Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
I ♥ Bailey and Annie!
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bailey does very well during her bath's and I even got her to lay down in the tub when I rinsed her off. I was able to give her a bath weekly, but now it's every two to three weeks before I'm able to bathe her. I have a damaged spinal cord in my neck, so I really need to watch what I do for the day.

I gave Bailey a bath yesterday and it brought my pain way up and I'm really paying for it today.:( I need to blow dry her due to it being winter. I feel bad I'm not able to do this. I know a lot of people don't agree with such frequent bath's, but Bailey loves being clean. She loves her bath's too. When she is done, she has a non stop wagging tail and a smile on her face.

I like giving the bath's myself because I know I get all of the shampoo out, which is extremely important. I'm sure I'm going to have to give up her bath's and let dh do them.

·
shadow friend
3,886 Posts
I bought this red suction cup connected to a groomers loop to stick to the bottom of a partly filled tub at a dog.com store.

It was only 3 dollars so I figured I'd get it because the only reason Max stays in the tub is because Leif is holding him there. If it works, I'll let you know! Than at least you don't have to worry about holding her in place. And if it can hold still 80 pound superstrong Max, I know it will work for any dog!!

·
Daisy - my heart
12,575 Posts
That's sad, I'm sorry :( It's tough when your spirit is all there but your body isn't. I have a herniated disc in my neck, I know what it's like to do something and then pay for it later.

Maybe your husband can help and you can supervise? :)

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Another thing may be to search for "Self serve dog wash" facilities. (...when I first visited online groups 9 years ago...I found one in our state...now there's one five minutes away...they're all over the place here!) If you can't find one of those, a groom shop may let you pay to use their facility after hours or on a less busy time.

The force dryers those facilities have work way better than a hair dryer...I have one (...it has cool air...is for livestock..) and am seriously considering a heated force dryer (still nowhere near as warm as a hair dryer). A tip that seems obvious and took me forever to figure out: The more you towel dry, the less time the blow drying takes. My dogs hate the drying and I don't want to put in the time to teach them to love it, so we do a quick 5 minute drying and then I let them sit in their crate on towels for a while to finish drying. Yes...they come out looking dump with hair all ruffled and not wanting to lie flat... but hey, theyr'e not show dogs and our friends like the "dinosaur ridges".

(I like frequent baths too... when I worked at the groom shop, yup, my dogs got baths every week. Now that I don't have access to a raised tub and don't want to pay $10-15 for all three dogs every week at a dogwash.... they aren't getting baths as frequently and I sure miss it!)

·
Logan & Lacey in R hearts
1,814 Posts
Do you happen to have a hand-held shower attachment to help during the rinse part? Or are you using a pitcher to scoop up water and pour over her? I use to do the pitcher routine - then I had my husband install a hand-held shower device. It made it so much easier to rinse. My sister also swears by the micro fiber towels to dry off her dogs. Since they are hard to find in really large pieces, she bought the pack of yellow ones at Costco and sewed them all together. She loves it because now she has a really large towel for drying. I know what you mean - the dogs do appear really happy and frisky after a nice bath and hair drying.

·
New Dad
254 Posts
I thought it was bad for goldens to wash them that often. I've had two in my life and both had skin issues and washing only irritated their skin. We never washed them unless there really dirty and muddy. Isnt washing them so frequently bad for the natural oils in their coats?

·
Love my Golden Boys!!
7,080 Posts
I give anyone trying to bath a golden credit!!!!!! Tried it once and that was enough. We now take them to the groomers!!!!

·
I ♥ Bailey and Annie!
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bailey has wonderful skin with the frequent baths. You guys have great suggestions. It's getting harder to make sure her fur is washed and fully rinsed. I'm still in a great amount of pain from over doing it. I've tried the hand held in the other bathroom, it doesn't work. It scares her, so I do use a pitcher. I like that she will lay down in the water, she loves the water. It gets her back end rinsed really well.

I'll have to give the job over to hubby. I'm honestly not suppose to lift over 5 pounds. I don't really want to pay for a groomers or their use of the tub. Bailey does so well here with her bath's, plus she gets car sick.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
We now bath the dogs in our stand-alone shower. No lifting in or out, the stall is small enough that one person can easily block them in. Not quite as easy as a raised shower, but close.
I towel dry them and then let them run loose in the house. Even the Sheepies (long, thick coats) dry fairly quickly.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
Is it the bending over that causes you problems? Bailey would probably get used to the hand-held shower head with time, I can see where a pitcher would be tiring for you. I've never dried any of my dogs, even in winter. I just towel dry then let them air dry the rest of the way.

Hank gets a bath at least every week, sometimes more (already twice in one day!). He loves to get dirty! His coat & skin are very nice. I love the smell and feel of a clean coat.

·
I ♥ Bailey and Annie!
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is it the bending over that causes you problems? Bailey would probably get used to the hand-held shower head with time, I can see where a pitcher would be tiring for you. I've never dried any of my dogs, even in winter. I just towel dry then let them air dry the rest of the way.

Hank gets a bath at least every week, sometimes more (already twice in one day!). He loves to get dirty! His coat & skin are very nice. I love the smell and feel of a clean coat.
Yes, it the bending over and washing her that make my neck so sore, I don't get tired, just in a lot of pain. I permanently damaged my spinal cord and I currently still have two herniated discs, but those discs are not quite on the spinal cord, so they won't operate again quite yet. I guess I'm permanently disabled with severe chronic pain? I'm only 35, so I really don't want to think that.

I'm just bummed that this is one less thing I can do. I don't like this limited life. I use to run 36 miles a week and race in triathlons. I'm now stuck between the chair and bed all day and night long with an ice pack glued to my neck. It's been this way for two years.:no:

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
I gave my two a bath today. I have a rapid bath that hooks into the shower head. It is great for rinsing gets right into the skin/coat.

Both of mine jump into the tub and they love their bath time. At first it took two of us, but I have been washing them alone for over a year now and they are actually better for me alone. They will sit or lie down when I ask them too.

They get baths every other week more if needed. I use diluted Cowboy magic shampoo and conditioner and their coats and skin are just fine. My back does get sore (ibuprofen before and after). These two are easy, they love water and are well behaved. My first Golden hated water so she went to the groomers for baths, the one time we bathed her (3 months old) was a disaster. We still "shudder" when we think about it. ;)

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
I have a walk in shower with a hand held shower nozzle. And then I sit on a tall pot to give the pups a bath. It makes it easier on my back and I can wash them easier. And for my wiggle pup (Shelby) I put a leash on her and put it under my foot. There is no bending over at all now.

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
I gave up the bathing (even on grooming clients) when I was 7 months pregnant, just couldn't do it anymore. DH does it & I, like you, was very hesitant to hand over the shampoo. He does everything in such a haphazard way, I just knew they would come out with soapy britches & muddy paws...but he actually does a very good job. what guarantees that he rinses enough is hiding the shampoo bottle & only giving him access to the spray bottle of diluted shampoo. that way he isn't using too much to begin with.

as far as drying, our girls were taught to shake off on command (very handy!). they will either go to the side deck, or wait until we close the shower curtain. 2-3 good shakes & a once over with the towel gets most of the job done. if they are going to be homebodies for the week, they just stay in their room until they dry. if we have a class, show, or outing, they are blown straight with a heated forced air dryer.

·
Lost Her Mind
3,517 Posts
I dreaded giving them baths too. I LOVE them clean and nice-smelling, but bathing was a nightmare because of my injured back. My incision-area from my hysterectomy a year ago also starts to hurt a lot if I'm bent over for a while.

DH got me a booster bath for Christmas and I LOVE it.

We set it up in the bathroom (our bathroom isn't big, and there's really only enough room to stand next to it, LOL) and have the draining hose in the tub and use the long hand-held shower head to rinse and stuff. I swear, it's made baths 90% easier. My back does still get a LITTLE achy by the end of doing both of them, but it was still nowhere NEAR what it was before.

http://www.petedge.com/product/Groo...oster-Bath-Tubs/pc/190/c/191/sc/266/44069.uts

·
I ♥ Bailey and Annie!
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That booster bath is awesome! That is something I'm going to look into! Thanks a bunch! :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts