Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Milo only appears to have one issue. He's overweight. I think he's around 75 pounds, and he's only 10 months old.

There is no rib tone when you feel, and he has no tuck to speak of.

Same as me, but that's another story :)

I want to get this weight off him as fast and safe as possible as this can't possibly be good for him.

I do have two things going for us. He is still a pup and has a few months of puppy cycle left in him to help burn it off once he's put on proper food.

Second, he ain't never seen the likes of Gilmour, and the G-Man ain't going to let him rest much ;) Luckily, Milo seems to be quite happy with that.

Ok, so now what.

I've changed him to the same food Gilmour gets (Castor & Pollux UltraMix). He was on Kibbles & Bits. I think that there was probably part of the problem. Not everyone knows about these things...

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
Second, he ain't never seen the likes of Gilmour, and the G-Man ain't going to let him rest much ;) Luckily, Milo seems to be quite happy with that.

Good diet and exercise should do it. Dillon came to me very overweight and while I know that switching to a healthy diet helped immensely, I do feel that chasing Sam around the yard for hours on end was the biggest reason he was able to drop that extra weight so quickly.

Honestly I wouldn't worry too much about it.. he's a young dog and with some good exercise and a good diet, I bet he'll shed those pounds quickly!

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
Many here have had success by substituting some unsalted canned green beans for some of the kibble to help speed up the weight loss.

·
Registered
22,569 Posts
Be sure to Measure all food and be sure to use the same measuring cup every single time. Tucker needed to lose 4 pounds and he's already lost two. I have a formula we use for him, but it's not the same for all dogs. You can try reducing by 1/4 cup. If weight comes off too quickly, you know to increase the food a bit.

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
Can you find a place to swim? My lab lost 35# a few years back. We first made sure there was no physical reason for the weight, then we went on a diet. We changed to a better food so we could feed less and she still got good nutrition. The exercise began, running, swimming, playing, walking. It came off. I am glad to say we have kept it off for about 4 years now too.

Swimming is a great way to burn calories with out too much risk of injury. Milo still being young you want the joints to not get too beat up.

Ann

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Sounds like Gilmour is going to take care of that for you and I'll bet his appetite increases in the process but at least he's getting a good daily work out now. That's one of the greatest parts about having two, they self exercise!
I would imagine a family owning a golden for the first time that doesn't know about proper nutrition and letting the eat what they will (esp kibblels & bits) could really make for an overweight pup fast. How much were they feeding him?

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
Swimming is definitely the way to get low-impact exercise.

The other piece? Feed less. Some people use beans to help the dog feel fuller, but the key is that you hold the scoop. Measure what you're giving him and cut it back 10% at a time until you see very, very slow weight loss. You don't want to instantly adjust him to a correct weight. Slow is important.

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Funny you should mention that.

Last night, and this morning, are the first times in 6 months he's eaten his entire bowl all at once :)

Sounds like Gilmour is going to take care of that for you and I'll bet his appetite increases in the process but at least he's getting a good daily work out now. That's one of the greatest parts about having two, they self exercise!
I would imagine a family owning a golden for the first time that doesn't know about proper nutrition and letting the eat what they will (esp kibblels & bits) could really make for an overweight pup fast. How much were they feeding him?

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm not sure how much.

The way he acts when I'm eating, I think their 13 y/o was doing some under-the-table feedings as well :)

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, Castor & Pollux has weight management version of UltraMix available. I'm going to pick up a bag of that tonight as well.

Thanks!

·
Missing Tasha, Sky, & Ral
3,380 Posts
I also found it helped to take kibble out of the scoop after I measured it to use as treats during the day. This way they are not getting any extra calories.

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Got the C&P Weight Management last night. He seems to like it :)

Bag says 2 3/4 cups to 4.5 cups a day for a dog his size. Gee, thanks for the wide margin there LOL

So I've split the difference to start. 1.5 morning and night, for a total of 3.

Hopefully that , and all the constant exercise he's getting now, will be all we need to do.

·
Registered
22,569 Posts
Got the C&P Weight Management last night. He seems to like it :)

Bag says 2 3/4 cups to 4.5 cups a day for a dog his size. Gee, thanks for the wide margin there LOL

So I've split the difference to start. 1.5 morning and night, for a total of 3.

Hopefully that , and all the constant exercise he's getting now, will be all we need to do.
I'm lucky. I know Tucker can only eat around 730 calories. If he eats 730 calories, he will maintain his weight at 73 pounds. Bump it up to 740, 74 pounds. Shadow would starve on so few calories though. Once you know how many calories they can eat and maintain a good weight, it's easy, unless of course a medical condition arises.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I have to agree with a lot that has already been posted here: more exercise, slow reduction in weight; green beens to feel fuller, etc.

An additional perspective from my own experience and some other dog owners I know:

When I decreased the protein and fat % (as often seen in weight management formulas or senior formulas), my Bentley seemed to maintain and maybe even gain weight. There wasn't much muscle tone.

But when I increased protein and fat % to moderate levels (26-33% protein and 14-18% fat), he actually lost weight with time and seemed more toned.

It's frequently reported that dogs utilize protein and fat first before carbohydrates and that certainly seemed to be true in our case. The higher the protein and fat %, the lower the carb %; and visa versa.

Food for thought anyway.

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
When I decreased the protein and fat % (as often seen in weight management formulas or senior formulas), my Bentley seemed to maintain and maybe even gain weight. There wasn't much muscle tone.

But when I increased protein and fat % to moderate levels (26-33% protein and 14-18% fat), he actually lost weight with time and seemed more toned.

It's frequently reported that dogs utilize protein and fat first before carbohydrates and that certainly seemed to be true in our case. The higher the protein and fat %, the lower the carb %; and visa versa.

Food for thought anyway.
My anecdotal experience seems to confirm this observation. We feed 30/20, as much as we can get into the dogs, and they stay glossy and lean as heck.

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
I have to agree with a lot that has already been posted here: more exercise, slow reduction in weight; green beens to feel fuller, etc.

An additional perspective from my own experience and some other dog owners I know:

Food for thought anyway.
This is how I do it, too. It seems to pan out just like you say. The shiny coats are an added bonus. People are always asking me if I just had given them a bath.

·
Registered
5,035 Posts
When I needed Tinkerbell to lose weight we switched to Wellness Core reduced fat. She lost 18 pounds in a year without excercise and wasn't hungry. She did get frozen and fresh veggies added in, but she always has, it helps hide her medicine and she got 2 cups of food a day.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts