Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
AKA: Joyce
7,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!
I'm very excited to find this forum! I've had Golden's before but in 9 days I pick up Bentley, my new Golden puppy. It will be my 1st ever puppy as we always rescue adult dogs. We've had some wonderful dogs in the past but a puppy will be entirely new to us so I'm glad this forum is here to help me through it LOL

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Welcome to GRF. :)

Be sure to lurk and ask questions in the puppy section. New puppy parents go through the same things--there is lots of good info and solutions there.

Hope you'll post pix when you bring you baby home.

·
Beware of Nestle Purina
5,715 Posts
Welcome to the group:). Best of luck with the new addition :)

·
Ingrid, Now Mom to Brisby
1,111 Posts
Thank you for the welcome, the days are going so slowly. I feel like a 6 yr old on Dec 24th. LOL
Congrats on your new puppy!!

LOL...I know exactly how you feel. I'm picking up my new baby girl on Thursday so it's only 4 days for me now.

Looking forward to sharing stories with you after we get our new fur babies home.

·
7,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have been up all night worrying. I feel like I've done everything right so far in preparation for the new puppy so I don't understand the anxiety. Maybe I'm reading too many horror stories? :doh:
As I explained in another thread we have a 5 yr old Akita that was horribly abused, she's great now (had her 4 yrs). We have worked hard to socialize her. I even "borrowed" a dog last month to see how Ky would be. At 1st she ignored the dog (it was 40 lbs, she is 108 lbs). The dog cried ALL day, after about 4 hrs Ky picked up her favorite toy and threw it in the direction of the crying dog. I was so excited because she's not really into sharing since she never owned anything until we rescued her. After seeing her with that dog and watching her play with dogs at daycare I'm convinced she'll be fine after an adjustment period.
I have a crate set up for the puppy already, I bought a kiddie gate in case they need to be separated for any reason. I have set up a food station for puppy in a different room from Ky as I saw suggested on here.
They will not be left alone, always hubs or I will be here with them.
I felt very confident and excited about picking the puppy up on the 22nd, I'm still excited but don't understand why all of a sudden I'm a bit nervous.
If you have any suggestions, things I should have done that I missed I would love to hear them.
Thanks ♥

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
I have been up all night worrying. I feel like I've done everything right so far in preparation for the new puppy so I don't understand the anxiety. Maybe I'm reading too many horror stories? :doh:
As I explained in another thread we have a 5 yr old Akita that was horribly abused, she's great now (had her 4 yrs). We have worked hard to socialize her. I even "borrowed" a dog last month to see how Ky would be. At 1st she ignored the dog (it was 40 lbs, she is 108 lbs). The dog cried ALL day, after about 4 hrs Ky picked up her favorite toy and threw it in the direction of the crying dog. I was so excited because she's not really into sharing since she never owned anything until we rescued her. After seeing her with that dog and watching her play with dogs at daycare I'm convinced she'll be fine after an adjustment period.
I have a crate set up for the puppy already, I bought a kiddie gate in case they need to be separated for any reason. I have set up a food station for puppy in a different room from Ky as I saw suggested on here.
They will not be left alone, always hubs or I will be here with them.
I felt very confident and excited about picking the puppy up on the 22nd, I'm still excited but don't understand why all of a sudden I'm a bit nervous.
If you have any suggestions, things I should have done that I missed I would love to hear them.
Thanks ♥

It sounds like you are really well prepared. It's natural be anxious--it's lot like bringing home a baby. Have your the books by Dr Ian Dunbar? They are great if you're a newbie with puppies. You can get them for free on the Internet: Free Downloads | Dog Star Daily.

Try not to worry. It's gonna be great, and fun!

·
7,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Figured out my problem

Thank you for this link, I will certainly read them. I think I figured out my anxiety. I've always rescued dogs in the past, all in bad shape needing love. I felt at my age (won't disclose, let's just say I've lived under 13 Presidents LOL) I really wanted to have a puppy for the 1st time.
The day after I pd for the puppy a man called me and said his 94 yr old dad died and if I didn't agree to take in his 13 yr old dog he would have it put down. I begged him not to but I also didn't want to take in this dog that will most likely die soon of a broken heart. I've held too many dogs when they take that last breath.
I called the man today, he said his college age daughter would take the dog but she can't afford to. I made arrangements for his daughter to take the dog while I pay for all food, meds and vet visits. I feel better now knowing the other dog will live and I get to raise a puppy.
Thank you ♥

It sounds like you are really well prepared. It's natural be anxious--it's lot like bringing home a baby. Have your the books by Dr Ian Dunbar? They are great if you're a newbie with puppies. You can get them for free on the Internet: Free Downloads | Dog Star Daily.

Try not to worry. It's gonna be great, and fun!

·
I miss my Buddy
11,531 Posts
Thank you for this link, I will certainly read them. I think I figured out my anxiety. I've always rescued dogs in the past, all in bad shape needing love. I felt at my age (won't disclose, let's just say I've lived under 13 Presidents LOL) I really wanted to have a puppy for the 1st time.
The day after I pd for the puppy a man called me and said his 94 yr old dad died and if I didn't agree to take in his 13 yr old dog he would have it put down. I begged him not to but I also didn't want to take in this dog that will most likely die soon of a broken heart. I've held too many dogs when they take that last breath.
I called the man today, he said his college age daughter would take the dog but she can't afford to. I made arrangements for his daughter to take the dog while I pay for all food, meds and vet visits. I feel better now knowing the other dog will live and I get to raise a puppy.
Thank you ♥
Good bless you! I wish you all the best, enjoy your puppy.

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Thank you ♥
Well that's very generous of you to pay for all those expenses. Just to help you have more guilt-free fun--puppies need good homes as much as older rescue dogs. And people have the right to experience the joy of a puppy's antics and silliness. Lots of people on here have done every imaginable form of pet parenting. Looking forward to seeing pictures when your baby comes home!

·
Our First Golden
108 Posts
I'm so excited for you, Bentley's Mom!! :D

Hannah is my first puppy in about 30 years and first Golden. (I was born under Eisenhower, by the way... LOL!) We brought her home at 8 weeks. She's been a challenge, yes, but SUCH a lot of joy, too!

We (read "I"... since she's mommy's girl and daddy is very much a "chew toy" still at 8 1/2 months) crate-trained her and the first two and one-half weeks, I slept on the couch beside her in the family room so I was available when she stirred and needed to potty in the middle of the night. Then I set my alarm clock a few times per night to take her outside. The bonding started then and continues every day since I'm able to be with her all the time.

They're so eager to please from an early age. Hannah learned to fetch and return the very next morning after she came to our home... took about 10 minutes at 3 a.m. with a little puppy-sized vinyl dumbell. I texted my husband (he heads to work at 3) to let him know and he was like a dad missing his toddler's first steps! LOL

I'm rambling here, but wanted you to know, too, that I made mistakes... and she's still great and happy. Try to set the nervousness aside and enjoy the thrill of your new baby! Can't wait to see photos!!

·
7,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just got home from shopping for my puppy, I had a blast!! Of course, my wallet..no so much LOL
I bought things I didn't even know they made. Of course I had to also buy Ky new things too so she doesn't feel left out. Now I have the crate set up and it's full of toys, blankies ect so Ky is learning that is off limits to her. I'm not positive but I think I saw her stomp her foot and cuss behind my back :p:

Countdown to puppy: 6d 5h 16 m.. but who's counting right LOL

·
Our First Golden
108 Posts
Yay!!!

Funny, I hate shopping for myself, but can shop like crazy for Hannah and love every minute of it! (Especially if she's tagging along to help choose!)

·
Duda and Summer's Mom
321 Posts
welcome! :wavey:

·
7,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've stopped shopping at our local pet store, I only shop where you're not allowed to take your dog. I took Ky into the pet store where they allow 3 cats to wander around by themselves and it was a disaster to put it mildly. Ky HATES cats, I think they may have tormented her when she was tied to a tree for 1st yr of her life because it's really more than hate.
Anyway, while we were shopping that day I pulled out a dog bed to look at and a large black cat had been sleeping in it so he jumped out hissing and acting crazy, I almost needed depends and Ky went nuts. I immediately put her into a sit/stay while I collected myself. The cat disappeared, or so I thought. A few minutes later it was like the cat was stalking us (this is probably my imagination but whatever LOL) I asked an employee if he could do something about the cat because I also have a fear of them but he told me no. I left the store and never went back. The next closest store is quite a distance so now I buy dog supplies at Target or online. It's a shame because I would love to go shopping with Ky.

Yay!!!

Funny, I hate shopping for myself, but can shop like crazy for Hannah and love every minute of it! (Especially if she's tagging along to help choose!)

·
Our First Golden
108 Posts
Ohmigosh!! LOL!! Funny, but what are they thinking having cats out and about like that in a store that welcomes dogs?? I know lots of them get along with kitties, but still. Our old dude Cosmo loved his little sister Kami; Hannah just wants to pounce on her for now and Kami's just 8 pounds. We have tall puppy gates with those little kitty doors in them on two bedroom doors so she can have sanctuaries! :D

Hannah goes with me to Petsmart and Petco, Three Dog Bakery, Happy Tails and Bone Appetit here in Las Vegas. "Wanna go shopping??" is one of her favorite phrases.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that you get a Petsmart nearby... I've never seen cats in there!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts