Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Professional Poop Scooper
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Didn't realize that Oscar's hair was knotting behind his ears. Pretty sure it's the result of swimming and then scratching, or maybe just from shaking. Only ever had labs before, and they don't have long enough hair to form a snarl.

I think I may have to just cut them off, but hate to do that. Any magic remedy?

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Cookie is prone to that too. To prevent the mats, I use Cowboy Magic detangler and shine. I squirt out about a dime size amount and rub it in behind the ears. Then I carefully use my steel greyhound comb to work it in. Cowboy magic is sold at tack shops or online. It is expensive, but lasts a long time.

If you do have to cut the mats, be really careful as the skin behind the hears is very elastic and easy to cut by mistake.

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
Oakly is prone to ear mats also. I work the bulk of them out a few strands of hair at a time from the base of the mat. It is slow work and he hates it so I do it in several short sessions.

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
I've found the best solute is prevention. When I brush Tucker, I use the comb behind his ears, and sometimes the furminator. I don't like the latter too much because it can damage coats, but it's great to use on places where matts are likely to develop. Also, when I pet him, I try to feel behind his ears a lot to see what's going on back there.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
My Collie was really prone to this....I think because behind the ears is peoples' favorite place to pet. :)

I got SO mad when the groomer at our kennel just shaved a big patch behind his ear!

I always used one of these:

Just be gentle. Using this, I could get the mats out relatively quickly and without having to cut or shave.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Sawyer gets a lot of ear mats too. If I can't brush them out, I carefully cut them out, but this time when I took him to get groomed I requested they thin out the excess hair under his ears. He doesn't look any different and I haven't noticed any mats since.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Might have to try that cowboy magic though.
It works well to prevent mats in the butt feathers too, which is another place where Cookie can get them, and it good for all over use to keep them looking and smelling nice between baths. Just be careful applying it, as it is super-slippery if it gets on your floor. I found out that the hard way and nearly killed myself!:doh:

·
Premium Member
18,028 Posts
You may have to cut the matts out if they are really big right now. For future you can use thinning shears and cut some of the thickness behind the ears to help prevent the matts, and just start brushing behind the ears, and places like the hips and tail on a regular basis.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I use a dematting comb on Wake's ears and butt BEFORE the mats get too big. He has very "sticky" fur and humidity does a job on it.

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
Brooks seems to have fur that doesn't mat very easily (he doesn't go swimming, so maybe that would be a contributor?).
However, even though he doesn't need much brushing, that fur behind the ears is the place I tend to brush more than other places as it sure looks like it would be more inclined to get ratty looking.

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
when Bridger has had bad matts behind ears, DH used moustache trimmer on electric razor.....worked great, no bald spot. Another vote for Cowboy Magic Detangler to prevent them.

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
We use the mat ripper CStrong posted, but prevention is obviously the goal. To that end, I go behind the ears with a grooming rake after swims and at least weekly during non-swimming season. A little Cowboy Magic helps prevent them, and a little can help when you're using the ripper.

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
when Bridger has had bad matts behind ears, DH used moustache trimmer on electric razor.....worked great, no bald spot. Another vote for Cowboy Magic Detangler to prevent them.
that's great! I don't have a mustache trimmer but that's cute. :D

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
Cookie is prone to that too. To prevent the mats, I use Cowboy Magic detangler and shine. I squirt out about a dime size amount and rub it in behind the ears. Then I carefully use my steel greyhound comb to work it in. Cowboy magic is sold at tack shops or online. It is expensive, but lasts a long time.

If you do have to cut the mats, be really careful as the skin behind the hears is very elastic and easy to cut by mistake.
That fluffy hair behind the ears mats easily, it seems no matter how often or carefully I brush there I always seems to feel mats. The Cowboy Magic and a steel comb works great.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts