more for an indirect go out. It is my understanding that the judges have a "visual" on an area in which the dog should target, with respect to distance and space.

·
Riot's mom
632 Posts
My opinion would be that you want to get the dog in the habit of a nice square sit. It's harder to get the dog to take the correct jump if they are facing toward the wrong one. With my first dog, I would sometimes throw a ball to her right after she turned to sit. It really got her to whip around and stare right at me.

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
It's not scorable at all. There was a sheltie before that didn't turn at all, sat in the same direction he was running and then looked over his shoulder to see the jump signal. AKC said it was acceptable and not to be scored. Just a personal preference if you want the square sit or not.

Reactions: LittleRedDawg

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well... if it's not scorable at all and the directed jumping is reliable, I'm inclined to not worry about it. I'd rather not focus on it if I don't have to- but- this is a dog I'd like a UDX and OTCH with, and if we need a nice sit to get there, then I'm willing to put the work into it.

·
Titan1
2,353 Posts
Well... if it's not scorable at all and the directed jumping is reliable, I'm inclined to not worry about it. I'd rather not focus on it if I don't have to- but- this is a dog I'd like a UDX and OTCH with, and if we need a nice sit to get there, then I'm willing to put the work into it.
I have both.:wavey:. You are not required to have a straight sit and you will not be scored on it.

Reactions: LittleRedDawg

·
Loving Flyball
1,626 Posts
I have both.:wavey:. You are not required to have a straight sit and you will not be scored on it.
I am training my Filly to have both. One reason is because I feel it will be more clear to her exactly what I want, but also because I don't want the crooked sits to start drifting over to one side of the ring or another. I am sure she will not have perfectly square sits when we show, but that is what I train for. I also prefer the looks of it.

Reactions: Sunrise
1 - 7 of 7 Posts