Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we have a big chain linked fenced in yard and our girls in the morning will be outside and constantly bark at all the school kids going by or anyone for that matter..
running up/down the fence..

we have been told that since they are wagging there tails back/forth it means they mean no harm and it's just there way of saying hello or are they protecting there territory while wagging there friendly tails?

2nd thing:
Savannah Mae, when someone comes over, get's so excited that she makes the most crazy primevil kinds of sounds, almost like Chewbacca from Star wars..
she keeps it up and then when u pet her, she lays on the floor while you rub her and the sounds get louder and more intense, shaking, yelping and would go on forever if you keep it up.
craziest sounds I ever heard...
been this way since she was a pup..[now four]..
anyone have similar situations?

Attachments

·
Humankind. Be both.
7,650 Posts
I wouldn't allow them to continue running the fence line and barking. It's a great way to develop barrier frustration over time. In general, when a dog spends a lot of time repeatedly practicing that high level of arousal, it almost always has a negative fallout somwhere at some point.

Use it as a training opportunity. Try going out there in the morning, asking for a simple behavior, like sit, or even "quiet" and reward for that. Or call them in just before you know the stream of kids will start to flow by.

As for the noises... (I'm assuming you want it to stop?) teach her to hold a toy and make sure nobody responds to the noises. Anyone who says things like, "WHAT?? WHAT IS IT? WHAT'S THE MATTER HONEY?!" is only rewarding the behavior. Ignore it. Or even immediately stop petting and turn away. Be consistent and she'll get it!

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Mine when they are excited make the chewbacca sounds too. For the running along the fence line, I would stop that when they start doing that. Some kids might take it as a challenge or do something. When they start running, call them inside. Soon they should catch on that the behavior is not allowed.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
I would put a stop to it also. And I'm pretty sure a dog wags its tail when its stressed out too, or for some reason other than a friendly greeting. Don't know for sure though.

·
Humankind. Be both.
7,650 Posts
A wag can mean a lot of things. I fast, high wag is usually arousal. Mid-range wag usually friendly. Low wag usually appeasing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts