Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am new and I found this place while I was looking for more info on Goldens.

Anyways I am picking up our new puppy this Saturday and I pretty much have everything I'll need but have a couple questions.

the first is about food, the Breeder told us and also has it in the contract that we are supposed to switch from the puppy food to a adult food at 12 weeks of age. they approve of our choice in Origin food, but I was originally planning on going with the large breed puppy, now I am looking at the adult. Now my understanding of this is that the old belief is that the puppy food causes them to grow to fast and cause joint problems, but I have read a bunch of studies lately that show it is the excessive Ca and phosphorus that cause the problem not protein, but they usually go hand in hand. what is the consensus on here about puppy food?

the second question is about neutering. at what age do people neuter there goldens? I was thinking 6 months but the breeders mentions that they would like me to wait till 8 or 9 months if I can and even a year if possible as they feel they grow to tall and spindly if they are neutered to early?? opinions on this would be appreciated also.

Thanks

Steve

·
Registered
154 Posts
Hi Stircrazy...congrats on picking up your new puppy this weekend! What an exciting time!

We had a golden that we recently had to put to sleep - he was 8 years old. When he was a puppy, the breeder told us to put him on an adult formula food. We just got our newest puppy and this breeder wanted him on a puppy food. It's really hard to know the right/wrong thing to do. I am by no means an expert so that is why I come to this forum to hopefully find guidance from those that have had more experience with their goldens. What worked for my adult golden may not work for our newest puppy.

Regarding the neutering, our breeder said her personal preference is to wait until they are a year old. She said by all means if he is lifting his leg on everything and has some destructive behavior, then go ahead and neuter him earlier. The vet thinks around 6 months old. Again...tough call here. I think the best advice is to go with your gut instinct. They are kind of like children...you can read all the books in the world but what works for one person doesn't necessarily work for another. But believe me...I plan to camp around the forum and read as much as I possibly can. I really don't want to lose another golden at 8 years old. That was devastating!!

Again...congrats on your newest addition and can't wait to see photos!!

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
:wavey: and welcome!

I'm no expert, but this is what we're doing with our almost-5 month old guy.

He's on large breed puppy food, there are a lot of different ideas out there on what is best; adult, regular puppy or large breed puppy and for how long. I chose to feed Innova Large Breed Puppy formula. Hank is doing great on it and I'll switch him to the adult formula sometime after 6 months. He's growing steady, has a beautiful coat, nice skin and lots of energy.

We plan to have him neutered at 18 months for the reasons given by your breeder. We have a secure yard and no intact females nearby so unless we have some behavior problems come up we're going to wait until he's mature.

You'll just have to sift through all the information and decide what makes sense and works for you.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Welcome,

My puppy Bama was on puppy food until he was 5-6 months old. I then switched him to adult food. Maybe that could be a compromise to adult at 6 months.
I would also wait on the neutering until he was aleast 18 months old. I agree with your breeder on that. I have 2 male goldens Bama that has not been neutered and Pawley that was neutered at a young age. The difference in their bodies is very noticeable. Pawley has a thinner face, longer legs and Bama has a fuller head and shorter legs. It is the testosterone that helps them to fill out.

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
Welcome to GRF. Congratulations on the soon to be new addition. I won't get into the food choices but my Oakly was on adult food from day one. The breeders thinking was that it would improve bone and joint development by slowing growth.

As for neutering it seems to be the norm for golden owners to wait 18 months before neutering to allow the dogs frame and head to fully develop.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
for thoes that wait till 18 months to nuter your dog, how much spraying and stuff do you have to deal with, and at what age does it usaly start showing up.

Steve

·
Registered
358 Posts
Hi Steve!

Welcome and congrats! I feed my dogs (all of them) an All Life Stages of food so as to avoid the debate but do agree that the Calcium Pho. ratio is more important than the protien content for young puppies.

As for the neutering - I have 2 intact males in my house (Cooper - almost 5 and CJ who is 18 monthsish) - I have no problems with marking in my house or any agression. Outside is fair game and they pee on everything they can find but as long as it is outside I don't mind...

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Steve!

Welcome and congrats! I feed my dogs (all of them) an All Life Stages of food so as to avoid the debate but do agree that the Calcium Pho. ratio is more important than the protien content for young puppies.

As for the neutering - I have 2 intact males in my house (Cooper - almost 5 and CJ who is 18 monthsish) - I have no problems with marking in my house or any agression. Outside is fair game and they pee on everything they can find but as long as it is outside I don't mind...
thanks, I think I will look into the all stages. the breeder has it in the contract to switch to adult food at 12 weeks, so an all stages sounds like the best way to go.

So for the nutering I guess the best way would be to go as long as you can with no issues.

thanks for the info.

Steve

1 - 8 of 8 Posts