Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some background first:

My dog Clementine is 5 years old. I have had her for about 2 years and have given her the occasional raw food (I purchased a case of chicken backs and give them to her sometimes) but I am now on my last bag of grain-free dog food and am hoping to make the change to the prey model of RAW.

However, I am having a tough time finding a place I can buy whole fish for anything approaching a price I would pay to give it to my dog... Where do you guys get your fish?

Do I need to invest $$ and go fishing?? ;)

·
Love my two goldens!
202 Posts
I struggled in my search for fresh fish. I wanted to find small oily fish that were low on the food chain in order to avoid mercury as much as possible. So, I was mostly interested in raw sardines, but apparently they have a poor shelf life and don't freeze well. It seems these fish are easier to find fresh closer to the cost. So, I do give a can of sardines packed in water from time to time, but canned sardines are cooked. :(

I buy my raw meat from mypetcarnivore.com They recently started selling Whole Lake Herring from Lake Michigan. Lake Herring feed primarily on algae, zooplankton, and insects so bieng low on the food chain, they should be a safe fish to feed to our dogs. I haven't tried it yet, but I probably will on my next order. I do not think mypetcarnivore delivers to Minnesota, but they do ship. Perhaps that is an option for you.

·
Beware of Nestle Purina
5,715 Posts
You could always take up fishing!

·
Love my two goldens!
202 Posts
Raw salmon is not bad for dogs, but raw salmon that is contaminated by infected parasites can kill dogs. Salmon should either be cooked or frozen for 7 days below -4 degrees (F). Freezing will kill the parasites and the salmon will be just as safe to consume as if it were cooked.

·
Premium Member
4,605 Posts
Lots of sled dogs up here live on an almost fish only diet. You might want to contact Yummie Chummies treats to possibly get a source for salmon. Our fish up here don't have the parasite they have down in Oregon and Washington. So they are safe. There are such a huge supply of pink salmon up here they have to move them with bulldozers. The creeks can get so deep with punks. But Yummie Chummies uses only local salmon.

Reactions: Melfice
1 - 7 of 7 Posts