Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two goldens already. They are 6 and 7 years old. I bought them from decent breeders at 8 weeks and they have been great.

I just put a deposit down on a new puppy today. I have questioned and reviewed this breeder. She seems to know what she is talking about. The only problem I have is that the puppies are available at 6 weeks. They are only 2 weeks now and I planned on waiting at least 8 weeks. Should I be worried? Should I ask for her to keep him for 8 weeks? There's 11 in the litter so I figured not everyone would take their pup at 6 weeks and I want him to socialize with his littermates as much as possible. Has anyone taken their pup home at 6 weeks?

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have two goldens already. They are 6 and 7 years old. I bought them from decent breeders at 8 weeks and they have been great.

I just put a deposit down on a new puppy today. I have questioned and reviewed this breeder. She seems to know what she is talking about. The only problem I have is that the puppies are available at 6 weeks. They are only 2 weeks now and I planned on waiting at least 8 weeks. Should I be worried? Should I ask for her to keep him for 8 weeks? There's 11 in the litter so I figured not everyone would take their pup at 6 weeks and I want him to socialize with his littermates as much as possible. Has anyone taken their pup home at 6 weeks?
In my experience people who take their pups home at six weeks pay through the nose with socialization problems because of it. And honestly (no offense to the op) I would have to wonder about any breeder who lets them go home that early. The biting/nipping as a puppy is usually significantly worse. This is just my opinion.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
According to the link below it is against the law to offer a puppy for sale before 8 weeks old in the state of Florida.

Age to Sell Puppy Table

Florida
http://www.animallaw.info/statutes/stusfl828_01_29.htm#s29
FL ST § 828.29

Any person
Less than 8 weeks old
Transport into the state for sale or offer for sale within the state
Misdemeanor of the first degree as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083

No

(4) A person may not transport into the state for sale or offer for sale within the state any dog or cat that is less than 8 weeks of age.

·
AKA: Joyce
7,442 Posts
I agree that there are many questions about the breeder here. To answer your question though, Bentley came home at 6 weeks. Is he worse for wear because of it? I really have no clue. He is my wonderful, zany, mischievous, dufus and has been a fun, aggravating, hot mess since I got him. I believe that's just his personality and I really wouldn't change him if I could.
As far as health, he was fine coming home at 6 weeks. We have a 5 yr old dog here and they bonded immediately and she helped raise him.

I am now working with an anti puppy mill group and I'm learning a lot. There seems to be some theories that leaving mom and siblings too young can possibly cause behavior problems down the road. As I said, I have no idea if Bentley would have been different if he had a better start to life but he was in horrid conditions so he was much better off coming home to me early that staying in that filth.

Just a few things come to mind. What are the conditions your pup is living in? Does the breeder do all of the clearances on the adults? Have you seen the paperwork? (very important, don't stand on faith. you have to lay eyes on paper) Did you pay the price of a reputable breeder?
I have since learned that no reputable breeder would even consider letting a pup go before 8 weeks, in fact it's safe to say that you couldn't beg or pay enough to make that happen.

My "breeder" said all the right things but I didn't know all the right questions.
Whatever you decide I wish you luck and happiness. These pups are so much work and so much fun. There's not enough money in the world that would make me change one single thing about Bentley.

·
Registered
195 Posts
We bought our puppy at 8 weeks. Many people have agreed that this is the right time to take your puppy home. I have heard of socialization issues if you take them away from mom and littermates too early. Puppies need time to learn how to play and other dogs to tell them their bite strength is too hard.

Good luck! I strongly believe in buying from a reputable breeder and someone who acts in the best interest of the dog.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
In my experience people who take their pups home at six weeks pay through the nose with socialization problems because of it. And honestly (no offense to the op) I would have to wonder about any breeder who lets them go home that early. The biting/nipping as a puppy is usually significantly worse. This is just my opinion.
Not necessarily true...Hank was given to me as a gift at 5.5 weeks. He's almost 4 y.o. and has no socialization problems. I have raised 5 puppies (2 Goldens) in my life and he was the least nippy.

Should the OP question the breeder? Absolutely, but a early-released puppy isn't always doomed.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I brought Jake home at 6 weeks, actually he was a surprise for my Christmas. The owner of the pups was my current Vet and his assistant. I've never discussed this with my Vet but he didn't seem to have an issue with it (obviously). I would think 8 weeks would be better but I'm no expert.

I don't recall having any issues with Jake but every situation is different.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I have to say I feel like this gives me strong associations to the famous quote "I smoked cigarettes when I was pregnant, and my baby turned out ok..."

Can a pup taken at 6 weeks turn out just fine? Yes.
Is it in any way a good idea? No!

It should never be encouraged to accept a puppy being taken from its mother before 8 weeks, even if you know of a case that turned out fine.
My opinion.

·
Registered
331 Posts
We got our dog from a friend who got him at 6 weeks and I was worried about socializing, etc. he is fine. If I were looking for a golden breeder, I would not have chosen this breeder but thank goodness he is a sweety. I do believe in keeping the babies with the mom and litter mates for at least 8 weeks.

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
From my own experience raising pups, they interact with each other so much in those last two weeks. As far as the moms, some of my girls never tire from being with their pups and others are done way before the pups are eight weeks...

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
I can show you pictures to attest to this. Tayla's original owner got her at 5 weeks and gave her up for adoption at 4 months. We adopted a landshark. I have done lots of research, spent lots of money on evaluations with her and training, gone through more shirts and pants, band-aids, bloody arms and legs and so many bruises that people looked at me funny. It took us until she was just shy of 1 year to combat that issue. If you can leave that puppy, do it. Her entire puppy hood with us was a nightmare.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I brought Sadie home at 6 week and I don't think she should have been let go that early. She didn't get the chance to be told off by her litter mates.

·
Kristy
9,158 Posts
No good breeder will release puppies at 6 weeks-for any reason. Period.
I think this is really the point here. I happen to know that there are excellent reputable breeders within easy driving distance of Tallahassee and there is no reason to associate with or support a breeder who isn't 100% ethical.

·
Shoregold
670 Posts
Way to young. For those who raise puppies the right way the last two weeks with their litter is important. It is a shame when someone takes short cuts because it is easier or cheaper.. Week 7 and 8 are hard work and cost more with food and care. To me the only reason they would send them home early is to make a buck without caring what kind of dog they will be when the go home.

Will the pup grow up without any issues......maybe? The point is just like researching clearances, longevity, health and temperament, how they are raised should be added. Don't you want the best possibilities for the best companion you can have for as long as we can. Why would you go to someone who doesn't offer them the best headstart to increase the odds for their new life with you.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts