Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
and grains. I know, I know...not supposed to delete whole food groups from our diet but in this case, it will also be good for my blood sugars/diabetes. And if I can use less insulin, I might lose more weight.

I saw an interview on the news with this guy and boy it sounded like he was talking about me. Last year I lost 35 pounds a total of 12 inches off top and middle...nothing off my belly. So it's worth a try. Doctor approved of it today.

Has anyone else heard of this? Tried this?

Wheat Belly: Why a Wheat-Free Diet Could Help You Lose Weight | Women's Health Magazine

Wheat Belly | Lose the Wheat, Lose the Weight

·
Premium Member
7,788 Posts
There's a book titled The False Fat Diet by Elson Haas (M.D.) that discusses food sensitivities that cause us to gain and retain extra pounds that our calorie intake and activity levels don't sustain. Despite the somewhat sensationalist title, the book is based on a lot of research and it provides a sensible plan for identifying problem foods and eliminating them from your diet. I recall that wheat products are pretty high on the list of foods that cause this kind of weight gain.

For about four years I was on a gluten-free diet (no wheat, oats, barley or rye - so no bread, pasta, pizza, cookies, crackers, etc.), as well as being required to eliminate all dairy products, peanuts, beef and tomatoes. It was a tough regimen, but I felt so much better when I stopped eating things that were essentially poisonous for me that it was 100% worth the effort. Luckily for me, those years of strict adherence to diet and daily supplements with probiotics and vitamins allowed my body to heal and I no longer need the gluten-free regime.

Good luck!
Lucy

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Hi! I have been on a low carb- bread and starch free diet for going on three years now. My weight stays stable- no ups and downs anymore- my high blood pressure is now perfect- I also eat no sugar of any kind. No fruit either. Just low carb veggies and lean proteins. You have to be willing to give up your past favorite junk food for feeling and looking good. I am willing to do that. There are plenty of vegetables to feast on- I am never hungry. It is all the junk and chemicals the average person inhales that causes you to become addicted to fat producing foods. I was driving home last night past a local McDonalds at about 7PM- and they were so busy there was no parking avaible- people where waiting in line!!!! I am shocked that people will eat such junk( the worst!) rather than go to the store and purchase healthy food to eat.

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow, that would be tough!!

The author says that modern grains have been so bio-chemically altered that their dna has changed. The grains today are not the grains our parents and grandparents ate.

I haven't read the book, but in the interview he mentions a protein in wheat that has mutated to where it's actually dangerous.

The first 2 days I stayed 'legal' my blood sugars stayed under 150 without insulin. After eating crackers last night it was 400. Kind of not rocket science with those results.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts