Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
lizandhector
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am feeling nervous because Zoey is getting spayed tomorrow morning. It is going to be strange to not have her at the house all day. I am sure everything will go fine, but I wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions on how to make her comfortable when she comes home? Or how did any of your babies do with this? How long is the recovery time? Have your pups gotten stitches that need to come out eventually, or have to wear an e-collar? Thanks!

·
lizandhector
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
In addition, I guess I don't know how to add the little "dog ticker" at the bottom.... I thought I had it figured out. Anyone know how to do this? :)

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
Even though it is real surgery they recovery very quickly. I've never even had to use an E-collar with my previous females. I'll bet she will be wanting to play within a day or two. They toughest thing is trying to limit her activity.

·
Registered
86 Posts
My Daisy is due for spaying within a few weeks too. My partner and I know it has to be done, but for the past few weeks just talking about it really does brings tears to our eyes, Daisy is with me 24/7 (I don't work and we are together for always) and I will be so very worried about leaving her - she is joined at my hip.

I told the vet Daisy will be extremely distraught if I have to leave her. Fortunately the vet allows owners to stay with pups/dogs during the sedative whilst they go sleepy byes.

But even now, my partner and I keep getting teary about it - though of course we know all will absolutely fine - it's just the thought of having to leave her without me, she's so used to being with me 24/7 :-(

But the vets have allowed me to leave one of my socks with her, for some reason Daisy loves my socks, bra's and knickers lol Bless her :) (No way will I leave my Knickers/bra's with her at the vets, leaving my socks are fine lol)

·
Registered
401 Posts
I know it can be nerve-racking, but she will be fine. I have always had my dogs spayed and neutered. And I agree that the biggest problem is getting the golden to limit their activity. I was so worried that Sully would somehow chew on her stitches while I was at work. I seriously thought about taking time off which is not easy as a teacher. But she was fine and so was Scotty when he got fixed. Just remember to relax before taking her so she doesn't get nervous before getting to the vet.

·
Sophie's Mommy
197 Posts
sophie is going in to be spayed in a few weeks also, and i know what you all mean...i too get teary eyed every time we start talking about it, but of course i know it has to be done...its going to be a very hard day!!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Agreed that the hardest part of it all is making sure to limit their activity for 2 weeks! They usually act like they're 100% and try to convince you they can run around within a few days.....of course we know better lol!

·
lizandhector
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just wanted to take a minute to say thank you all for your support and understanding my anxieties about Zoey's spaying today. She is back home tonight and is curled up on the couch next to me. The vet said she was a great patient and everything went well. She is groggy and sleepy now. I am sure she will return to herself by tomorrow and I will have to try to keep her activities restricted!

For those of you who are having to go through this soon, it wasn't as bad as I was thinking. I kept myself busy today so I didn't have to think about too much about her and how she wasn't here in the house with me today.

Thanks again to all!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts