Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to introduce my new fluffster.

IMG_20110927_154624.jpg

His name is Little Buddy. No correlation to Gilligan.

I found my friend at a breeder when he was 6 1/2 weeks old. He's 9 weeks now.
I would've introduced him earlier, but between schooling, teaching my son how to act around the puppy, and socializing him at every given opportunity I've just been pressed for time.

He's your normal Golden Retriever. Loving, sweet, adorable fluff ball sent to be a blessing to everyone.

My son's been having a bit of a hard time with the teething. It's hard to get a 4 year old not to run away flailing his arms like little teeth targets, but he's learning. I anticipated having to train a puppy, but my son and a puppy. :D

IMG_20110927_154441.jpg

I've posted on these forums before, when I lost my last friend, Buddy to cardiac hemangiosarcoma.
Little Buddy, and Buddy. (I'm not creative with names, and I ended up calling him Buddy more often than not anyway.)
It was a hard time for me, points at which I thought to myself I'd never get another dog, but I just couldn't resist after seeing his waggy-little tail, big brown eyes. Now I'm head over heals for my little guy and couldn't be happier.
I think Buddy would've loved Little Buddy.

Anyway, no concerns or sad stories this time. Just thought I'd share some happy news with you guys for once.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Oh my! What a sweet boy! Welcome & be prepared for shark teeth.

·
Registered
618 Posts
He's an adorable little guy. I think most of us have caved on our promise to never get another dog. I know I did, and I couldn't happier doing so. Good luck with your new pup. :crossfing

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, he's definitely something else with that biting.
Not in regards to myself, but like I said before, getting a 4 year old to not react to the puppy chasing him is going to be a task in itself.

I've only raised one puppy before him, but I think I'll do fine.
My wife's been complaining that I've been reading more on how to raise a puppy than books on pregnancy before my son was born.

So many conflicting views on how to and not to raise a puppy.
Choke chain, pinch collar thing, clicker, dog whistle, treats, no treats.
It's a land of confusing articles and this forum is my favorite place to go through.

The link to the page where data is discussed on neutering, health related pros/cons, when to or why not to has been a great help. I haven't discussed it with my new vet, but my old vet had a 5 month age minimum.
So far I've decided to not neuter.

Anyways, you guys are a wealth on information and insightful experiences.

·
I miss my Buddy
11,531 Posts
I like Little Buddy. He is so cute. Enjoy the puppyhood.

·
Registered
586 Posts
congrats on your new fluff ball! The good news is the shark teeth phase eventually comes to an end, but not without everyone in the family sporting some war wounds to prove it. Having lost two goldens, I know how painful it can be to take the plunge again, but each of them (including my new 6 month old, Maya) have brought us much happiness--I think my home will forever be filled with a golden or two--although it maybe a rescue again next time. Puppies are a handful!!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I've got a question.

Little Buddy seems to have an obsession.
With his landmines.

When we're on walks if I don't get his poop up in a baggie right away he'll play with it like it's doggy crack.

Is this normal?
A puppy phase he'll eventually work out of?

He doesn't seem to be wanting to ingest it, just to spread it everywhere possible like some demented Johnny Appleseed.

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
First congratulations on your little Buddy, he is a doll! My little guy is 11 wks and can already tell he is going to be a wonderful handfull. Everything is wonderful to him, even his poop! He looks at it like he can't believe where it came from!! No eatting, just looking at it and gets all happy. We just pick it up and try to hide it quickly. Yes your little Buddy is going to bring you such joy, but watch for the bitting, it is a stage they outgrow, but wow, my arms look like I got in a fight with a tumbleweed. Start working on your son right now and teach him how to play with Buddy so not to encourage the bitting. Hard to do, but for the months the pup is in this stage well worth the extra precautions.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts