Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
AKA: Joyce
7,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Baby teeth question

Here's a bizarre question. I've been reading posts about puppies losing baby teeth. I've never been through this since I've only had adult dogs.
Is this something I need to watch for? I mean, do they swallow them if you don't catch it? I've never even thought about baby teeth since my kids were small and that's a lot of decades ago:D
4d 23h 46m away from my puppy!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Someone may have already suggested this but is it possible to get a blanket or something w/ the new puppy's scent on it? You could let you dog smell it and might help w/ the introduction. If that is not possible you might have the breeder send a towel or blanket w/ the mothers scent on it for the puppy so he will feel more secure at first.
congrats on your new baby!!! So excited for you!!

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
I did that with our Rose. It helped in the car bringing her home. As soon as we got home she acted like she knew where everything was as if she was born here.

I would suggest a towel with your new puppy's scent for your Akita dog. If she can start smelling her now she may be more accustomed to her when you do bring her home. I don't know how far the breeder is but I would take a towel and wrap the puppy in it, maybe let the puppy play with it, rub it all over him/her. Then leave another towel behind to get the mother and the litter mates scent.

Attachments

·
Our First Golden
108 Posts
Here's a bizarre question. I've been reading posts about puppies losing baby teeth. I've never been through this since I've only had adult dogs.
Is this something I need to watch for? I mean, do they swallow them if you don't catch it? I've never even thought about baby teeth since my kids were small and that's a lot of decades ago:D
I found a few of Hannah's on the floor and even spotted them jiggling loose in her mouth. I don't think it's a big deal if they're swallowed since they're so tiny. And you may see some blood on occasion, but don't panic. I noticed that chewies would indicate a little bleeding while she was teething on them and the teeth became loose.

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
Look in the stuffed toys during that time. Very few puppy owners actually find the teeth. The puppies do tend to swallow them. Just make sure to adjust the food to more canned food or add some water to the dry food.

Good idea to get them used to teeth brushing before they start loosing their teeth. And keep lots of chewing toys around.

Attachments

21 - 28 of 28 Posts