Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are getting a new Golden Saturday, and we're so excited! My husband had a Golden when we got married, and we had to let him go to heaven in July. It was devastating! We're now ready for a new dog, who we've named Sam.

Sam is 2 1/2 and is coming to us from a Golden rescue. I haven't adopted a adult dog before (only a puppy and 2 kittens), so I wanted to ask a few questions.

1. What should we do to help him settle in? We're planning to get him about 1:00 on Saturday, and stay home with him until church on Sunday. We'll have to leave him for a few hours then.

2. We are going to a party Sunday afternoon, and Sam can't go. My in-laws have a Golden and have offered to bring her over to hang out with Sam. Would that help any?

3. Sam has had 2 owners in his 2 1/2 years of life. One for most of that time, and one for a short time. They second one brought him back to the rescue saying he was "too much dog". How can we help him understand that this is his forever home?

Thanks for your help! We want this to be a smooth, happy transition for Sam.

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the new addition. Since Sam is an adult you should be able to leave him OK on Sunday. If there is any doubt you may want to have a crate so you will know he will be safe while you are away. Looking forward to pictures.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Congratulations on your new pup Sam. As far as for leaving him for the party, if it is for a couple of hours then he should be ok. Give him a good treat toy like a kong filled with goodies and he will stay occupied while you are gone. Taking an obedience class together will help to make him feel secure and to bond together. Just love and spoil him and you will be amazed at how secure he will feel. Being a foster Mom nothing makes me happier than to see a pup come out of his shell and get secure. One of my failed fosters took about 2 months to feel more secure. One thing that really helped was to take him swimming, he loves swimming. All the cheering on to get the balls really boasted him up.
Good luck and we would love to see some pictures here.

·
Marcy
8,914 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I would take him for a good long walk between church and the party, so he is tired and not anxious. Is he housetrained? Was he an inside dog? Find out from the rescue if you are going to need a crate. Good luck and get that camera ready!

·
Registered
274 Posts
Congratulations and welcome!

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
Congratulations!!!!!

Every rescue dog is different and I hope Sam is one that is just happy to have somewhere to hang out. The rescue/foster parents should be able to help a lot with information.

I've had 5 rescues in the last 8 years. All but one were adults and I only knew the history on one since he was an owner release. I found my first one and the other two (one I still have:)) were shelter rescues. Only one had problems and he was just scared of everything for the first three months. (shrug). They have all been great dogs and my best friends. Since I adopt senior dogs, I just don't get to have them as long.:(

1. the rescue should be able to help you with information about leaving him on Sunday for church since they will know his personality.

2. Are your in-laws and their dog willing to stay at your house for the party? If not, I don't think I would leave him with a new dog unless they get along extremely well.

3. although Sam has had two owners he doesn't know that and will most likely be happy to be with you. You should ask the rescue what they meant by him being "too much dog" and plan to deal with whatever the problem is (and it might have been a problem with the previous adopter not him). At 2 1/2 he will probably need a lot of exercise too.

I hope it is a match made in heaven and you all have a great time together.
Pictures would be wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
RIP Sweet Skyler
9,306 Posts
Bless You for the rescue. I would look into crate training fairly soon so as to help Sam and yourselves relax a bit. The crate can definetly become their safe haven if done correctly. Remember that some rescues come with a little history so make sure and ask about any quirks that the Rescue Group might have seen. Have no fear - once Sam feels your love he'll know he's in his forever home. I would probably let him get accustomed to your house without doggie visitors for a couple of days. Let him get a feel for his new home first. Having had a Golden before you know the joy they bring and what is best for them overall - exercise, love and more exercise.

·
Boudiga
4,102 Posts
thank you for rescuing!

a few things -

expect him to be very tired at first, it's normal and it's fine. his real personality and energy level will appear after about a week.

expect him to be kind of shy and want his own space - let him have it. don't force interactions, let me get comfortable and come to you.

expect some potty mistakes as he tries to figure out the new routines and timetables of your home.

i would not immediately introduce him to a new dog (especially if you won't be there) unless you know how he reacts. getting placed in a new home is alot of stress, and adding an unknown dog + unknown people right away might be too much for him.

and, exercise, exercise, exercise, exercise! :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
To answer a few questions...

We are very blessed that Sam had original owners who loved him very much and took great care of him. He has been inside a home except for short times at the rescue. He has gotten to be a very big boy (100 pounds, but not overweight...just big according to the vet). In fact, that's his rescue name--Big Boy. Our last Golden was 125 pounds and a different vet said the same about him. Anyway, his original owners were elderly. They were walking him on a retractable leash (which doesn't seem like a good idea with a big dog), and Sam got interested in something and pulled hard on the leash. As a result, the elderly man fell and broke his hip. They felt that they couldn't take care of him anymore at that point. They surrendered him to the rescue.

He was adopted but returned by his next owner after a week. This man had knee surgery recently and felt that Sam was too much to handle with his other Golden. They were playing pretty hard, apparently, but having a great time together. He couldn't keep up with both of them with his knee surgery.

Sam will be our only dog and will join 2 feline siblings. The kitties got along fine with our other Golden and with my in-laws Golden. Any thoughts on introducing the latest member of the family to the self-appointed king and queen of the household?

Regarding leaving Sam with my in-law's dog, it would be at our house. Sam will be spending a lot of time with this dog, and my in-law's are going to be our "doggie daycare". Any thoughts?

·
Super Moderator Leader
50,381 Posts
CONGRATULATIONS Sam's Mom! I'm anxious to see pics of your beautiful boy and hear the stories. Hope it all goes well. I'm with CFGRR based in Wilmington, NC-in my opinion there is nothing better than an Adopted Golden. I adopted a puppy mill mom through CFGRR-long process but so very well worth it.

I hope the transition goes well and you have many many years of enjoyment and love with Sam.

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
So excited for you and sam

I AM so very excited for you and SAM.

As far as leaving SAM with the other Golden Ret. I would make sure they meet outside on neutral ground and see how they get along-probably great and if they get along great leave them together on Sunday or in the unlikely event they don't just leave him alone.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts